Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

last days of gerry the elephant

A show of hand please, who liked the old Criterion website better?

*raises hand*

tpfkabi

Quote from: bigideas on November 25, 2008, 10:12:49 PM
I was in Target the other day and very surprised to see two copies of Fear and Loathing Criterion. It's been out so long that I figured they would already stop stocking it. I know with their CD's you'll usually only see the latest release of any artist.

Now I know why.
I read somewhere that Fear & Loathing was their best selling title.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Oh how I hate The Auteurs forums. It reminds me that even though some people claim to be interested in fine cinema, they will remain douche bags.

Ravi

Quote from: omuy on December 12, 2008, 11:30:45 PM
Oh how I hate The Auteurs forums. It reminds me that even though some people claim to be interested in fine cinema, they will remain douche bags.

What do you mean "even though?"

What do you mean "What do you mean "even though?"?"

Despite the fact that people at the Auteurs claim to be interested in 'classic and fine cinema', a lot of them still come off stupid and immature.

Ravi

I was being tongue-in-cheek, because there are plenty of people like that who are interested in "fine (cinema, music, etc.)"  Some people feel that because they're into such things they are better or smarter than others.  I went through that phase when I was younger.

It's not just belittling others on the forum, they're genuinely stupid... Just go and look at the types of threads circulating right now, for example, some idiot is asking if he should buy breathless or contempt although he watched Band of Outsiders and didn't really like it... I don't know, maybe I'm over reacting.

edison

New, restored high-definition digital transfer (uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
Two audio commentaries: one featuring Annette Insdorf, author of François Truffaut, and one with actor Gérard Depardieu, historian Jean-Pierre Azéma, and Truffat biographer Serge Toubiana
Deleted scene
French television excerpts of interviews with Truffaut, and actors Catherine Deneuve, Depardieu, and Jean Poiret
New video interviews with actresses Andréa Ferréol, Sabine Haudepin, and Paulette Dubost, assistant director Alain Tasma, and camera assistants Florent Bazin and Tessa Racine
Une histoire d'eau, Truffaut's 1958 short film co-directed by Jean-Luc Godard
Theatrical trailer
New and improved English subtitle translation
PLUS: A new essay by Armond White

New, restored high-definition digital transfer
New video interviews with Isabella, Renzo, and Ingrid Rossellini, as well as
film scholar Adriano Aprà
New visual essay by Tag Gallagher, author of The Adventures of Roberto Rossellini
Original theatrical trailer
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic James Monaco and an excerpt from a 2000 interview with Indro Montanelli, author of the story that inspired the film

Also coming in March:

New, restored high-definition digital transfer
Akira Kurosawa: It Is Wonderful to Create, a 36-minute documentary created as part of the Toho Masterworks series, about the making of Dodes'ka-den, including interviews with director Akira Kurosawa, script supervisor Teruyo Nogami, actor Yoshitaka Zushi (who played Rokkuchan), and other members of the cast and crew
Theatrical trailer
PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film historian Stephen Prince and a new interview with Nogami

MacGuffin

Okay, here's my beef with the Blu-Ray discs... The discs are the same size as the regular DVDs, so why place them in smaller packaging? The Man Who Fell To Earth Blu does not come with the book that the standard disc has. Why?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

2 Francois Truffaut films on Blu-ray & on time for my birthday (only a few days shy but close enough)... I was REALLY happy to read this news.

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 16, 2008, 05:41:53 PM
Okay, here's my beef with the Blu-Ray discs... The discs are the same size as the regular DVDs, so why place them in smaller packaging? The Man Who Fell To Earth Blu does not come with the book that the standard disc has. Why?

I agree with this. Except I like the small packaging, DVDs should have come in small packaging to begin with.
But now if you're storing your Criterion Blu-rays next to your other Criterions, it will look stupid though you'll easily tell which ones are Blu-ray.

edison

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET:

New high-definition digital transfer
Video interviews with director Andrzej Wajda, screenwriter Jean-Claude Carrière, and Polish film critic Jerzy Plazewski
Wajda's "Danton," a 42-minute behind-the-scenes documentary on the making of the film
Original theatrical trailer
PLUS: A new essay by film scholar Leonard Quart

tpfkabi

I noticed those Godard posters are back on their site.
That's dirty if they just took it down for the sale.
Seems kinda fast for a reprinting, but then again, I know nothing of the such.

They sold off their stock and reprinted them when they moved to the new office.

Stop complaining and pick them up while your still can.

tpfkabi

Quote from: omuy on December 23, 2008, 01:41:48 PM
They sold off their stock and reprinted them when they moved to the new office.

Stop complaining and pick them up while your still can.

I don't want to pay $25.
That's too high for a poster to me.
The chance to get them on sale was the only thing that got me interested again.