Satcho9

last days of gerry the elephant

great article, thanks for sharing!

edison

Up for January:

Special Features
- New, restored digital transfer
- Taking Power, a multimedia essay by Tag Gallagher, author of The Adventures of Roberto Rossellini
- The Last Utopia, a documentary about Rossellini's late career
- Video interview with artistic advisor Jean Dominique de la Rochefoucauld and script supervisor Michelle Podroznik
- Video interview with Renzo Rossellini
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A new essay by critic Colin McCabe

Special Features
- SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- Audio commentary featuring film scholar Thomas Doherty Magnificent Obsession (1935, 102 minutes): a new digital transfer of John M. Stahl's complete earlier version of the film
- Douglas Sirk: From UFA to Hollywood (1991): a rare 80-minute documentary by German filmmaker Eckhart Schmidt in which Sirk reflects upon his career
- Video interviews with filmmakers Allison Anders and Kathryn Bigelow, paying tribute to Sirk
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by film critic Geoffrey O'Brien

Special Features   also in Blu-ray
- DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer supervised and approved by director Gregory Nava
- New audio commentary featuring Nava
- In the Service of the Shadows: The Making of "El Norte": a new video program featuring interviews with Nava, producer and cowriter Anna Thomas, actors Zaide Silvia Gutiérrez and David Villalpando, and set designer David Wasco
- Wall of Silence, a new short documentary by Nava and Barbara Martinez Jitner, concerning the building of the wall along the U.S.-Mexico border
- The Journal of Diego Rodriguez Silva, the 1972 award-winning student film by Nava
- Gallery of Chipas location-scouting photographs
- Theatrical trailer
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by novelist Héctor Tobar and Roger Ebert's 1983 review of the film

Is it bad if I don't know any of these?

Pozer

that's what i think everytime i'm in the Now Playing thread.

john

Quote from: omuy on October 15, 2008, 06:20:20 PM
Is it bad if I don't know any of these?

Not as bad as the fact that, while my father has recommended El Norte to me for years, I haven't taken an active interest in seeing it, and probably will only do so now that it's being christened Criterion-worthy. All the while bitching about hypothetical fans who buy Criterion shirts being nothing more than snotty label whores.

Glad to see Magnificent Obsession on there, though.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

samsong

Quote from: john on October 15, 2008, 08:08:04 PMGlad to see Magnificent Obsession on there, though.

especially glad to see that they've included the john stahl film as well, which leads me to think/hope that criterion will acquire the rights for one of my favorite sirk films, imitation of life.  i can use some more sirk by way of criterion in my life.

cinemanarchist

All too busy shopping already??? :yabbse-grin:

Dear Criterion viewers,
We've got some big news. We're launching a new website on November 25, and we're moving warehouses in the process. To clear the way for the new site, we're selling everything on our current site at 40% off the retail price. That includes clothing, posters, mugs, totebags, and of course every Criterion DVD in stock! You'll still get free shipping on orders over $50, and your purchases will still count toward our loyalty program if you create an account on our new site. We won't be taking new preorders or back orders—this sale is strictly "while supplies last," so shop early and often. Come on down, browse around, and stock up on holiday gifts at unbeatable prices, while you also help us move to our new digs! Sale ends Monday, November 24, at midnight.
Happy shopping!
My assholeness knows no bounds.

The Perineum Falcon

Hmmmm, I think the bank just upped my credit limit........
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cinemanarchist

By how much? In this instance I'm all for helping Criterion directly because hopefully they get a bigger chunk when they sell it themselves...but I could be wrong on that.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

MacGuffin

With the Criterion site, you're taking "40% off the retail price." With DDD, you take "an additional 25% off" the already discounted price. For example, I looked up Vampyr. At CC - $23.97 At DDD - $19.42 Maybe that's not much, but it adds up when you have to reach $50 for the free s&h.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks