NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

Started by NEON MERCURY, November 09, 2003, 08:52:13 PM

cinemanarchist

The first time I drove drunk in the game I was giggling like a fucking school girl. I "heart" the shit out of this fucking game. This game may also use the word "titty" more than any other...For that and so many other reasons it has earned my respect and adoration.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Stefen

I put in 11 hours today. I played the shit outta it.

I needed a break, so I started playing Mario Kart for a couple hours. My Wii friend code is 3050-7978-9907 if anyone wants to add me. I'm really good though, so, you might not want to.

Also, I STILL haven't reached the next island or burrough on GTA. Granted, I'm taking my time, but still.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reinhold

Neon Mercury's Liberty City Vacation Thread.

my friend al got the game yesterday and played as much as he could between class and work. apparently the part of the city in which the game starts is the analogous to the area of NY where he lives... he says that there are a surprising number of details that noticeably reference the real, in some cases minute, details of his NY neighborhood in a unique GTA way.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Stefen

The amount of detail in GTA IV is just astounding. If you get hit by a car it really feels like you got hit by a car. You even lose your glasses or hat and have to get a new one. I stole a Prius and the passenger was still in the vehicle, so I drove it at top speed down the rest of the road then bailed on the car and it slammed into a wall and the passenger went flying out the windshield and all the pedestrians gathered around yelling "Somebody call an ambulance!." It was nuts.

The garbage trucks have two guys hanging on the back picking up trash.

The joggers in their track suits stop to drink water from a water bottle every so often.

I tried stealing a car and the driver got out, clutched his chest and had a heart attack.

I tried jacking someones SUV and they refused to get out so I shot them in the face through the windshield and the blood splattered on the windshield and the driver fell face first on the steering wheel and made the horn go off non-stop.

If you go to the internet cafe you can check the news based on your political leaning. The conservative news talks about liberals wanting to take away your freedom.

The radio stations have faux advertisements. My favorite one was something like "I used to feel bad all the time. I didn't know what it was. I thought I was gay or maybe transgender, but after trying both of those, I  came to the conclusion that I just don't like walking" It was a commercial for a comfortable pair of shoes.

That's just what I can think of NOW.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Chest Rockwell

Fuck all y'all - the first GTA I can't play since GTA III. One of the few times I'm truly jealous of 360/PS3 owners.

How big is the map in this one? I thought the San Andreas map was huge and at times annoying when it came to moving between cities. I can only imagine how big Liberty City must be now.

brockly

Quote from: Stefen on April 30, 2008, 01:02:09 AM

I needed a break, so I started playing Mario Kart for a couple hours. My Wii friend code is 3050-7978-9907 if anyone wants to add me. I'm really good though, so, you might not want to.

Also, I STILL haven't reached the next island or burrough on GTA. Granted, I'm taking my time, but still.

what a nerd.

..i added you to my mario kart wii friend roster. my friend code is 1161-0087-6659.

jtm

Quote from: brockly on May 01, 2008, 01:20:30 AM
..i added you to my mario kart wii friend roster. my friend code is 1161-0087-6659.

what a nerd.

brockly

jtm

yeah, i got the correlation between your first sentence and your next.  :yabbse-rolleyes:

and that was the point of my post.

Stefen

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on May 01, 2008, 12:35:23 AM
Fuck all y'all - the first GTA I can't play since GTA III. One of the few times I'm truly jealous of 360/PS3 owners.

How big is the map in this one? I thought the San Andreas map was huge and at times annoying when it came to moving between cities. I can only imagine how big Liberty City must be now.

It's alot smaller than San Andreas, but it's more dense and populated. Also, you don't really need to drive everywhere if you don't want. You can hail down a cab and have him take you where you want to go instantly.

Stefen

Quote from: brockly on May 01, 2008, 01:20:30 AM
Quote from: Stefen on April 30, 2008, 01:02:09 AM

what a nerd.

Werd.

How are you playing? I was using the Wiiwheel, but I found the Wiimote and Nunchuck to be more enjoyable. I play ONLY online now. It's alot more fun.

NEON MERCURY

from kotaku

GTA IV Runs At 630P on PlayStation 3

So What's That Mean?  Early test reports are finding that Grand Theft Auto IV is only running at 630P on the PlayStation 3—falling short of hi def—while the game runs at 720P on the Xbox 360. Clearly, the PlayStation version must look worse, right? It's not that simple. But the basic explanation is easy enough to understand.

You know 720P (along with 1080P) as "high definition" content. What 720P really means is that 720 lines of resolution are displayed on your television in "progressive" format—meaning all at once.

So if GTA IV is running at only 630P on the PS3, that does mean PS3 gamers are seeing 90 less lines of resolution—or quite a bit from a relative standpoint. And it's fast-approaching the Wii's standard def, 480p output.

The bottom line is that resolution does matter, but the more lines of resolution you add will depreciate in value. There's an interesting stat that always sticks in my head: From only about 10 feet away, most people cannot tell a 720p image from a 1080p image on a 42" television.

I'm not sure how well I could differentiate a 630P signal from a 720P signal from 10 feet away. But I'm sure that, given large enough televisions and sharp enough eyes, some of us could. Especially in a game context.

But what we'd be overlooking is that eyes-on reports show that Rockstar has taken the processing power formerly spent on resolution and added it to filters (and maybe even lighting). If GTA IV feels warmer or softer on PS3, that's probably why. And that's where taste triumphs numbers.

(If you're having a tough time wrapping your head around the filter concept, mess with the settings in Mass Effect.)

At the end of the day, both versions look good. But the PS3 used methods other than raw resolution to get there. Of course sharpness and detail is an important—that will be the biggest bonus of 720P. But in an era when we're past merely counting polygons on the screen to measure graphical quality, we shouldn't blow small numbers out of proportion. In short, it's not just the size of your P, but how you use it that matters.

Gamblour.

Not to interrupt the GTA 4 talk (I'm extremely jealous), but has anyone been eyeing this:

Metal Gear 4 PS3 80GB bundle

This is the one, I'm finally going to get a PS3. It's either dropping on June 12th or the 30th (it's kind of unclear), until then I am extremely jealous.

I've got to get another controller, GTA4, The Simpsons game, and then something on Blu-Ray. The specs on the player are great, it's region free, it upscales, very fucking excited. I haven't owned a system since N64.
WWPTAD?

Stefen

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?