Rented Four Rooms last night...

Started by markums2k, July 21, 2003, 10:35:00 AM

Alexandro

holy shit. i saw this again for the first time in 12 years and it's way worst than I remembered. the first to episodes are painful, are bringyoudowntotears painful to watch.

rodriguez is the only one who kind of gets its right.
tarantino, well...ok...

but it's weird how tim roth only really makes his performance work in the rodriguez segment.

SiliasRuby

This film is a scatterbrained piece of frustration that works overall but is weak when you just watch the segments separately. The sum being much more than its parts.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Alexandro

Not for me. This doesn't work separately or any other way. The first two episodes are embarrasing. I don't know the back story but I just don't understand how no one just stoped this at some point and tried to get some sense into all these guys heads. The acting is really off the mark, starting with Roth, who is not really miscast, it's just that he depends so much on ticks and manerisms and caricature. It only works in the Rodriguez segment because he made a cartoon with humans there. And Banderas is funny too.

But those first two (and I would include the opening credits) are like a compilation of the worst attributes in the 90's american independent movement. Very self indulgent in general, and not in any kind of good way. Tarantino's piece is kind of ok, but he just doesn't cut it as an actor, and in the end what's the point really of remaking an alfred hitchcock presents epidose for the big screen? Trivia?

I guess I was just blown away by how bad it really is. 

Stefen

I haven't seen this since I was like 14 years old. I remember enjoying Rodriguez and QT's parts, but hated the other two.

All I really remember is that QT's part involved a finger and Bruce Willis is hilarious in it. Roberts part had children and I think a dead body.

Really, the only thing I know for sure is that Bruce Willis is hilarious in it. The rest is hazy. I'd probably hate it now. I bet it is the epitome of the self-indulgent independent 90's aesthetic of filmmaking.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

New Feeling

Quote from: Alexandro on April 13, 2009, 07:30:24 PM
But those first two (and I would include the opening credits) are like a compilation of the worst attributes in the 90's american independent movement. Very self indulgent in general, and not in any kind of good way. Tarantino's piece is kind of ok, but he just doesn't cut it as an actor, and in the end what's the point really of remaking an alfred hitchcock presents epidose for the big screen? Trivia?

I recently watched this for the first time in 12 years or so and thought it was still mildly entertaining all the way through.  The first two are certainly nothing special but have a smattering of little pleasures for my brain anyway.  Rodriguez's is pretty near the top of his game and Quentin's piece is actually a pretty interesting look at his own instant celebrity.  It's not great but certainly it's more than just a re-hash of the AHP episode, which really only takes up the last few minutes.  Quentin's performance has some bumps but it's mildly enjoyable and yes Bruce Willis is very funny.  The whole project is a mess but I think it's a pleasant mess that I'm glad to have sitting around. 

Fernando

and in the end what's the point really of remaking an alfred hitchcock presents epidose for the big screen?

I don't know if Hitchcock did something similar but the QT segment as far as I know was taken from an episode of Tales of the Unexpected, a British series from the 70's and 80's, in that episode a compulsive gambler bets his ferrari or whatever exotic car he had to a guy with lighter, he bets he can't light it ten times straight against the lighter guy's pinky, before they can finish the bet (around the 7th try) the gambler's wife appears and says he doesn't own the car anymore, and that in fact he lost everything already and that she only lost twice, showing her hand with three fingers.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Fernando on April 14, 2009, 10:28:59 AM
and in the end what's the point really of remaking an alfred hitchcock presents epidose for the big screen?

I don't know if Hitchcock did something similar but the QT segment as far as I know was taken from an episode of Tales of the Unexpected, a British series from the 70's and 80's, in that episode a compulsive gambler bets his ferrari or whatever exotic car he had to a guy with lighter, he bets he can't light it ten times straight against the lighter guy's pinky, before they can finish the bet (around the 7th try) the gambler's wife appears and says he doesn't own the car anymore, and that in fact he lost everything already and that she only lost twice, showing her hand with three fingers.

They are both adapted from the same Roald Dahl short story, The Man From The South.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0508196/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0717498/
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pozer

Quote from: markums2k on July 21, 2003, 10:35:00 AM
Rented watched Four Rooms the end of Kill Bill 1 followed by Kill Bill 2 on cable last night...

Quote from: Alexandro on April 13, 2009, 03:23:33 PM
holy shit. i saw this them again for the first time in 12 years and it's they're way worst than I remembered. the first to episodes one are is painful, the second one are is bringyoudowntotears painful to watch.

rodriguez the guy who plays Michael Madsen's boss is the only one who kind of gets its right.
tarantino, well...ok...his self-indulgence has/will continue to cause his movies to age poorly.

but it's weird how tim roth both movies only really would makes his performance work in the with Porodriguezer's ideas for segment alternate endings.