and she wore....Blue Velvet

Started by NEON MERCURY, December 02, 2003, 11:55:29 PM

NEON MERCURY

....this film(like most/all) of hi sfilms arenear perfect masterpieces...if you think thuis film sucks in anny possibleway..then post here and watch how i can channge your minnnd....which will make you abetter person

freakerdude

MC Pee Pants

xerxes

i'm a fan of lynch but i just don't really like this one

Weak2ndAct

Blue Velvet is my favorite film of all time.  I saw it when I was 11 and it seriously messed me up forever-- in a good, creative way.  Can't sing it's praises enough.

freakerdude

Like I said in a previous thread, BV turned me into a real movie freak......or a cinephile as you folks say it.
MC Pee Pants

ono

We've already gone over this once in that old thread, but perhaps it'll be different this time.

Reading the Xixax Dekapenticon thread and the "Classics I Wasn't a Fan of" thread, I was thinking about Blue Velvet, wondering what other people see in it that I don't.  Granted, the cinematography is great.  And the narrative is fairly straightforward.  Good for Lynch.  I'll give him that to his credit.

But what I want to know is for those of you who are a bit older than the majority of people on this site, perhaps those of you who were fortunate enough to see it back in 1986.  What exactly is it about the film is so revolutionary as far as society and cinema goes?  Is it the sexuality in the film?  What else could it be?  What are other films from each decade that are comparable?  Why do you think this is?  I.E., what elements in a film make it have such an impact?

I mean, we all have our films we think about as great, but there hasn't been anything as lauded as Raging Bull or Blue Velvet for the 1990s (though I shudder that someday Titanic may be called that film, but I can't think of anything else, really).  No other film has been so sensational, so risque, so controversial, so important in so many different ways.  All according to the majority opinion of "people who matter," that is.  Any ideas?

Sleuth

I'm not one of the people you ask, but maybe it's because it's setup as a sort of young adults mystery with something so much more profane that the final product is disturbing.
I like to hug dogs

SHAFTR

although Im not a fan of the film, I think it's because it's a surrealist crime thriller.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

TheVoiceOfNick

Blue Velvet is smooth as silk, but with just enough texture and tone to make it velvety.  Seriously though, this is definetly a great movie... the movie that made me a Lynch fan... that and Mulholland Drive.

NEON MERCURY

FOR SHAFTR...AND ONO....

..here's my take...BV was mt ffirst foray into lynnnch.....i saw the elepahnt mannn btu didn't knnow about lynnch (the artist) yet.....when watching the elephant mann i did get that wierd ffeeling that years later from watching BV, lost highway, and esp. Mulholland drive, that sticks with you annnnd phucks w/your head after watching his ffilms.......

...so here are the reasonnnns why i like BL....

1.0  dennnnnis hopper's frank booth...he scared the sh*t out of me.....that gas mask shit...and his whole persona...thats the best screen villian ever.....that beginnnning scene where he's cuttinnng her dress annd sticks a piece of it in his mouth while screaming."daddy wants to fuck"...that whole ffphucking scene is innncredible....its sexual, morbid, annnd hilarious all at once....THAT IS TIP OF THE ICEBERG GENIUS OF LYNCH.....

2.0  i liked the hokey dialogue....its campy....like alot of twin peaks dialogue is the same way...like when jefffery asks dernnn's caharacter at the dinnner .."what time is it"...and she asks why..nne says"b/c five nminutes from nnow your nnot going to believe what i just told you"....thats phucking funny to me.....and lets nnot fforget the ffamos heinnekin/pabst blue ribbon shit.....there are tons more......basically the dialogue is razor....

3.0  my ffavorite scene in that film is when frank goes to meet his friend bennn??( i think is his name).... and  then he grabs the lightbulb and starts singing that in dreams sonng....that whole setup from beginning to end is brilliant IMO.....with the wierdos in the background (one of them holding a snake), and the fat ladies, and the mannnequinnn/dummy thing lying on the couch, and the late great Jack Nance giving those funny looks to Jeffffery the whole time....which leads up th efrannk say..."lets ffuck!!!!!!!, i'll fuck annything that moves!!!!!".....then he dissapears ..fflat out amazing....

4.0  the first 5 minutes are jaw--droppinng innncredible.....especially the closeups in the "x-ray" like vision through the grass....that whole part is way ahead of its time esp..for an 80's film....

5.0  i really like that song blue vevlet and how its used/sung throughout the film....the sounds/music  in this film just proves the perfect collabatory effforts of lynnnch/badalamenti.....the sounds unnnnnerdscors the film/mood pefectly....

6.0     just ranndom scenes of greatnes.....the scene w/the yellow man near the ennd and the tv, and the close-up of dorothy's husband w/the blue velvet in his mouth is awesome.........and the final scene is great....

.......i always heard that you either "get" lynnch or you don't.....i watch this with some people and they think its complete garbage.....annd I stare at them whith a WTF??????????? look on my face....and i try to explain it tto them but they still donnn't care/get it.....and i ffeel that they are missing out on soemthing special.....but phuck it, you either likeit or you don't.....trhat sone of the reasons which makes lynnch's films/style so wonderful.......csause when you get it ...you are in a minnority....and its sooemthing that you can latch on to w/other people and share.....lynch is an ennigmatic director.....which is nnot true for most directors.....think about it out of all the forums here on xixax  onnly kubrick comes close to lynnnch's ennigmaticism....while they are all good directors onnly thise two share that wierd sense that they bring....and thats saying alot......

freakerdude

Omno, you know I am one of the older folks and what Neon said nails it for me. You slowly enter the deepest darkest bizarre world in small country logging town that you first thought was oh so serene. Frank......a true masterpiece character!

Dammit. My home theater DVD player is hosed and I can't watch it or anything else till I buy another one.
MC Pee Pants

cine

Quote from: freakerdudeBV turned me into a real movie freak......or a cinephile as you folks say it.
You make it sound like Xixax invented the word...

ElPandaRoyal

Si

foray

I recently watched Blue Velvet for the 1st time. I enjoyed it immensely, and noted some precursors to Twin Peaks.

foray
touch me i'm sick

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: forayI recently watchedBlue Velvet for the 1st time. I enjoyed it immensely, and noted some precursors to Twin Peaks.

::speaks in a voice reminnniscant of vincient price::

..so was that your "foray" in to the films of Lynch....?

*thank you i'll be here all week*