Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Started by jenkins, December 03, 2017, 05:47:53 PM

pynchonikon

Got the opportunity to rewatch it last night, still one of my favorite three-star movies, a flawed but affecting love letter to a bygone era. I remember this was my most anticipated 2019 release (up there with the Irishman) and that without reading anything about it before seeing it, I was about 95% sure he would repeat his change-history trick (his writing has become more and more predictable over the years after all). Despite of sort of expecting the ending, I still found it less exciting or inspiring than let's say Inglourious Basterds (which I think is probably his best next to Pulp Fiction), even if somehow it stays faithful to the universe built by the movie. Regular moviegoers had a hard time with the film, which is understood to some degree considering the particular historical setting most people don't seem to be aware of (I mean everyone knows about the Holocaust or the black slavery, but who really knows a shit nowadays about the Manson family -and the movie itself doesn't even try to introduce us the cult or its leader properly- or Sharon Tate except period aficionados and History students, which makes the ending even less semimal for them). Looking forward to the extended version of it, where I hope I will find the great movie I was truly searching for. For now, it's a nice light film to hang out with a bunch of enthusiasts on a Friday/Saturday evening, with lots of beer and a fine cigar (but not a joint, I always keep that for Inherent Vice).

WorldForgot

If you've seen the deleted scenes, I'm not sure how much more "extended" a version you can expect. Also, I think you're being disingenuous with how much anyone knows their history, plenty of murder-mania these days in podcasts and true crime documentaries -- in this way QTz sense of environment and atmosphere in his four revisionist pictures serves its genre and meta-cinema-critique intentions more than they do plot.

When it ran at the New Beverly they were touting "extended" intros and additions, most of which were Bounty Law scenes or further included in the special features (Improv on the Bounty Law set, Green Door full song, Manson visits Danny Strong & his dog).

pynchonikon

Someone who spends time on informative podcasts or historical documentaries isn't my idea of a regular moviegoer  :yabbse-smiley:

I thought there's still plenty of unseen footage, at least that's what he himself implied when he was talking about whether or not it'll be released sometime in the future, but who knows.

WorldForgot

Quote from: pynchonikon on September 13, 2020, 11:56:09 AM
Someone who spends time on informative podcasts or historical documentaries isn't my idea of a regular moviegoer  :yabbse-smiley:

'Nuff said.

jenkins

i think regular moviegoers, whoever they may be, had a hard time because it isn't a regular movie, and because some of it drags sometimes

Alethia

Hmmm my memory is that it was a pretty consistent crowd pleaser, and I'm not counting special nerd screenings, just packed auditoriums full of seemingly "regular moviegoers".

And yeah QT promised a 4 hour miniseries Netflix cut sometime in the future. Why he couldn't hunker down during quar with his baby in his lap and crank it out I know not. (Maybe he did?) :)

Alethia

wilberfan

Quote"There's a 20-hour cut of "Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood" that would...there's so much more that you didn't get to see, that we shot that was amazing, and for a million reasons obviously, can't make the cut."

Source

Drenk

Quote from: wilberfan on April 02, 2021, 01:57:33 PM
Quote"There's a 20-hour cut of "Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood" that would...there's so much more that you didn't get to see, that we shot that was amazing, and for a million reasons obviously, can't make the cut."

Source

1) Hyperbole
2) Will you buy a ticket for the twenty hours screening at The New Beverly?  :yabbse-grin:
Ascension.

WorldForgot

Their all-nighters sell so quickly o_o
One day I hope to make it to The New Bev's HALLOWEEN ALL NIGHTER.
Once Upon a Time in HWood 20hr cut though, I'd watch that at home... over the course of four days.

wilberfan

Quote from: WorldForgot on April 02, 2021, 03:06:46 PM
Their all-nighters sell so quickly o_o
Once Upon a Time in HWood 20hr cut though, I'd watch that at home... over the course of four days.

Make it over 10 days and I'll join you.  With a signed bailout clause in my contract.

Alma

Oh wow I thought that was an April Fool when I saw the headline yesterday. I would totally watch a 20 hour version of OUATIH.

Alethia