INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Drenk

New trailer. I watched ten seconds of it. The movie seems rich and everytime I spoil myself some new footage I hate myself.

Ascension.

polkablues

Quote from: Drenk on December 09, 2014, 11:41:48 AM
Joaquin Phoenix is being ultra-friendly on talk shows for Inherent Vice.

With the expectations he's built up over the years, the idea of Joaquin Phoenix going on Live with Kelly and Michael and giving a perfectly normal, pleasant interview is probably the most surprising thing he could have possibly done.
My house, my rules, my coffee

max from fearless

Ok, so that trailer has so much madcap stuff that's not in the movie, alternate takes and extra-pussy eating...how can you not like it?

max from fearless

it also sells the theme hard and has some nice cuts between the police, the cult (looking very Ku Klux) the black power character which definitely struck a 'relevant' chord with me, what with Ferguson, Eric Gardner and a whole bunch of dudes in the Ferguson police force being KKK family. Anyways, that's my ramble....

Gittes

Oh, man. I'd really like to watch that Letterman interview. Are there any spoilers before they cut to the clip?

Drenk

Quote from: Amnesiac on December 09, 2014, 02:39:06 PM
Oh, man. I'd really like to watch that Letterman interview. Are there any spoilers before they cut to the clip?

At some point they talk about one shot from the first trailer, but that's all.
Ascension.

Gittes

Thanks. I checked out the first bit. Awesome. I'm going to devour all of these interviews after the movie.

Cloudy

I contacted American Cinematographer to see if they'll be covering bc it doesn't say so on their website, response:
We were planning to cover "Inherent Vice" but the project's cinematographer, Robert Elswit, politely declined to be interviewed. Make of that what you will...

Best,

Stephen Pizzello
Editor-in-Chief and Publisher
American Cinematographer
Huge, massive bummer.

jenkins

Gittes

what's he alluding to?

I'm not sure that there's much to speculate about. Elswit might be busy with another project or something personal. It would have been nice, though. Hopefully he'll eventually comment on his contributions.

Is there any chance that C&RV will do another "The Making Of" interview series?

Cloudy

It's really the only coverage I've been looking forward to, along with some of the production design stuff (but they never get as in-depth). When PT speaks in interviews these days he's always just dancing around it, and it's fucking energizing and inspiring to listen to the song and dance, and thankfully he never says it directly (maybe not a choice), but when it comes down to things technical....fuck, AC gives a depth that no other coverage has the ability to do with his movies...the craft is as important as the substance, the way things technical curl into the ineffable stuff in his work is absurd. Just a stupid example: the PDL AC article, Elswit talks about how he was going to use ND filters or some other kinds of filters because of the high contrast in the locations, but PT caught him doing this, and adamantly refused to let Elswit use any filters in the movie. the way Elswit described his reaction to the filters was as if it was a spastic Barry-esque gut-reaction, tied to a reason entirely beyond aesthetics.

max from fearless

Cloudy - have you got a link/scan of the PDL AC article? And is it the interview where they talk about Godard's influence on PDL?

Drenk

Max, could you say what shots of the new trailer are not in the movie?
Ascension.