What shows are you watching?

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 06, 2017, 04:03:18 PM

wilberfan

DOCUMENTARY NOW!

Each episode is a beautifully and lovingly made parody of specific landmark documentaries (Grey Gardens, Nanook of the North, Wild Wild Country, etc) or genres.  The production values are amazing and the results are deliciously silly--but probably only if you're familiar with the film(s) in question.  A real gem, and one of the highlights of my TV week.

Fernando

Quote from: polkablues on January 29, 2019, 04:34:09 PM
I haven't seen season two yet, but as far as I know they're fully separate stories, with just Bill Pullman's character as the common thread between them.

edit: Your post got my hopes up, so I went and looked, but season two still isn't on US Netflix yet.

Finished the 1st season, Biel's best work for sure, not that I've seen everything she's done, ended up liking her season more than Carrie's but still both are good.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on December 24, 2018, 02:32:24 AM
TRAVELERS (on Netflix). So, so good. A very fun and highly addictive sci-fi show. There is a splash of cheese for sure, but production values are pretty high, and some performances are magnificent. Excellent blend of human drama and complex science fiction. Becomes wildly unpredictable in seasons 2 and 3, which do not disappoint.

If you can get into it (you'll know after the first episode), you might find that Travelers is surprisingly fresh.

I have seen 8 episodes of S1 and it's really good, I feel like shit is about to get real.

I'm hooked.

Drenk

The Good Fight is a glorious, glorious show.

You know how everyone wants "their" show to be the next The Wire? In the sense that it will be considered cult in a few years. Well, The Good Fight is my Wire.

(I'm not that big fan of The Wire; I prefer The Good Fight.)
Ascension.

WorldForgot

Quote from: Drenk on March 22, 2019, 07:47:49 PM
The Good Fight is a glorious, glorious show.

You know how everyone wants "their" show to be the next The Wire? In the sense that it will be considered cult in a few years. Well, The Good Fight is my Wire.

(I'm not that big fan of The Wire; I prefer The Good Fight.)

The Good Fight iz what happens when a parallel BEST UNIVERSE getz into a weekly brawl with our own PRIME UNIVERSE.
I love its rebellious tone and characters so much.
Thank you for the JoCo Mr & Mrs King

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Fernando on March 22, 2019, 04:11:36 PM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on December 24, 2018, 02:32:24 AM
TRAVELERS (on Netflix). So, so good. A very fun and highly addictive sci-fi show. There is a splash of cheese for sure, but production values are pretty high, and some performances are magnificent. Excellent blend of human drama and complex science fiction. Becomes wildly unpredictable in seasons 2 and 3, which do not disappoint.

If you can get into it (you'll know after the first episode), you might find that Travelers is surprisingly fresh.

I have seen 8 episodes of S1 and it's really good, I feel like shit is about to get real.

I'm hooked.

Excellent! I can confirm that Season 2 is better, and Season 3 is better still. Definitely stick with it. Too bad it's been canceled by Netflix, but Season 3 does have a worthy finish.

csage97

Hmm, I will have to give The Good Fight a shot, then.

Love, Death, & Robots was excellent. On the level of looking at pure animation ... I've never seen anything like it.

I'll be watching season two of The OA. I found episodes in season one interesting and unique enough to want to know what was going to happen next, and so I want to know what will happen in season two.

polkablues

Quote from: wilberfan on December 31, 2018, 01:07:35 AM
Quote from: wilberfan on December 10, 2018, 11:09:52 PM
Escape at Dannemora

An amazing cast (including an almost unrecognizable Patricia Arquette), and very impressive directing by Ben Stiller (of all people).  One of the highlights of my TV week. 

[/size]

Just finished the finale.   This might be my favorite production I've seen this year--on any sized screen.  Absolutely impeccable.

Three episodes in and I'm in total agreement. Ridiculously good. Every actor is perfect. I've always liked Ben Stiller as a filmmaker, but there's been absolutely nothing in his directorial career that suggested he was capable of something like this.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleepless

Polkablues is right, guys. Patriot is an overlooked piece of genius. Half-way through S1, and every episode just leaves me amazed with the intricate attention to details of plotting and character in this sprawling story (told on a relatively small scale) where everything is connected. On one hand I'm pissed it took me this long, on the other hand I'm chuffed there's a second season already waiting for me when I'm done with this one. I just can't understand how critics aren't universally raving about this one, does Amazon not send out screeners or what?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

Sleepless

We both like Reese's peanut butter cups.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Fernando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 22, 2019, 11:41:43 PM
Excellent! I can confirm that Season 2 is better, and Season 3 is better still. Definitely stick with it. Too bad it's been canceled by Netflix, but Season 3 does have a worthy finish.

If this wasn't on Netflix it would be good show to talk about on a weekly basis, it's interesting and fun.

Thanks JB for the recomendation, I don't think I would ever tried it on my own, it's a bummer it was cancelled.

After this, I might give a second chance to Patriot.

Jeremy Blackman

I've watched the first few episodes of Patriot. No surprise, it's very good. Some scenes and moments are so idiosyncratic and intensely delightful. For example, I love love love every scene involving Stephen and/or his accompanying therapist.

wilberfan

Ramy Hassan is a first generation Egyptian-American who is on a spiritual journey in his politically-divided New Jersey neighborhood. RAMY will bring a new perspective to the screen as it explores the challenges of what it's like being caught between a Muslim community that thinks life is a moral test and a millennial generation that thinks life has no consequences.

A much better show than I would have predicted.  Episode 7 was especially well done, with a wonderful performance from Hiam Abbass.   And quite a debut from young Madison Hine in episode 8 that really made an impression.

Drenk

Ascension.

polkablues

If I tried to watch The Good Wife and couldn't get into it, would it still be worth attempting to get into this one?