originality vs. reference

Started by mutinyco, April 14, 2004, 12:25:13 AM

Quote from: In the 'Quotes' thread, I misquoted and"What is originality? Undiscovered plagiarism."
context, context, context.

pete

Quote from: mollyAmerican actors are really waaaaay ahead of actors from other parts of the world, in my opinion, because they mainly work on film, and that means closeups, and lots of emotions that are not yelled out, but shown with facial mimic.

what, pray tell, do actors from other parts of the world mainly work on?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

molly

Quote from: pete
Quote from: mollyAmerican actors are really waaaaay ahead of actors from other parts of the world, in my opinion, because they mainly work on film, and that means closeups, and lots of emotions that are not yelled out, but shown with facial mimic.

what, pray tell, do actors from other parts of the world mainly work on?

they work in theatre. and because of that they are over-theatrical and empty when they finally appear on film. Sometimes.
I remember an interview with Goran Višnjić(the guy that replaced George Clooney in ER), and he said that Nicole Kidman is able to drop a tear exactly in the same moment every time they repeated some scene(The movie is called "Magic" i think, with Sandra Bullock also).

pete

yeah, monica belluci was much better in Irreversible: The Musical.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton