Interracial theme in Thirteen?

Started by prophet, March 13, 2004, 07:29:26 PM

modage

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: propheti have noticed that its mostly slutty white girls not all white girls.

And so it never quite sat right with me.
yeah but its lower middle class white girls from broken homes.  i think they would be more prone to these problems.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: propheti have noticed that its mostly slutty white girls not all white girls.

And so it never quite sat right with me.
yeah but its lower middle class white girls from broken homes.  i think they would be more prone to these problems.

But that's just it.  It was presented in the movie as a problem, leaving the audience to assume that the context was what Ghostboy said on the previous page.  

Maybe I'm just being touchy about it but it just seems like, with all the shit these girls were doing in Thirteen, it felt like the movie was saying, "Parents, watch out.  Your daughters could be huffing glue, stealing and canoodling with Negroes when you're not watching them."

Thrindle

Quote from: hacksparrow"Parents, watch out.  Your daughters could be huffing glue, stealing and canoodling with Negroes when you're not watching them."

Canoodling eh?  Tell me, who says "canoodle"?  Furthermore... who actually does it?  :P
Classic.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Thrindle
Quote from: hacksparrow"Parents, watch out.  Your daughters could be huffing glue, stealing and canoodling with Negroes when you're not watching them."

Canoodling eh?  Tell me, who says "canoodle"?  Furthermore... who actually does it?  :P

Quote from: someoneJohansson and Del Toro an Item?
Unlikely couple Scarlett Johansson and Benicio Del Toro were so smitten with each other at a pre-Oscars party, they didn't care about being spotted "with their arms all over each other". Latin star Del Toro - who was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Academy Award at Sunday's ceremony - spent Saturday night canoodling with the 19-year-old actress before the pair retired to the Chateau Marmont hotel in Los Angeles at 3.30am. Guests at the legendary hotel on Sunset Strip were stunned when the playful pair walked in, because they were making no attempts to cover up their intimate behavior. A spy says, "They didn't care who saw them. They walked through the hotel lobby where there were quite a few people hanging about and didn't seem at all embarrassed to be spotted with their arms all over each other. It was quite extraordinary. She looks so young and he could easily pass for her dad. They then got into a lift together."
--IMDb News

Thrindle

What's good enough for Scarlett, is good enough for me.  But I must say, I think I'd rather screw than canoodle.
Classic.

Bruce Lee

ermmm let me think......aha! Bruce Lee

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: ThrindleWhat's good enough for Scarlett, is good enough for me.  But I must say, I think I'd rather screw than canoodle.

Canoodling is really a lost art.  There was a time you could go anywhere and find people canoodling or petting.  

Those days are gone.   :cry:

reelistics07

SoNowThen

Quote from: Thrindle

SO what are you trying to imply about black guys?   :?

That they're extremely lucky.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

godardian

Your more rebellious yet simplistic white kids have been ripping the black subculture and "trying to be black" for as long as there has been racism in this country. As long as "black" is equated in the dominant idiom, by whomever and for whatever reason, with "loud, obnoxious things that piss people off," then white kids who want to piss off their parents will be attracted to the black subculture. Rather exploitative (on the part of the white kids and the people of whatever race making money off of defining what is and isn't "black"), if you ask me. But then, I'm extremely skeptical of the more circumscribed, supposedly monolithic subcultures, starting with "my own" (the gay one- blah) and extending onward... "alternative" subcultures- race, sexual, or orientation based- are much too often insular, ghettoized, cloistered, second-class, depoliticized, complacent, and useless. The anomalies are always, always infinitely more interesting than those that fit the profile, whatever it might be. I'm free to partake of, relate to, and be involved in any part of this culture I choose, and for whatever reason- "subcultural" assumptions and presumptuousness be damned! But I hope my interest and participation is never for dumb, superficial reasons like making mommy and daddy upset (though if that's a side effect, then so be it).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

Quote from: godardianBut I hope my interest and participation is never for dumb, superficial reasons like making mommy and daddy upset (though if that's a side effect, then so be it).
haha, admit it godardian.  you're just being gay to piss off your parents!  :lol:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: godardianBut I hope my interest and participation is never for dumb, superficial reasons like making mommy and daddy upset (though if that's a side effect, then so be it).
haha, admit it godardian.  you're just being gay to piss off your parents!  :lol:

My parents are way too easy to piss off for the gay thing to be worth the hassle...  :wink:  I could just as easily have pierced something if that was really the aim.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Pubrick

u'll get urs when ur kids all turn out straight. mark my words.  :twisted:
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: Pubricku'll get urs when ur kids all turn out straight. mark my words.  :twisted:

I know... what goes around comes around. I'll still love and accept and understand my kids if they turn out straight, of course. I'd just be worried about it handicapping them out in society, what with all the bigotry out there and the lonely, empty, bar-hopping lives straight people lead.  :wink:

Thrindle

Quote from: ThrindleWhat's good enough for Scarlett, is good enough for me.  But I must say, I think I'd rather screw than canoodle.

Canoodling is really a lost art.  There was a time you could go anywhere and find people canoodling or petting.  

Those days are gone.   :cry:

I hope I never say this again... but can I take back what I said before?  Because reading your post brought back a distant memory... eskimo kisses, hand holding, pet names and cuddling...  

I have become jaded  and I mocked the art of the canoodle; when in actuality... a canoodle is so much more fullfilling than a screw.  I WAS LYING TO MYSELF!   :oops:
Classic.