Influenced by...

Started by kotte, November 30, 2003, 03:29:22 PM

tpfkabi

if you read reviews of Godard/Truffaut during their time, they also talked about how much they ripped older directors.......i'm sure it was the same with Scorsese before them.......Welles was famous with Kane because he brought back a lot of old techniques.........i guess the only way to find an all orginal director would be to find the first film ever filmed.......of course, what makes all the aforementioned great was that they added their own personal touches........it sounds kinda smug and i know a lot of you probably know a lot more about cinema than i do, but there's a lot of truth in that.......i guess the older and older that cinema gets, the more layers are added because Tarantino/the Andersons, etc have studied all of these
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SHAFTRI disagree, we are more influenced by the younger directors.  Think about it, you see a film by (insert Young Director here) and you find out that he was influenced by (insert Old Director here) and you check out that film/director.

Now you change your view and say you were influenced by the old director when in fact you were INFLUENCED by the younger one.

The influence you are talking about is the initiative influence. If you go by what I said in where most logical approaches to film are in older filmmakers, the final influence does come from them because they are the ones that force you to think on your own in developing a logical style. To separate between the initiative and the final, its like saying you discovered the first film by one filmmaker and that led you to see his later and more developed work. By the end, you are hardly influenced by that first film at all.

SHAFTR

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: SHAFTRI disagree, we are more influenced by the younger directors.  Think about it, you see a film by (insert Young Director here) and you find out that he was influenced by (insert Old Director here) and you check out that film/director.

Now you change your view and say you were influenced by the old director when in fact you were INFLUENCED by the younger one.

The influence you are talking about is the initiative influence. If you go by what I said in where most logical approaches to film are in older filmmakers, the final influence does come from them because they are the ones that force you to think on your own in developing a logical style. To separate between the initiative and the final, its like saying you discovered the first film by one filmmaker and that led you to see his later and more developed work. By the end, you are hardly influenced by that first film at all.

but that first film influenced you to check out the other films.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SHAFTRbut that first film influenced you to check out the other films.

Yes, it did, but what influence does it have after seeing all the films?

NEON MERCURY

..for me its both.....like for theh nnewer ones....aronofsky, qt., soderberg..pta.....etc...

and the old ones like lynch mallick..stanley...stone....
i don't know really its about the same ...
i'm innnlfuenced by good directors young or old.....

SHAFTR

Quote from: SHAFTRbut that first film influenced you to check out the other films.

I think the initial influence is what is important.  That initial younger director sparks your interest and draws your attention to other films.

If I watch Vanilla Sky and find out that it's a remake of Open Your Eyes, and than watch that film...I have been influenced by Cameron Crowe.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SHAFTR

I think the initial influence is what is important.  That initial younger director sparks your interest and draws your attention to other films.

If I watch Vanilla Sky and find out that it's a remake of Open Your Eyes, and than watch that film...I have been influenced by Cameron Crowe.

But....the initial influence cannot keep up with you continually growing. If I took my intitial influence really to heart as most important, I'd say every Kubrick film were the most influential films for me. They really aren't and my opinion of Kubrick now is harsher than most people may think. Lesser films led me to Kubrick and Kubrick led me to other films and those other films to other films and so on. If you take the intitial influence, where does it really begin then? Does it start with the film that just made you like movies? I definitely couldn't say Die Hard is influential for me now in matters of judging films.

SHAFTR

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetI definitely couldn't say Die Hard is influential for me now in matters of judging films.

maybe it was?

Kevin Smith films were influential in getting me interested in films.

SoNowThen

who gives a fuck who you were influenced by
who gives a fuck if you copy from other people

as long as you make it watchable and interesting

QT rips off shitty old blacksploitation pictures I would never waste my time watching

Ratner apparently loves a ton of foreign films that are my favorites

yet I will watch a QT over a Ratner film any old day of the week

and I firmly plan on lifting scenes/shots/dialogue verbatim from movies I like
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sanjuro

voted for old..
there are only a handful of directors now that really impress me.  i mean before you had kurosawa, kubrick, etc. very hard to compete with that.
but sometimes its amazing how a masterpiece just pops up.  times are just diffrent now but thats not to say that todays directors wont be great.
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

Pubrick

the notion of "influenced by" is funny to me. u only know the ones u consciously choose to rip off. and little things that are inherent in cinematic language, tho u may not give credit to sumone, u prolly saw it first like in a Sergio Leone film.

since i only am consciously influenced by one filmmaker, dead, i voted for old.
under the paving stones.

kotte

Quote from: Pthe notion of "influenced by" is funny to me. u only know the ones u consciously choose to rip off. and little things that are inherent in cinematic language, tho u may not give credit to sumone, u prolly saw it first like in a Sergio Leone film.

Technically, if you use a closeup you're ripping off...so we're talking about conscious off ripping.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: SoNowThenwho gives a fuck if you copy from other people
Personally, I think the person doing the copying should themselves. At least, they should if they want to be considered one of the greatest directors to have ever lived, which in a Rolling Stone article, Quentin Tarantino said he does...

Quote from: Sanjurothere are only a handful of directors now that really impress me. i mean before you had kurosawa, kubrick, etc. very hard to compete with that.
Yeah, but it's not like they were the only directors working or anything either. You can say that filmmakers today aren't as good as those of yesterday, but you also have to remember that you only remember the greats.

Quote from: Psince i only am consciously influenced by one filmmaker, dead, i voted for old.
Who, out of interest?
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Pubrick

Quote from: The Silver BulletWho, out of interest?
Leni Riefenstahl.

subconsciously there are probably a few more, but to know them u would hav to ask me in a dream.
under the paving stones.

The Silver Bullet

Quote from: bigideasif you read reviews of Godard/Truffaut during their time, they also talked about how much they ripped older directors.......i'm sure it was the same with Scorsese before them.......
Did you just say that Scorsese came before the French New Wave?

:shock:
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]