Planes, Trains, and Turkey

Started by Weak2ndAct, November 26, 2003, 11:39:25 PM

Weak2ndAct

Since we're in the Holiday Season and all that jazz, figured I oughta give a shout-out to my favorite holiday film: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.  Sure, at times it might seem dated.  But it still makes me laugh every time I see it-- and Steve Martin's tirade at the car rental counter is an all-time classic scene.

For another guy's 2 cents:
http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/greatmovies/planestrains.html

modage

no way!  you are my favorite person on the board today, because every year on thanksgiving my family and i after the whole turkey dinner, all sit down and watch Planes Trains And Automobiles. it is our official thanksgiving movie and kicks off an entire month of christmas movie watching.  the damn thing gets funnier every year.  the more we know the characters and the best lines the funnier it seems to get.  i think of it as the thanksgiving equivalent of christmas vacation.  so many great parts, john hughes was really a genius in the 80s. the scene where they are riding in the car and they drive between the two trucks going the wrong way and when they are screaming there is the image of john candy as the devil is so fucking funny.  ill probably write in a few of my favorite scenes after we watch it tonite.

anyone who hasnt seen this movie, or hasnt seen it in a while, should run out and rent it.  it will be 90 minutes well spent.  you have my recommendation.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Kal

man they show it every other week in TNT or some movie channel... I really love this movie... and its one of those movies that even after seeing it 100 times you cant change the channel if its on...

MacGuffin

This film shows the genius of John Candy and why is he is sorely missed.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Agreed agreed agreed

Scene that makes me cry with laughter every time I see it, bar none:

the one where the dashboard is melted, the speedometer is melted, everything is melted, but "the radio seems to be working fine"

priceless
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinThis film shows the genius of John Candy and why is he is sorely missed.
great outdoors is great too.

Christmas Vacation is a pretty kiss-ass holiday film too.

Gamblour.

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: MacGuffinThis film shows the genius of John Candy and why is he is sorely missed.

Yes and yes. I just bought Christmas Vacation, came with a free ornament!

"...those aren't pillows!"
WWPTAD?

tpfkabi

yeah, what happened to John Hughes? for a while there he was making hit after hit and then he kinda disappeared
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

***beady***

That film is priceless, and it never fails to make me cry. sigh...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: bigideasyeah, what happened to John Hughes?

NEON MERCURY

i believe he also wrote the script for maid in mannhattan ..(under a penn name though)....

tpfkabi

he should have known to stop once Macaulay got too old.

that's sad. i could probably name off a dozen or so films that almost anyone knows by heart and enjoys........i guess he's one of the most influential directors of the late 80's/90's......he also wrote most of them too i believe

were most of his films box office hits or has cable been responsible for a lot of it?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Jake_82

your reality is at the end of your dream

SHAFTR

Quote from: Gamblor the Manwhore
Quote from: aclockworkjj

Yes and yes. I just bought Christmas Vacation, came with a free ornament!

"...those aren't pillows!"

Yes, Christmas Vacation is my xmas film.  My aunt and I always watched it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Pubrick

my xmas films hav always been Jesus related.
under the paving stones.