The Hazy Shade of Winter

Started by filmcritic, August 29, 2003, 03:10:34 PM

filmcritic

I'm really looking forward to christmastime this year. And there are some really great winter movies out there. What are some of the best movies that takes place entirely during the winter or christmastime? I can think of several already.

"The Christmas Story"
"Hard Eight"
"The Ice Storm"
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Pwaybloe

Find Your Magali

cowboykurtis

a simple plan

its a wonderful life

since when is hard eight a "winter movie"? its in fucking nevada -- if im not mistaken, it never gets colder than 70 degrees there -- hence...no winter.
...your excuses are your own...

MacGuffin

It's A Wonderful Life
Miracle On 34th Street (1947)
Gremlins
Nightmare Before Christmas
Scrooged
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

filmcritic

While we're on Stanley Kubrick, "The Shining".
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Vile5

Quote from: SoNowThenEYES WIDE SHUT
i'm with you
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Banky

you gotta mention Rudolph Claymation

Ghostboy

Christmas Vacation is a perrenial classic.

But I know what filmcritic means...there's a certain feeling that comes in the fall/winter. A smell in the air that comes with the cold, breath crystalizing in the air, Christmas lights on the trees, the nostalgia that comes when thinking about all the wonderful movies associated with the season. Everything seems so romantic, even bad memories are more bittersweet in the winter.

Cecil

filmcritic

"The Shipping News"
"Ordinary People"
"The Exorcist"
"Sleepless in Seattle"
"With Honors"
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

mutinyco

"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: GhostboyChristmas Vacation is a perrenial classic.

true in every sense .good call

Cecil

i used to watch that every year at christmas time. i should start doing that again.