VOIR (Netflix)

Started by wilberfan, December 10, 2021, 10:45:06 PM

wilberfan

https://youtu.be/D_0vHst5670

From executive producers David Fincher and David Prior, VOIR is a series of visual essays celebrating Cinema and the personal connection we each have to the stories we see on the big screen. From intimate personal histories to insights on character and craft, each episode reminds us why Cinema holds a special place in our lives.

Episode 1 starts in Summer of '75 in the Valley...

https://www.netflix.com/title/80990130

WorldForgot

I dug it. Especially episodes 3, 4, & 5.

Episode 4, about appeal, isn't only interesting from a form-vs-design standpoint: it highlights how time intensive 30 seconds of animation can be across departments (character design, rigging, lighting, animating) and allows Glen Keane and Brenda Chapman some endearing insights.

In episode 3, Drew McWeeney gets to kick it in Netflix's theater, The Egyptian, while it still has its balcony.

Episode 2 iz cool, too, but beware that it's riddled with spoilers for Park Chan Wook's Vengeance duet. Also, had a good laugh that they included so much Punisher.

I'll repost here some thoughts on the Walter Chaw-written finale (if you keep in mind his 1 & 1/2 star review of Licorice Pizza): Walter Chaw wrote the last episode of VOIR. It's about 48Hrs and how race relations and the market commercially demeaned Pryor and Eddie Murphy. Honestly, it does illuminate why he would feel personally damaged by the two scenes in LP. It seemz to him that film should only be righteous vehicle. Which makes perfect sense if we think of cinema as the empathy machine. In the sting that he must have felt during Licorice Pizza's Frick scenes, maybe he missed that everyone in Licorice Pizza iz warping themselves. Having watched his episode of VOIR, though, it's quite clear that those scenes must have hurt.

wilberfan

Thanks for that. I thought I saw Chaw's name on it somewhere and had a "Wait, wasn't he the guy that...?" moment.