Brand New Cherry Flavor

Started by ono, August 18, 2021, 09:40:08 PM

ono

Seems to steal from Lynch in the best way.  I know what I'm watching this weekend.

polkablues

I've watched six out of the eight episodes so far. It's good! More akin to Cronenberg or Clive Barker than Lynch, though the Mulholland Drive influence is obvious. It feels very uncompromised, for better or worse, and goes places I never expected a Netflix original series to be able to go. Rosa Salazar is a really compelling actor, and the show harnesses Catherine Keener's unique brand of malevolent aloofness as well as anything she's been in.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Finished the series. Wow. I can't believe this is on Netflix.

There's definitely a splash of Lynch, but mostly it's just horror. Heavy Cronenberg influences but also its own thing. It's rough around the edges in a way that meshes with the horror vibe it's going for.

Some viewing guidance: If you give this a chance, watch the whole first episode to understand what it's doing. Then you should have a pretty good idea.

The acting across the board is a bit inconsistent, and I'm not sure Rosa Salazar's performance always works for me. HOWEVER... her scene at the end of episode 6 is some of the best acting I've ever seen. No exaggeration.

The last 3 episodes are all on fire, really. A super strong finish.

Robyn

First episode was pretty good!

Seems like a fun time at the very least.

wilberfan

I had a pretty good time in episode 1 as well.  I really liked the actor playing the sleazy producer.  I was all in until

Spoiler: ShowHide
...she barfed up that kitten.

My eyes rolled at that one.  Will try another episode, at least, although there's a 50/50 chance this may not be my genre.

Jeremy Blackman

That's just the appetizer, my friend.

Robyn

Spoiler episode 1:

Spoiler: ShowHide
I knew about the kitten from The Filmcast podcast, and was waiting all episode! Couldn't have come soon enough.

The sleazy producer I liked too and let out a loud "oh no!" when he put his hand on her thigh. I hope it goes all out on the Cronenberg influences, and that they do body horror well. I don't think I have loved any body horror film/show since like The Fly?

wilberfan

See, I LOVED The Fly (remake).  And the original freaked-me-the-fuck-out when they showed it to us in jr High for Halloween one afternoon in the late 60s. I'm not opposed to body horror (in theory)--if it's compellingly done.  I'd love to love this one.

[edit]  Yeah, I'm out.  The young-filmmaker-trying-to-make-it-in-Hollywood was really interesting to me.  The horror element just holds no appeal.