A Very Long Engagement

Started by modage, September 30, 2004, 03:34:16 PM

hedwig

Whoa, I just found out that Jeneut did Alien: Resurrection a few years before Ameile.

That's weird.

ono

Quote from: petewow, you must have all sorts of issues.
Not if everyone wants to fuck Withnail's mom.

edison

Quote from: HedwigWhoa, I just found out that Jeneut did Alien: Resurrection a few years before Ameile.

That's weird.

Where the heck have you been?

The Perineum Falcon

The folks at IGN have a sit-down with Jeunet about his new film:

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/569/569657p1.html
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ranemaka13The folks at IGN have a sit-down with Jeunet
Is that what they're calling it these days?

jonas

I enjoyed it.

I thought the book had more of an emotional impact, but the film has some really fantastic visuals and great performances.

Bruno Delbonnel better get an oscar this time!
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

cowboykurtis

this was absolutely wonderul -- easily one of the best of the year -- jeanut has once again proven to be one of, if not THE  most visually breathtaking directors of our time.
...your excuses are your own...

modage

*sigh.  saw this tonite, wanted to love it, didnt know much about it other than the trailer and who was involved making it.  it was good, i dunno. basically, my problem was that i was only occasionally involved.  it was probably the structure of the movie revolving around flashbacks and such heavy storytelling that i wasnt able to be totally connected to either the past or the present.  there were fantastic sequences, but like i said i kept getting into it, and getting out of it.  it didnt keep me involved and maybe that was more my fault than the films because some people (like my girlfriend) seemed to love it.  the thing that i cant figure out is whether movies are really getting less good or my tastes are getting more discriminating?  because this sucks.  anyways i liked a lot of it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Title: A Very Long Engagement
Released: 24th May 2005
SRP: $29.95

Further Details
Warner has officially announced the Jean-Pierre Jeunet directed film A Very Long Engagement which stars Amelie's Audrey Tautou. The film is described as an investigation into the absurdity of war, the beauty of hope and the tenacity of the human heart. The two-disc set will be available to own from the 24th May this year, and should set you back somewhere in the region of $29.95. The film itself will be presented in 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen along with French Dolby Digital 5.1 and Stereo tracks. English, French and Spanish subtitles will also be provided. Extras will include an audio commentary with director Jean-Pierre Jeunet, additional scenes, four documentaries on the film and its historical era and some cast and crew interviews. The artwork is at the following link: http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=6000&n=1&burl=

i'm surprised more people didnt see this, being the follow-up to amelie and all.  :yabbse-undecided:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: themodernage02i'm surprised more people didnt see this, being the follow-up to amelie and all.  :yabbse-undecided:
the poster didn't show her face, u see.
under the paving stones.

samsong

it's also a piece of shit

SHAFTR

I finally saw this and enjoyed it, but not as much as I enjoyed Amelie.  In part, I agree with Samsong's statements but not with as much conviction.  It's a beautiful to look at but the emotion does get lost in the twists.  At the end of the film, I could tell I was supposed to feel something more than I did.  Also, some of the farfetched aspects of Amelie that worked for that film took me out of the story here (a la the Zeppelin scene).  I'm glad I saw it but I don't really have any interest in seeing it again.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cowboykurtis

what a shit cover - what a shit marketing team - what a great movie
...your excuses are your own...