Breaking Bad

Started by squints, February 25, 2009, 07:23:38 PM

diggler

so....... that was impossible to predict
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

squints

so i haven't been followin the second season of this but my girlfriend said about the finale that it was "a crock of shit" and that it "insulted her intelligence"

is there anything to what she's saying or is she's just talking stupid like women tend to do? (sorry bethie)
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

picolas

Quote from: ddiggler on May 31, 2009, 10:02:48 PM
so....... that was impossible to predict
http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2009/05/breaking-bad-vince-gilligan-post.html

read the first answers in this interview with vince gilligan and you'll shit yourself.

that was beyond words.

Quote from: squints on June 01, 2009, 02:09:16 AM
so i haven't been followin the second season of this but my girlfriend said about the finally that it was "a crock of shit" and that it "insulted her intelligence"

is there anything to what she's saying or is she's just talking stupid like women tend to do? (sorry bethie)
*vague spoilers*
there's a gut reaction that they dropped hints that led nowhere but i think the audience (myself included) misinterpreted the nature of the flashfowards sprinkled throughout the season. we're so used to cliffhangers and playing guessing games with serialized television. that's not what it was about. it was richer than that. it was about the fundamental inevitability of epic tragedy, on a scale outside of just his family, resulting from walt's choices.

tpfkabi

cool beans.

i've missed a couple Season 2 eps - 3 episodes ago i'm for certain (the one in between Jane not telling her dad about her relationship and the one where she blackmails).

i can't even remember when or where that bear has popped up before.

re: the interview link

something tells me the finale of the series will be them setting up some huge event where everyone is about to find out what Walt has done and then cancer will have it's way and he'll die before anyone fully knows the truth. it'll turn out like it just seemed Walt was a victim of a "wrong place at the wrong time" sort of crime and then they'll feel guilty for doubting him.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

picolas

Quote from: bigideas on June 01, 2009, 07:52:47 AM
something tells me the finale of the series will be them setting up some huge event where everyone is about to find out what Walt has done and then cancer will have it's way and he'll die before anyone fully knows the truth. it'll turn out like it just seemed Walt was a victim of a "wrong place at the wrong time" sort of crime and then they'll feel guilty for doubting him.
i highly doubt that. gilligan says he doesn't want to "let him off that easy" when asked about killing off Walt in the interview. the show is becoming more and more about consequences. at this point i think if Walt never had to pay for his crimes personally the show as a whole would be a bit of a dud.

tpfkabi

Quote from: picolas on June 01, 2009, 01:31:10 PM
Quote from: bigideas on June 01, 2009, 07:52:47 AM
i highly doubt that. gilligan says he doesn't want to "let him off that easy" when asked about killing off Walt in the interview. the show is becoming more and more about consequences. at this point i think if Walt never had to pay for his crimes personally the show as a whole would be a bit of a dud.

so if that is the case then the options are only jail or death by murder/retaliation?

he can't be "punished" via cancer as he had it before he went down that path.

oh well, it's all speculation anyway.

Pozer

Quote from: picolas on June 01, 2009, 02:18:05 AM
*vague spoilers*
there's a gut reaction that they dropped hints that led nowhere but i think the audience (myself included) misinterpreted the nature of the flashfowards sprinkled throughout the season. we're so used to cliffhangers and playing guessing games with serialized television. that's not what it was about. it was richer than that. it was about the fundamental inevitability of epic tragedy, on a scale outside of just his family, resulting from walt's choices.

continued spoilers..

my initial reaction was that it was a crock of shit but then i got to thinking like picolas here. still, the coincidence of the crash happening directly above him was too much. the scene with the coincidence of Walt meeting Jane's father in the bar an episode or so back i thought was too much too but this was too much too much.  

Stefen

Spoilers..

Yeah, when Walt coincidentally meets Donald in the bar and they chum it up, I rolled my eyes, but it was a manageable roll. When the crash that Donald happened to cause just happened to land in Walt's backyard, I went blind from the eye-rolling.

:::.:..:.:: ::..:. <---- Fucking lame, but in braille.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

i wonder if this was inspired by the space shuttle crash a few years ago.

it wouldn't only fall in Walt's yard, but debri would be all over for miles and miles.

i knew someone who had a roofing job in Nacogoches, Tx where a lot of debri fell and he said he found an astronaut's glove with a hand still in it.  :shock: sounds like a very Lynchian thing (an ear in an overgrown area).

i did feel the bar/dad was a little too coincidental as well though.

same for butch meeting marsellus at the stop sign?

Stefen

Quote from: bigideas on June 01, 2009, 04:06:38 PM

i did feel the bar/dad was a little too coincidental as well though.

same for butch meeting marsellus at the stop sign?

True. But I think Butch running into Marcellus is different since Pulp Fiction isn't really steeped in any sort of reality whereas Breaking Bad is.

I'm VERY curious to see where they go for next season. Part of me really wants Skylar to find out about Walt's business.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

picolas

Quote from: Pozer on June 01, 2009, 02:31:44 PMthe scene with the coincidence of Walt meeting Jane's father in the bar an episode or so back i thought was too much too but this was too much too much.  
Quote from: Stefen on June 01, 2009, 02:51:29 PM
Spoilers..

Yeah, when Walt coincidentally meets Donald in the bar and they chum it up, I rolled my eyes, but it was a manageable roll. When the crash that Donald happened to cause just happened to land in Walt's backyard, I went blind from the eye-rolling.

:::.:..:.:: ::..:. <---- Fucking lame, but in braille.
dudes, you're missing out. this is POETRY. the meeting in the bar is sweet sweet tragic juice mix. if you think that's 'too perfect', never see a greek tragedy. skip shakespeare. and forget you saw magnolia while you're at it.

it's not an impossible situation. these things happen all the time. we're only aware of the level of coincidence because we're watching it from this perspective. as the article says, walt has no idea he's responsible for these deaths. and he probably never will.

Stefen

It's a pretty impossible situation. Maybe not alone, but coupled with both Walt actually MEETING and striking up a conversation at a bar with a man who's daughters death he's responsible for and then that father being so distraught he neglects his air traffic controller job, makes a mistake and crashes an airplane in Walt's backyard all while neither of them know each other is pretty impossible.

diggler

it's definitely improbable but not impossible. they were both leaving jane's/jesse's apartment so it makes sense they would go to the nearest bar. the plane would have to crash over walt because jane's father is an air traffic controller at the local airport. i think it was meant to be more symbolic of the indirect damage walt is causing the world around him. they hint at it with Hank mapping out all of the people in neighboring states arrested with walt's meth. these are all people with their own tragic stories made worse by walt's life decisions, the plane crash is just a unified personification of that.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

picolas

exactly. it's very plausible if you think about it. but the point of these events isn't whether we believe them or not. it's about the ripple of walt's choices and walt's rationalizations, and how they culminated in a disaster no one could have foreseen. it's a perfect ending. and the bar scene is fantastic.

Pozer