Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Started by jenkins, December 03, 2017, 05:47:53 PM

Drenk

I can't imagine watching this movie, knowing nothing about the murders and Sharon Tate. It would make no sense at all, not until the very end but, come on, that's a huge part of the movie.
Ascension.

Something Spanish

i'm fucking hooked on this movie, 5th viewing yesterday (2nd on IMAX). only QT i'd seen that many times in theaters was vol. 2.

there is nary a moment when some for of media isn't in the background: television, radio, records, books, movies, it's a fucking constant. captures the bygone era with so much heart.

trytotell

PTA hosted the DGA screening/Q&A for this last night.

He's probably locked his first Best Director now, huh? All his buddies/peers seem to be getting behind this.

Alethia

Oh my god please let a video or audio recording surface!!!

trytotell

Quote from: eward on August 19, 2019, 12:12:14 PM
Oh my god please let a video or audio recording surface!!!

I'm sure it will in a week or two.

Something Spanish

sweet, can't wait to watch QT pat PTA's knees for the entire interview with every witty answer.

wilberfan

At
you could almost pretend they were sitting out front at the Cinerama Dome.

Something Spanish

Lottery

Quite impressed by QT in this one.
Spoiler: ShowHide

I had hoped he would be able to curb his cartoonish impulses for this one and he mostly did, and it made for a daring, fascinating film.
I'm just a bit conflicted about the climax. The climax was fun and entertaining in the OTT QT way but at the same time I'm let down by the [handling of the] revisionism. He took so many confident steps in a different direction in this one but didn't have the balls to go through with the events and then went for something stylistically safe for him. But otherwise, the conclusion is fun, it makes sense for the characters and the last scene with the driveway and Dalton going up to meet Tate is just gorgeous. 
The revisionism is intriguing as the movie runs with the common knowledge and impression of Tate as a murder victim and ultimately re-frames her as simply the warmly portrayed individual present in the film, a person (the essence of a person) and not a headline.
The complaints about Tate not having enough lines are very bizarre to me. And Margot Robbie was superb in this with and without words.

The Bruce Lee caricature scene was off the mark and it was also marred by horrendous acting by Zoe Bell. It wasn't even fun bad acting like the director cameo in Django.

Really surprising stuff from QT.

Something Spanish

That QT/PTA DGA interview is up on their podcast channel

wilberfan

OUATIH obsessives might enjoy a podcast episode by the "Manson Consultant" to QT with some behind-the-scenes fanboy commentary. 

https://dearlydeparted.podbean.com/e/episode-11-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood/

Alethia

Jesus two must-listens back to back! Guess I'm walking home tonight.

Vicko99

Julia Butters plays Jodie foster, right? That's far too many coincidences

Reel

That would be correct, sir! Thanks, that was one of the mysteries I hadn't cracked. Her name is 'Trudi' and Jodie Foster's imdb page reveals her working on 'Gunsmoke' and 'Bonanza' among other TV shows as a child.

csage97

Quote from: Something Spanish on August 19, 2019, 12:23:38 PM
sweet, can't wait to watch QT pat PTA's knees for the entire interview with every witty answer.

LOL, so true that that's how it probably went down.  :yabbse-grin: