The Origin of Mackey

Started by Teen Wolf, September 08, 2003, 08:18:08 PM

Teen Wolf

I seem to remember an interview w/ PTA where he talks about how he came up w/ the character of Frank TJ Mackey. If memory serves me correctly he said in this interview how someone gave him an old cassette tape with this guy on it who had all these crazy theories on how to pick up women.

Now, driving home from work a few weeks back, in traffic, surfing the radio waves, I happened upon The Tom Likus Show. I live in Los Angeles, but I happen to know that they air this program nation-wide. Perhaps you've heard of him? This guy's schtik is so similar to Frank Mackey's that I thought he had seen Magnolia and assumed the character as his sort of on-air persona. Then I found out this guy, Tom Likus, has been around for over a decade with the same act. So I'm wondering, is it possible that this is who was on the tape? Is this who Paul took his cue from as he was writing the Frank Mackey character into the script?

aclockworkjj

I am not positive...but I don't think it's about Tom Leykis.  ALthough Leykis is a character in his own sense.  Only a few more "Flash Fridays" left!

I believe there was some dude who actually ran seminars like this, and used to advertise in playboy and such.  I can't remember his name though.  

I can definately see the resemblance though, as Tom is kinda a dirtbag too.  But if you think about it, even if you don't agree, a lot of what he says is true.  I love when those damn women try to call in and tell him he is wrong....he either tears them into nothing or simply hangs up on them.  ha.

Pedro

listen to the interview again

Weak2ndAct

Ironic.  I read this post and have Tom Leykis on my radio right now.  I love the guy, it's like having Mackey lecture you everyday.  But minus the cursing :-(

And God Bless Flash Fridays.

boombanglarrabee

"Ironic. I read this post and have Tom Leykis on my radio right now."

Kay.  This is not ironic.  It's a coincidence.  Irony is when a fire station is on fire.  Common mistake, don't feel bad.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: boombanglarrabee"Ironic. I read this post and have Tom Leykis on my radio right now."

Kay.  This is not ironic.  It's a coincidence.  Irony is when a fire station is on fire.  Common mistake, don't feel bad.

Yeah, I always get "irony" and "coincidence" wrong.

And that damn Alanis Morrisette song never helped one bit.

So, are those three tales in the Magnolia prologue ironic, or just coincidences... :wink:

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Tom Likus is a fat ugly grosss idiot and should be beat to death with a shoe

he has been married like 4 times and he is grosss all radio guys are gross but he makes howard stern pre howards plastic surgery look like brad pitt

he gets the lowest trash woman and then says all woman are like them

he is a fat ugly radio DJ, Imagine what kind of groupies he would get ???

and this is what we should gauge our persepections of woman on

ok when snoop talks bitchs and Ho's , he is talking about the only woman around him real life gold diggers , but quality pussy not like the low classs f leval pussy likus gets

snoop has the right as a artist to speak on what he sees around him and hey ladies get mad at other woman for making you guys look bad

now Tom Likus is another case all together to hear him you think he is tom cruise in magnolia to see him he looks like well harry from AICN with a beard and red har

just fat and gross

and he has NO GAME And LA has shit talk radio for sure

aclockworkjj

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesand he has NO GAME And LA has shit talk radio for sure
It's not an "original Tom" idea...but one he still uses.  Go to the ATM, find a reciept that someone has tossed away, the one with the highest balance.  Keep that in your wallet.  Then when presented with an opprotunity to give your phone number to a girl....write it on the back of that.  The moral is...you bet your fine broke ass that girl will be calling you.  Sad, but true.  Leykis is a dipshit, but there is a lot of truth he speaks.  Sure he generalizes, and groups, but it's all too often that society makes him seem like he knows what he is talking about.  Women (not all) are naive and stupid...most (not all) would take 6 gold cards over true love in a heartbeat...most (not all) will sell themselves out for any guy.  Leykis is a dumbfuck, but funny as hell, and sometimes has a good point.

And Pants, as far as Snoop's ho's?  Maybe I just don't see the reference.  Assuming you mean the ghetto bitches he refers too...have you ever even seen one, or yet known one?  Cause, don't get me wrong, I totally dig the chocolate love....but there is nothing classy about a ghetto girl.  They are just as bad of gold diggers as the white trashy girls Leykis refers too.  Only difference is, they will slap the shit outta yer ass and sleep with your best friend if they don't get what they want.  Where as the white trash will just sleep with your best friend.  Shit ghetto girls,... they do that good, considering they have been doing it to half the brothers round the block since they was only 13 years old.        They also whine and complain about how it's not their fault they livin' up on Crenshaw and Hyde Park.  And that's all connected to the glory stories they tell of their "baby's daddy" being in jail cause he tried to rob a bank for baby food.  Like he is some fuckin' modern day Robin Hood.  I don't know many girls like this but all I have met have the same story to tell.  And not once did I see an ounce of class there.  Instead, I saw nothing but tainted pussy and a chip on their shoulder.  If that's classy...I dunno...I am glad I have already excepted the fact I have none.

Teen Wolf

What if she wanted to enter your number into her cell phone? I guess you'd have to be like, "No, no -- let me write it down." Or you could expand the idea into other situations, like, "Oh, you need a tissue? Here have one of my bank statements."

all i meant snoop gets  abetter classs of gold diggers then a fat old dj and they would be black white whatever

but heis smart enough to just fuck them and leave , but he married his high school swetheart who with him when he was broke

thats reality

SoNowThen

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalonesand he has NO GAME And LA has shit talk radio for sure
It's not an "original Tom" idea...but one he still uses.  Go to the ATM, find a reciept that someone has tossed away, the one with the highest balance.  Keep that in your wallet.  Then when presented with an opprotunity to give your phone number to a girl....write it on the back of that.  The moral is...you bet your fine broke ass that girl will be calling you.  Sad, but true.  Leykis is a dipshit, but there is a lot of truth he speaks.  Sure he generalizes, and groups, but it's all too often that society makes him seem like he knows what he is talking about.  Women (not all) are naive and stupid...most (not all) would take 6 gold cards over true love in a heartbeat...most (not all) will sell themselves out for any guy.  Leykis is a dumbfuck, but funny as hell, and sometimes has a good point.

And Pants, as far as Snoop's ho's?  Maybe I just don't see the reference.  Assuming you mean the ghetto bitches he refers too...have you ever even seen one, or yet known one?  Cause, don't get me wrong, I totally dig the chocolate love....but there is nothing classy about a ghetto girl.  They are just as bad of gold diggers as the white trashy girls Leykis refers too.  Only difference is, they will slap the shit outta yer ass and sleep with your best friend if they don't get what they want.  Where as the white trash will just sleep with your best friend.  Shit ghetto girls,... they do that good, considering they have been doing it to half the brothers round the block since they was only 13 years old.        They also whine and complain about how it's not their fault they livin' up on Crenshaw and Hyde Park.  And that's all connected to the glory stories they tell of their "baby's daddy" being in jail cause he tried to rob a bank for baby food.  Like he is some fuckin' modern day Robin Hood.  I don't know many girls like this but all I have met have the same story to tell.  And not once did I see an ounce of class there.  Instead, I saw nothing but tainted pussy and a chip on their shoulder.  If that's classy...I dunno...I am glad I have already excepted the fact I have none.

Fucking brilliant post. Especially the first part.

Why do I have to want to be with hot sluts who I hate so much when I actually stop to think about it?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

maybe i cant take him seriouse because he has been married 5 times and is ft and ugly ( which saying fat and ugly here is like yelling nigger in bed stuy)

but i get better game from better places, and most of the game i spit is from my own head

i cant stand leykis

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: boombanglarrabee"Ironic. I read this post and have Tom Leykis on my radio right now."

Thanks for pointing out grammar mistakes.  Now try adding something to the conversation.  Kay?

Quote from: Weak2ndAct

Thanks for pointing out grammar mistakes.  Now try adding something to the conversation.  Kay?

with that tone, you should of ended this sentence with and Buh bye

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: AlguienEstolamiPantalones
Quote from: Weak2ndAct

with that tone, you should of ended this sentence with and Buh bye

Good call.  I just can't stand when the grammar/english police come by to tell you that you've fucked up just for the sake of it, and add nothing to the topic at hand.  Buh bye.