there has been blood (and now QT's review of CMBB)

Started by pete, November 06, 2007, 01:06:10 AM

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

72teeth

Finally saw this... yes. Lord yes.
It's been here in my town for about 4 days and tonite was the first time i was able to get tickets... the usher said that litterally every showing has been a sell out so far... nice
you guys seem to have tapped out the whole picture pretty good, so ill just add this note:

-Notice that whenever (if i recall correctly) a new time card comes up, it cuts to Plainview drinking out of cup, and the cups get progressively better and better (tin mug < glass with gold trim)

-Also, when DDL is doing his milkshake bit, when get gets to "Acroooosss the room," with his hobble and his finger in the air, i swear he's doing a tin man impersonation, what do you

And my audience was great too! Gasps, Laffs, Claps were all in the right order and everyone just loved it which is always nice... only bad thing was that I live in San Luis Obispo which was mentioned during the "Why don't i own this," scene and it caused everyone to go "WWOOO" and applaud which was kinda annoying... SLO is also a pretty big college town, which was evident by everyones guttural shutters when Plainview started chugging that vodka, that in turn made everyone laugh...

i am seeing this again tomorrow.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

modage

somebody at work today called me into his office and pointed to a black cd sized slipcase on his desk that said THERE WILL BE BLOOD.  it was the screener.  i hate this man.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Being a SAG member, I was hoping for a screener since Paramount Vantage sent me ones for Into The Wild and No Country, but all I got was a free ticket and a press book like this one:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

md

"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

MacGuffin

Quote from: Lucid on January 30, 2008, 09:02:52 AM
"I'd give blood to see this movie again"?  Who the fuck said that?

Baz Bamigboye; Daily Mail
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

that was good.  but it was only 16 minutes!  The Treatment is ALWAYS 28 min.  wtf paul!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tlong

FYI....

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre will be playing on Friday morning (Feb. 1) on TCM.

I tried to see BLOOD again on Sunday afternoon.

Packed theatre.

Teenager next to me makes a call just as the movie starts. Talking very loudly. He is texting while talking.

His girlfriend makes comments. About movie. "Why is he alone?", "What's he doing?" in a tone that one cannot be confused with a whisper.

Then Daniel blows up something.

Woot. Silence.

"man, that was cool."

The teenage girl responds -

"Yea, but he lost all his tools. How's he going to get his tools back?"

Silence.

I think maybe I will live through this....

Then Daniel falls.

"DUDE. You ARE so in trouble now..."

"why did he have to fall?"

i left.

Is that too much of a spoiler for the movie?

hedwig

Quote from: tlong on January 31, 2008, 07:21:33 PM
i left.
you don't LEAVE so early in the game, tlong. you'd already seen the film, it's not like you'd miss anything big if you turned and asked them to be quiet. come on people! don't be afraid to shush the geezers, the young stupid couples, and the annoying families who are determined to ruin your movie experience.

Quote from: tlong on January 31, 2008, 07:21:33 PM
Is that too much of a spoiler for the movie?
this is the thread for people who have seen the movie. so.. no.

The Red Vine

I've seen TWBB 5 times so far and plan on going again tonight. My initial criticisms of the film have diminished the more I think about them within the film's context. SPOILERS. While there's no denying the final scene is over the top, the more I watch it the more I feel it makes sense within the progression of Plainview's madness. He's an alcoholic, melodramatic, and bitter character defeating his final competition, and ultimately himself. There's nothing left for him to fight or hope for. I couldn't help but get tears in my eyes during the flashback of Plainview's "son" playing with his hat. I suppose I could relate on a personal level considering my relationship with my father.

All of PTA's films are so unique and beautiful in their own ways, so I don't want to compare TWBB with any of them. I'll never be able to pick the "best PTA film". I just know my instincts from years ago were correct about PTA and Alfonso Cuaron being special talents. Both filmmakers have grown tremendously in their work.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

tpfkabi

having just read through this thread:

in reference to laughter at the final scene - it's something Kubrick did as well, especially in ACO - present a horrible scene in a theatrical way......especially the part where Daniel jumps up to throw a pin at the right and then Eli pops his head up on the left - that is Looney Toons-ish to me.

but wow.......i was giddy all day just waiting for 4pm to come.

and something someone else mentioned in reference to the close up of the diary - several times you see the phrase "my brother."

did anyone make out what Daniel says at the end of the baptism?
it's something about the pipeline i believe.

one thing that is sticking in my mind with the final line - he promised twice to kill the banker, but he did not.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

theyarelegion

picolas

Quote from: edison on January 27, 2008, 03:09:03 PM
Wonder what happened to this shot.

perhaps it's from the shooting of

another thing: boogie and maggie are siblings. i feel pdl and blood are more like good/evil twins.

plainview has love but the derrick destroys his relationship with his son and makes his business flourish whereas the harmonium brings love into barry's life and disrupts his slavish relationship with his small business.

Sunrise

Quote from: H.(sparro)W. on January 31, 2008, 10:21:49 AM
PTA on The Treatment.

Man, it's so fun listening to him...makes me nostalgic for his audio commentaries. The interviewer had a little too much self-confidence for my taste, but a nice little interview nonetheless.

Also, Paul pretty much clears up the water/vodka issue in the last reel...at least what they intended it to be.