Why the Golden Globes pissed me off

Started by Gloria, January 16, 2011, 10:38:57 PM

Derek

It's nice to see JGL still honing his off-screen Rat Pack reject persona. Why does he insist on trying to sound like Sammy Davis, Jr., baby?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

polkablues

That's just him being super, super high.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gloria

Quote from: Alexandro on January 18, 2011, 01:55:31 PM
I don't understand anything in this thread.

Gloria, are you implying that for a female role to be completely good it has to be some sort of "women power" manifesto? That's just stupid. Sorry but it is, very very stupid to think in those terms. As I Love a Magician pointed out, there were plenty of juicy roles for women that gave actresses a chance to plunge into the depths of their talent and show it off. Every year there are. Men usually win playing antiheroes, fucked up devastaded people, and no one complains of "not relating".

Then the whole thing is based on watching the golden globes, which makes it bizarre. Then Reelist is perhaps joking around with the oscars being the INTEGRITY ANSWER to the golden globes.

What??

Thanks for your opinion.  All I really wanted to do was vent my frustrations at what I realized by watching the Golden Globes -- that there are a lot of honored movies that really don't give women a lot of good roles.  I have not see Rabbit Hole, but I hope to.  I just realized that when I was looking for a good, strong, positive female character in a primary role -- I couldn't find her at the Golden Globes (particularly in the Drama section).  Maybe I'm wishing for something for myself -- maybe I just want to watch someone succeed who I can relate to.  I understand that not all characters have to be relatable, and half the fun of movies are the fact that you can live vicariously through someone else.  I just want a "King's Speech" or "The Fighter" for a woman.  Let a woman actually overcome an obstacle for once.  Women lead characters "making it against all odds" should not just be in romantic comedies with upbeat pop songs.

Quote from: socketlevel on January 18, 2011, 01:55:31 PM
these are great roles for females. it's funny Gloria, i made the exact opposite arguments in favor of women having more to sink their teeth into. so they could be three dimensional, and not perfect in their social abilities.

what is the alternative? female characters always in the right or sneaky/witty in teaching men lessons in life? it's great movies are exploring the dark side of women. because the dark side of women is both unique and beautiful while at the same time cautionary.

I don't want a sneaky woman teaching men lessons -- I want her learning her own lessons.  If she's teaching a man, she's probably a secondary character anyway, haha.   I enjoy movies that explore the dark side of women, too.  Believe it or not, I did enjoy Black Swan!  A lot!  I just feel that that's the only way women are honored in the drama category.

Thanks to everyone for responding.  I was a bit scattered with my post, but I was in the moment.  Thanks for this discussion -- it's always interesting here.  :yabbse-grin:

Alexandro

you mean like sandra bullock in the blind side?

Gloria

Quote from: Alexandro on January 19, 2011, 08:17:48 PM
you mean like sandra bullock in the blind side?

Okay, you're gonna call me out on this, but I haven't seen it.  However, Erin Brockovitch is a good example of one.  I just think we need more of them.  You know, show some variety.

Stefen

Unfortunately, everything is controlled by the male 18-35 demographic, and that demographic are a bunch of idiots who want to see dudes kick ass and women look sexy. I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

alejandro, you can't pretend Hollywood's a leveled playing field and great actresses get offered as many good roles as the actors.  that's as stupid as anything you're accused Gloria's points of being.
Gloria, I've got some obscure foreign films (only obscure in the US) to recommend you if you know how to download movies illegally off the internet.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

Alexandro

Quote from: pete on January 19, 2011, 11:08:59 PM
alejandro, you can't pretend Hollywood's a leveled playing field and great actresses get offered as many good roles as the actors.  that's as stupid as anything you're accused Gloria's points of being.
Gloria, I've got some obscure foreign films (only obscure in the US) to recommend you if you know how to download movies illegally off the internet.

I didn't say that.
I said there were enough juicy female roles and that it was dumb to complain about those roles not being positive enough for the image of the female sex. I also said most of the time actors (male actors) win awards playing disturbing and/or hard to like characters and you don't listen to anyone complain about why male actors don't get a chance to show their most redeeming qualities as, you know, males.

socketlevel

Quote from: Gloria on January 19, 2011, 08:11:33 PM
  I just feel that that's the only way women are honored in the drama category.

truthfully up until the last 2-3 years the only great awards given at the Oscars were in both the female actor categories, even in the worst of the awards era (mid 90s to mid 2000s)

it was the only category that i looked forward to, because they were meaty roles usually in in dependant films. if you're interested go back and check it out.

i agree with Pete that women don't get nearly as many good roles, i just think one of the reasons (along with many many more) is because writing a corrupted/troubled female character since the 80s was wrongfully considered politically incorrect. which is sad. it was safe to either objectify a woman as a bimbo or write her as a man's moral compass. both of which are retarded. I've seen just as many relationships go shitty because of the woman in as much as i have because of the man.

imagine a film where a woman fucks up her relationship, and through the trials and tribulations comes around to seek an apology, and the man either decides to take her back or not. they do exist, but so seldom. there are countless films like that with men.  the true question is how does that serve in the bigger picture? who knows. I'm happy that the pendulum swing is starting to come back.
the one last hit that spent you...