The Worst is The Best!

Started by RegularKarate, June 02, 2009, 11:46:21 AM

RegularKarate

I have avoided those big-shark movies... like I said, the straight to video stuff is almost 100% no-good for this thing.  I think it just goes against the formula that makes for a good bad-movie-night movie.  There has been be some real sincere effort and money is a big part of that.  If there wasn't enough money poured in to get it released theatrically, it usually doesn't come out the right kind of bad for this venue.  Same with stuff like that Scarecrow slayer movie.  I'm sure they're entertaining to watch... just not necessarily for this.

Last night we watched the Rollerball remake.  It was insanely terrible... that's the kind of trainwreck I love to watch at this thing.  What was up with the ten minute action scene randomly shot on video in night-vision?  Thanks for that suggestion, polka!

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarate on June 08, 2009, 02:22:53 PM
Last night we watched the Rollerball remake.  It was insanely terrible... that's the kind of trainwreck I love to watch at this thing.  What was up with the ten minute action scene randomly shot on video in night-vision?  Thanks for that suggestion, polka!

The absolute doofiest thing about that movie, which was comprised entirely of doofiness, was the real-time ratings counter in the head office.  Every time something violent happened in the rollerball match, the ratings would instantly go up.  Clearly, the implication was that people who watch Rollerball are freaking psychic and somehow get a feeling that something entertaining has just happened in something they're not watching, and they should immediately tune in.

Also, Chris Klein's fake stubble.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pas

How awesome was Universal Soldier:Regeneration  :shock:

The Andrew twist was really smart and well played. "Do you often contemplate the complexity of life? YES OR NO?" ...where do they find this stuff?

Dolph Lundgren is a pretty sweet actor, of course. While Van Damme is disappointing when it comes to lines in this, he does provides the laughs in the extras and he fights perfect. That new MMA actor Mike Pyle, the one who plays the non-UniSol: perfect John Cena type actor. Maybe better (better looking, looks a lot smarter). Arlovsky was a good silent-villain type. I will bet 100$ that these two guys would've been shit in this were it not for this John Hyams guy. He is now the active DVD-action director to watch. His style reminds of the greatest classics of the early-to-mid-90s, with no trace of hideous modern type action. His stunts are completely pre-Matrix AND pre-Bourne, the two culprits of the death of action cinema.

I can't believe I blind bought that blu-ray, I was hoping for a really funny turd and got a kick ass actioner. what a lucky strike.

pete

john hyams is peter hyams' son, peter hyams directed timecop and 2010 and a whole bunch of movies.  I guess directing van damme became like a family business.  I know a bit about this producer who's behind a few van damme franchises and wants to launch similar careers from wrestling and mma stars right now, he's kinda a character.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton