Last Night In Soho (dir. Edgar Wright)

Started by jacques100, July 15, 2019, 11:06:47 AM

jacques100

Speaking to Empire earlier this year, Wright teased his intention to make Last Night In Soho, returning to home soil after the Atlanta, Georgia setting of Baby Driver. "I realised I had never made a film about central London – specifically Soho, somewhere I've spent a huge amount of time in the last 25 years," he explained. "With Hot Fuzz and Shaun Of The Dead you make movies about places you've lived in. This movie is about the London I've existed in." Wright also listed Don't Look Now and Repulsion as influences on this one.

Wright's cinematographer on this one is Chung-hoon Chung – a regular collaborator of Park Chan-Wook, who shot Oldboy, Thirst, Stoker, and The Handmaiden with the Korean auteur, among others. Wright co-wrote the film with Krysty Wilson-Cairns, and the project's cast is led by modern-day scream queen Anya Taylor-Joy – joined on screen by the likes of Matt Smith and Leave No Trace's Thomasin McKenzie.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/edgar-wright-horror-last-night-soho-starts-shooting/

Capote

Wright's first horror movie. Excited to this.
He posted the first still a while ago.

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/1167563991041925122
Nah fuck this. I have a choice between shit with the FBI or Getting my fucking IP leaked? you guys are fucked. im not leaking shit. leak my fucking IP, Im done

Capote

Btw, Chung Chung-hoon is the cinematographer for this.
Nah fuck this. I have a choice between shit with the FBI or Getting my fucking IP leaked? you guys are fucked. im not leaking shit. leak my fucking IP, Im done

csage97

No talk about this? It's premiering at TIFF, and the Trailer looks interesting:

WorldForgot

Quote from: WorldForgot on May 25, 2021, 10:05:15 AM
QuoteEdgar Wright's psychological thriller about a young girl, passionate in fashion design, who is mysteriously able to enter the 1960s where she encounters her idol, a dazzling wannabe singer. But 1960s London is not what it appears, and time seems to fall apart with shady consequences...

Dang, no matter how it ends up hitting (Baby Driver iz fun fluff, somehow I find Spaced + Hot Fuzz to have more substance, although they are really meta-texts on entertainment, Scott Pilgrim iz unmatched as Grand Pop-Art) -- I suspect this plot will be ripe for analyzing along the linez of Mark Fisher's hauntology + lost futurez.

Quote from: Alma on May 25, 2021, 01:27:58 PM
https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/1397238328072851459

This looks fun, v. Suspiria/Repulsion inspired. Will be cool to see Terence Stamp, Rita Tushingham and Diana Rigg (RIP) in a 60s set film, he always has great casting choices.

Quote from: pynchonikon on May 25, 2021, 02:18:34 PM
As much as I like Edgar Wright, I don't feel he's the right guy to pull such stuff off, the trailer seems like walking the line between self-seriousness and intentional cheesy. I guess the script he co-write with Krysty Wilson-Cairns (she was apparently in the writing team of Penny Dreadful's final season) will have more of her input than his.

csage97

I see. Either I'm bad at navigating the forum, or I miss these things when they pop up (perhaps a bit of both, and those are not mutually exclusive either and probably related).

WorldForgot

Haha, all good! Part of that fault's on me probably for putting it in the Director's thread rather than the Film's.

I'm trying to better organize where I post, after a recent dope discussion on this same organizational topic.

wrongright

Premiering Out of Competition in Venice.

Yes

This is stupendously bad and self-implodes in most contradictory and morally bankrupt manner

Edgar Wright being an ebullient visualist prevents this from being much worse but this is the best he's capable of in horror genre? Really? Such a nothing movie that tries to be about everything

Drenk

I hate Baby Driver, but it's pretty funny that it got Wright a constant Beats product placement for his follow-up, apparently. (Just watched half of the trailer.)
Ascension.

wilberfan

Yes

wilberfan

Shughes

Quote from: wilberfan on October 29, 2021, 04:30:46 PM
Quote from: Drenk on October 29, 2021, 04:20:01 PM
I hate Baby Driver...

(I thought I was the only one. )

I hate Baby Driver too. Thought Last Night in Soho was better. Some interesting moments but ultimately falls apart.

csage97

Saw this tonight. Thought it was decent. Edgar Wright's writing has always struck me as pretty surface-level ... which is fine if I'm in the mood for something light and kind of campy. This one dragged a bit in the middle and later on. The thriller aspect was too fluffy to really be frightening at all. Wright's visual storytelling is usually really good; in this one the visuals were nice but the visual storytelling holds the audience's hand too much (e.g.,
Spoiler: ShowHide
showing the drawing on the bar twice to remind the audience that Ellie forgot it there
).

For what it's worth, I wasn't really a fan of Baby Driver either. I really enjoy the Cornetto Trilogy, though.