phish

Started by Sanjuro, October 11, 2003, 10:59:01 AM

Sanjuro

anybody listen to phish?
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

aclockworkjj

yes, I dig phish...tho, I can't stand the trustfund dirt ass hippi crowd.  Try selling me bunk licks again, pricks!  I have dug these guys for a while, and always manage to catch the shows.

You actually made me throw this on.

Trey joins dave matthews on the road...

NEON MERCURY

...yeah I use to be reeal big into them but .I just stoplistening to them for some reason..I think their awesome talents..

i saw them live once back in 1995.....great show..::damn thats a long time ago::

Pedro

I like phish alot but ive never seen them live.  i really like jam bands a lot...seen string cheese a few times and widespread and dmb(if you wanna call em a jam band)...and those were all great show...they're killer musicians

bonanzataz

i think that an untapped area of of dork that not enough people make fun of is the typical phish dork. i mean, there are film dorks, theater dorks, school dorks, but the worst kinds of dorks are the phish dorks because they try to base an entire lifestyle around it. let's get high and download a phish show! the band itself is good, but the people who spend way too much time with it piss me off. at least the the film dorks want to make movies, the theater dorks want to act, and school dorks want to get good grades, go to college and make mommie and daddy lots of money. they have ambition. i'd say that there are a lot of phish dorks out there that want to make music of their own, but most just want to cover phish.

in my opinion, the only phish albums that are really enjoyable are rift, billy breathes, and maybe hoist. the jamming gets old after a while. it's something i'd have fun watching my friends play in their basements, not something i'd pay $70 a ticket for.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: bonanzatazi think that an untapped area of of dork that not enough people make fun of is the typical phish dork. i mean, there are film dorks, theater dorks, school dorks, but the worst kinds of dorks are the phish dorks because they try to base an entire lifestyle around it. let's get high and download a phish show! the band itself is good, but the people who spend way too much time with it piss me off. at least the the film dorks want to make movies, the theater dorks want to act, and school dorks want to get good grades, go to college and make mommie and daddy lots of money. they have ambition. i'd say that there are a lot of phish dorks out there that want to make music of their own, but most just want to cover phish.

in my opinion, the only phish albums that are really enjoyable are rift, billy breathes, and maybe hoist. the jamming gets old after a while. it's something i'd have fun watching my friends play in their basements, not something i'd pay $70 a ticket for.

that was funny ...your right.

HERE ARE THE CHARACTERISTICS THAT I HAVE NOTICED..(EITHER POSITVE OR NEGATIVE DEPENDING ON YOUR VIEW)

1.0  they smoke pot b/c they think it makes them cool
2.0  try to act like a hippy but drive their daddy's tahoe to the shows
3.0  think phish is the greatest band on earth
4.0  typical conversation:"like dude trey was awesome . that note he held on the guitar? damn that was killer.  i toked a bowl right afterwords."
5.0  typical conversation #2"yeah , have you heard 4/21/98 , that show had a 45 min. version of tweezer?.."yeah .but on 5/05/00 there was a 54 min . version compltete with dave matthews on guitar as a guest..Now that was fresh"..

samuelclemens

phish is no more
Stupid babies need the most attention!

Reinhold

must confess that i'm not a big phish fan... don't know too much about the band.  trey is playing with dave matthews and some other people in an upcoming concert series that i may or may not have tickets to see... still waiting to see if the (great and powerful) Warehouse has decided to grant me tickets before they go on sale to the public.  

they're playing with Spyboy/Emmylou Harris. anybody know who these people are?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: samuelclemensphish is no more
no, no, no...they will be back...trust this kid.

godardian

I don't mean for this to be overkill, but: Phish stands (stood?) for everything I think pop music SHOULDN'T be.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sleuth

Moreso than Britney?  Well, okay.

What's your deal with "pop music" anyway?  Why not just accept it as music alone
I like to hug dogs

aclockworkjj

Quote from: godardianI don't mean for this to be overkill, but: Phish stands (stood?) for everything I think pop music SHOULDN'T be.
how do you figure it as "POP"???....seriously...

godardian

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: godardianI don't mean for this to be overkill, but: Phish stands (stood?) for everything I think pop music SHOULDN'T be.
how do you figure it as "POP"???....seriously...

It's part of popular culture, isn't it? I posted a long explanation about how I don't acknowledge petty, silly distinctions from people who think their sub-genre of pop isn't pop. If you can go to the record store and buy it, it's pop, everything from The Carpenters to The Sex Pistols, from Noel Coward to The Who. I think splitting it up into dull little categories (if I never, ever hear words like "electroclash" or "punk-pop" again, it'll be too soon, and don't even get me started on goddamn "SUB-Pop") betrays a narrow-mindedness and lack of real sophistication on the part of the person doing such categorizing.

To me, there's no emotion in Phish whatsoever. The lyrics and melodies aren't there. It's all technical skill- MERE technical skill, unimpressive and irrelevant as instrumental proficiency is for this type of music- stretched out to lengths of ungodly boredom. It's worse than Radiohead! You need drugs to enjoy it. You need to have it in a special little category of musicianship to enjoy it. It doesn't stand on its own the way the best pop music does.

I will say that, little as I actually care for Britney Spears, she understands more important things about making records than Phish does. And her stage antics may be ridiculously stupid, but not as ridiculously stupid as jumping on trampolines and employing vacuum cleaners.

The only pro with Phish that I can think of is that they have a better Ben and Jerry's flavor than Britney.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

Quote from: tremolosloth

What's your deal with "pop music" anyway?  

It's awfully important to me; I'd count it as a fairly vital part of my life and worldview. I've found myself moved by a particularly spectacular pop song in a way nothing else can move me. I don't think Phish exists in the same world as that ideal, though. They display no understanding of it.

Newtron

Quote from: tremoloslothWhat's your deal with "pop music" anyway?  
He's gay.