Lost (spoilers)

Started by MacGuffin, October 07, 2004, 01:10:26 AM

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: kal on January 12, 2006, 10:46:38 PM
Just cause of the kids playing soccer in a "favela"? And guns and shit like that in the middle?

You guys need to leave your country for a bit...

So ALL countries except for the US are color-corrected a little yellow like Brazil and Nigeria seem to be?

Kal

Believe it or not... many of them are. Especially in areas like that, where you have the people living in very dry areas with no water and in some cases no power. I can see the similarity if you have only seen it on City of God, but really its like saying that the writers also saw The Beach or Castaway before writing Lost. It doesnt mean anything if you've seen many places like that in your life.

And I also meant it cause they are playing soccer, barefoot, etc... which is a very common thing in those places and in most poor villages around the world... they usually dont play football or baseball

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: kal on January 13, 2006, 02:25:13 PM
I can see the similarity if you have only seen it on City of God, but really its like saying that the writers also saw The Beach or Castaway before writing Lost.

The City of God comparison had not only to do with the yellow tint and the soccer but that a ganglord puts a gun in a 6-year-old's hand and tries to make him kill someone.  Looking at all those and the fact that the writing and producing staff on Lost are big pop culture geeks, that City of God comparison isn't really that uninformed.  I can see why you would say I need to get out of my own country more often but that's like saying we need to see more movies because Kate's backstory and Hermann-esque music reminds me of Hitchcock.

polkablues

Great episode tonight.  This season is starting to build towards something amazing.

Best last line ever.
My house, my rules, my coffee

edison

Quote from: polkablues on January 19, 2006, 02:20:03 AM
Best last line ever.

So true, sucky flashback and a lame reason for the marriage split but that confrontation scene and the last line saved this episode

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: edison on January 19, 2006, 08:13:15 AM
sucky flashback and a lame reason for the marriage split

Jack should have at least taken a sledgehammer to her spine.  "You're leaving me?  Well, I'm taking back the use of your legs, you ungrateful bitch!"  CRACK!!!

And it should all have been set to Coldplay's "Fix You."

Quote from: polkablues on January 19, 2006, 02:20:03 AM
Great episode tonight. This season is starting to build towards something amazing.

Best last line ever.

I haven't been that pumped by the end of an episode since the Numbers ep.  They've turned a corner here.  Shit is gonna go DOWN!

edison

Quote from: hacksparrow on January 19, 2006, 09:42:37 AM
They've turned a corner here.  Shit is gonna go DOWN!

but by the way this show goes, we probably wont see anything more about the "army" comment till like another 3-4 episodes, with 2-3 weeks of repeats in between. they love to throw shit out there and then do nothing about it. but yeah, when it finally does get going this should be an awesome season finale.

grand theft sparrow

I... umm... I didn't say all that.  I agree... but I didn't say that.

JG

if you ask me that was the best flashback of the season.  jack is most interesting character.    best episode yet.  so much was awesome about it i don't know where to begin.   

modage

i thought it was the first lackluster episode of the entire series.  and i love jack but the writing just wasnt up to par.  the story and bits of info to be dispersed werent bad but the execution and whole rhythm of the show was off.  from the opening minutes till the end.  michael putting jack in the room in the opening minutes was a weird way to start the episode, like 'where did that come from?' not like 40 minutse of building and THEN you can see him being driven to that.  and then they were like 'i hope sawyer gets his bandage changed' which i thought was a good line but then cut to sawyer and kate 'i think you need your bandage changed'.  jack goes crazy rogue without giving much reason for it, seemed out of character and nothing had just driven him to that except kate's disskiss and getting locked in the room.  his meeting with the others was also totally anticlimactic and he was TOTALLY unreasonable.  they were like 'lets talk' and he was like 'no, let me find michael' not like 'okay yeah.  first question: where is michael?  why are you taking our dudes?  whats with the hatch?  why are you here?  why are you letting us live here?  can we all live together peacefully?  we'll come to you or you come to us.  why is walt special?  whats going on?' you know like A THOUSAND FUCKING REASONABLE QUESTIONS TO ASK and he doesnt want to talk.  RIDICULOUS and worst: out of CHARACTER.  the last line was great, but as someone elsewhere proposed "shouldn't he be asking sayid about training an army?"   and i still hate the idea of kate with sawyer and jack with ana-lucia.  but jack and kate will be together someday, i know in my heart...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

JG

i think it was in character.  the whole theme of the episode was he is constantly trying to fix something.   he needed to fix the situation with michael to verify that he is a "miracle worker."  that's why he came up with the idea of starting an army.   it was frustrating that he didn't get anything accomplished with the others, but i think it only builds more suspense in the minds of the viewers. 

grand theft sparrow

I have to agree with modage on every point except that it was a lackluster episode.  There wasn't much good dialogue but the Others still made up for it, even if Jack should have asked better questions.  A friend of mine and I came to the conclusion that the last episode is going to be Jack asking the others to help them get off the island and the others say, "Yeah, sure. All you had to do was ask."  And they'll pull out a yacht made of titanium with a full tank of gas.

Jack should definitely have talked to Sayid about this instead of that miscast hose beast... hopefully Michelle Rodriguez has to do time for that DUI and gets written off the show.

Also, they should have taken Eko with them to find Michael.  At first I thought maybe it was because they didn't entirely trust any of the tail section but then Jack starts talking to Shooter McGavin over there about building an army so... maybe it was a racial thing.   :ponder:

MacGuffin

Was it me, or did M.C. Gainey look like Mr. Heatmiser from A Year Without A Santa Claus?

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

edison

But i dont think anyone really wants to bother sayid just yet because he lost his girl like what a day or two ago?

....but then all the more reason to ask him.

Kal

Yeah... remember everything happens in only a few days... thats maybe a reason why Sawyer had too much energy after being almost dead two days ago. But Sayid was still grieving and feeling very depressed... and Jack probably knew that asking a question like that to him or Ecko would start a new discussion and problem... Ana Lucia has nothing, so she cant refuse to help him.

I liked the episode... I also wanted them to ask so many other questions to "The Others", but the situation was so strange I guess at that point they just wanted to get our of there alive. When you look at it from outside its very easy to be rational and smart, but it wouldnt be smart for the writers to make them seem so cool in that situation.

Hurley trying to score will be a very interesting and funny adition to the storyline. And Locke calling Sawyer James at the end was just funny...

I liked Julie Bowen, not anymore. Ungrateful bitch!