Yorgos Lanthimos

Started by wilder, June 11, 2012, 07:53:06 PM

wilder

'Dogtooth' Director Yorgos Lanthimos Developing 3 English-Language Projects
via The Playlist

Yorgos Lanthimos, has recently announced three upcoming projects to feature an English-speaking cast.

Lanthimos' third feature, "Alps" is set to hit New York theatres July 13th, and during the film's press tour he spoke to Indiewire about his busy slate, noting that two of the projects are original, and the other is an offered gig. "The only thing I can say is that they're all very different," he said.

Luckily, that statement turned about to be half-untrue, because Lanthimos then went on to drop some details on exactly what those diverse upcoming projects would be. Kept under wraps at this point were a book adaptation and the for-hire directing job, "a British period film" according to Lanthimos, but more intriguing are plans for the third, a sci-fi/fantasy film. The project will find the director re-teaming with his "Dogtooth" and "Alps" co-writer Efthymis Filippou, and is said rightly to be a larger-scale effort, but with a similar tone, likely meaning wryly disturbing with a stylized form of tension that lingers throughout.

Lanthimos' previous work has always focused on behavior and ritual, and the psychology involve in both, so a sci-fi film sounds perfectly suited to an artist intent on reflecting society's current issues, along with his signature jet-black humor. And if it appears these films would artistically drain Lanthimos' mana, if you will, plans to direct a short in the U.K. before beginning the three features proves otherwise. "I want to do something creative and not just deal with the practicalities of making the films," he said, almost describing his past efforts as paint-by-number affairs, which they are distinctively not.

Lottery

Just watched Alps. What a bizarre little thing. I'm not sure exactly what I got out of it but it certainly had my attention. Intriguing stark, realistic feeling to something which is ultimately a very absurd/absurdist film. Funny.

How's Dogtooth?

polkablues

Dogtooth is amazing and one-of-a-kind. It's one of those movies that sneaks up on you and ends up hitting you like a brick. I haven't seen Alps yet, but I'm excited to. There's nobody else making movies like this guy. He shares some sensibilities with Von Trier, maybe Roy Andersson, but he's definitely his own filmmaker.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

polkajoke!

the greeks are right now expanding a cinematic lyrical sense that has plenty of prefiguring. i <3 czech, swedish, and british histories. french too of course. lanthimos himself starred in the post-dogtooth movie attenberg, made by dogooth producer athina tsangari (who also produced before midnight! hmm). a recent and youthful example is ektora lygizos's boy eating the bird's food

like with past examples, it's exciting the way political trouble reshapes national cinema. and today's modern art fashionability of minimalism is an interesting combo

i think dogtooth is ok but i know people who love it, would say in general la loves it

polkablues

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on April 21, 2013, 05:39:21 PM
i think dogtooth is ok but i know people who love it, would say in general la loves it

It's an aggressively distancing film at first, which is something I don't always respond well to, and I imagine that puts some people off of it. I don't have a good sense of the general consensus surrounding it, but it got under my skin deep.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

tbh the reason i call it "ok" is really self-embarrassing

i saw the movie twice with two groups of friends. and after the 1st time we were all like "phew, that was so good, cool." so i told other friends and took them to see it for my 2nd time. afterwards i said "wasn't that a slightly funny and totally bonkers fantasy land??" and a friend said "i think it was a real land and the father was a liar" and i said "are you sure? it's not a story set in an invented environment?" and the friend said "no it's real, pretty obvious" and i said "oh. oh, i'm kinda over it. now. huh."

so, k

wilder

Jason Clarke, Lea Seydoux, Ben Whishaw & Olivia Colman To Star In Yorgos Lanthimos' 'The Lobster'
via The Playlist

Distinct, odd, disturbing and hilarious are all words that can be used to describe the last two films from Greek helmer Yorgos Lanthimos. With 2009's Oscar nominated "Dogtooth" and 2011's "Alps," the helmer put his mark on the world of international cinema in a big way, all while managing to land on the kind of radars that directors of decidedly out-there cinema rarely attract. And now he's going all in on his most intriguing prospect yet, a star-studded, English language debut.

Jason Clarke, Lea Seydoux, Ben Whishaw and Olivia Colman are slated to star in the futuristic romance, "The Lobster." Re-teaming with screenwriting partner Efthymis Filippou, this is of course far from your usual love story, with the filmmaker once again playing with ideas of identity, connection and more. Here's the official synopsis:

An unconventional love story set in a dystopian near future where single people, according to the rules of the Town, are arrested and transferred to the Hotel. There they are obliged to find a matching mate in 45 days. If they fail, they are transformed into an animal of their choosing and released into the woods. A desperate Man escapes from the Hotel to the Woods where the Loners live and there he falls in love, although it's against their rules.

The Ireland, U.K. and Greece co-production will hit the sales floor at A.F.M. in November, with production to begin next March.

wilder

Stefen

This is my most anticipated flick for the year.  :yabbse-thumbup:

Yorgos Lanthimos is probably the most exciting filmmaker working right now and this is the perfect time for him to make this because thanks to "Marvel Cinematic Universe", "English-language debut" isn't the number one red flag that a movie will be garbage anymore.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

wilder

Emma Stone, Kate Winslet & Olivia Colman To Star In Yorgos Lanthimos' Period Drama 'The Favourite'
via The Playlist

It's not often, in fact it's pretty rare, for a foreign filmmaker making decidedly weird arthouse movies to attract A-list casts to make his movies, but Yorgos Lanthimos is the exception. After wowing cinephiles with "Dogtooth" and "Alps," the filmmaker managed to score Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz, Lea Seydoux, Ben Whishaw, John C. Reilly, and more for his no less oddball "The Lobster." And quick to strike while the iron is hot, the director is gearing up his next movie and has more big names attached, but for something that sounds quite conventional.

Emma Stone, Kate Winslet, and Olivia Colman are all in talks to join "The Favorite." This is not a movie spawned from the brain of Lanthimos, but is instead a gig he was offered, a period drama penned by Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara. The 17th century set story will find Colman all dressed up as Queen Anne, with Winslet as Sarah, Duchess of Marlborough, and Stone as Sarah's distant relative Abigail, with the tale detailing the various political machinations of royalty.

wilder

'The Lobster' Director Yorgos Lanthimos To Helm Revenge Tale 'The Killing Of A Sacred Deer'
via The Playlist

There's striking when the iron is hot, and then there's Yorgos Lanthimos' ever growing schedule. While he took two years between "Dogtooth" and "The Alps," and another four until "The Lobster" which debuted on the festival circuit last year, and comes to U.S. cinemas this spring, the director is now starting to up the pace. He's already in pre-production on "The Favorite," a period drama that will star Olivia Colman, Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz, and now he's got another gig brewing.

Deadline reports that Lanthimos will co-write and direct "The Killing Of A Sacred Deer" (good title).  Described as a psychological thriller with a supernatural touch, the story is about a young man seeking vengeance, and a doctor fighting for the survival of his family. And in Lanthimos' hands, that will probably mean something very distinct for the genre.

This one is probably a bit down the line for the director, but given that he can now attract big names to his movies, it likely won't be long until the pieces 'Sacred Deer' start coming together.

Lottery

Did the latest Radiohead vignette featuring Denis Lavant.

Jeremy Blackman

Kirsten Dunst To Topline Dark Comedy Series From George Clooney, Grant Heslov & 'The Lobster' Helmer In Works At AMC

http://deadline.com/2017/01/kirsten-dunst-star-comedy-series-amc-george-clooney-grant-heslov-the-lobster-helmer-1201880036/

EXCLUSIVE: AMC is developing On Becoming A God In Central Florida, a 1990s-set one-hour dark comedy series, which has Kirsten Dunst attached to star and executive produce. The project, to be directed by The Lobster helmer Yorgos Lanthimos, hails from George Clooney and Grant Heslov's Smokehouse Pictures, Sony's TriStar Television and AMC Studios.

Written by Robert Funke and Matt Lutsky based on a spec script they wrote, On Becoming A God is a darkly comedic story about the cult of free enterprise and one woman's relentless pursuit of the American Dream in the early '90s. Recently widowed and left with nothing, minimum-wage Orlando water park employee Krystal Gill (Dunst) lies, schemes and cons her way up the ranks of Founders American Merchandise — the cultish, flag-waving, multibillion-dollar pyramid scheme that drove her to ruin in the first place.

Funke, Lutsky, Dunst and Lanthimos executive produce alongside Oscar winners Clooney and Heslov (Argo) through Smokehouse. The project, in early development, will be overseen by Sarah Shepard for Smokehouse.

wilder

Yorgos Lanthimos & Colin Farrell Reteam For New Amazon Series
via The Playlist

Variety reveals that Farrell will star, and Lanthimos will direct a developing Amazon series based on Oliver North and the Iran-Contra affair. Enzo Mileti and Scott Wilson are working on the scripts, which Lanthimos will also put a pen to, with Ben Stiller and his Red Hour Films among the producers.

wilder

Yorgos Lanthimos to Adapt and Direct Jim Thompson's 'Pop. 1280'
via The Playlist

Those looking for more trademark nastiness from Yorgos Lanthimos may not have to wait long. The director of Oscar-nominated "The Favourite" will next tackle an adaptation of Jim Thompson's "Pop. 1280." Lanthimos will write the script, direct, and produce alongside Imperative Entertainment and Element Pictures, in association with Discovery Productions.

Lanthimos has been a fan of the novel for a while, and the plot description from the book's publisher makes it clear why this is right up the filmmaker's dark alley:

Quote"Nick Corey is a terrible sheriff on purpose. He doesn't solve problems, enforce rules or arrest criminals. He knows that nobody in tiny Potts County actually wants to follow the law and he is perfectly content lazing about, eating five meals a day, and sleeping with all the eligible women.

Still, Nick has some very complex problems to deal with. Two local pimps have been sassing him, ruining his already tattered reputation. His girlfriend Rose is being terrorized by her husband. And then, there's his wife and her brother Lenny who won't stop troubling Nick's already stressed mind. Are they a little too close for a brother and a sister?

With an election coming up, Nick needs to fix his problems and fast. Because the one thing Nick does know is that he will do anything to stay sheriff. Because, as it turns out, Sheriff Nick Corey is not nearly as dumb as he seems.
"

This is the novel's second time making it to the screen, previously in 1981 with Bertrand Tavernier's French film "Coup de Torchon." Back in 2012, Andrew Dominik was attached to direct his own adaptation of the novel, which would've starred Woody Harrelson and Leonardo DiCaprio. There's no word yet on who star this time around.