PTA Interviews (on YouTube or otherwise)

Started by ono, July 07, 2011, 03:45:25 AM

wilberfan

Drenk

Ascension.

ForTheHungryBoy

LOL - So strange hearing him talk about controversial/real-world topics

... And what was up with him saying he's a married man at the start of the second vid  :saywhat:

Lewton

I remember coming across a screenshot of one of those interviews and posting about it here. It's kind of surreal to see the footage itself. I never thought it would show up, seemed too obscure.

It really highlights the huge differences between PTA's interview style before and after TWBB.

I seem to remember someone on here talking about how PTA showed up to that Charlie Rose table in 2007 or 2008. Rose had him on his back foot during the Magnolia press tour, demanding "WHAT IS THIS MOVIE ABOUT?!" Back then, he rushed to give Rose the one line summary he wanted.

Cut to the 2007 Rose interview and PTA is almost monosyllabic at times. I vaguely remember this hilarious moment where Rose is looking for an answer and PTA is simply like, "I dunno." 

kingfan011

Quote from: Lewton on January 13, 2020, 02:43:52 PM
I remember coming across a screenshot of one of those interviews and posting about it here. It's kind of surreal to see the footage itself. I never thought it would show up, seemed too obscure.

It really highlights the huge differences between PTA's interview style before and after TWBB.

I seem to remember someone on here talking about how PTA showed up to that Charlie Rose table in 2007 or 2008. Rose had him on his back foot during the Magnolia press tour, demanding "WHAT IS THIS MOVIE ABOUT?!" Back then, he rushed to give Rose the one line summary he wanted.

Cut to the 2007 Rose interview and PTA is almost monosyllabic at times. I vaguely remember this hilarious moment where Rose is looking for an answer and PTA is simply like, "I dunno."

Love the Charlie Rose interview for Blood. Its hysterical. Most of the interview seemed to be Lewis and Anderson giggling between each other while giving Rose the run around.

wilberfan

(Not really an interview.  Please move to a more appropriate thread as necessary.)

HARD EIGHT COMMENTARY TRACKS (get 'em before they go away?)

https://youtu.be/G8wm7a_Jtck

https://youtu.be/dbIAqvDA78U

jenkins

oh i just sampled the commentary track and happened to land right when pta describes meeting psh, at ~41:50, which follows pbh describing pta's  writing as mellifluous

itwasgood

Not sure if it could be categorized as interview, please move this to the right thread if it's not.
Here: https://www.indiewire.com/video/gunda-trailer-joaquin-phoenix-paul-thomas-anderson-1202212310/

Paul raved about Victor Kossakovsky's new film "Gunda", which premieres at Berlin Film Festival this weekend:
QuoteGunda’ is pure cinema. This is a film to take a bath in — it’s stripped to its essential elements, without any interference. It’s what we should all aspire to as filmmakers and audiences — pictures and sound put together to tell a powerful and profound story without rush. It’s jaw dropping images and sound put together with the best ensemble cast and you have something more like a potion than a movie.

Joaquin Phoenix is the executive producer of the film, that's probably why Paul got to watch it before its premiere in Berlin and threw in a few nice words.
There's also a trailer of the film in the link if anyone's interested.

WorldForgot

Anderson/Peele - Fangoria

um will try to appropriately rearrange later lol, edit forthcoming...

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Drill

So any film he mentions liking is one is "favorite films!!"?

Indiewire is so annoying.

Tdog

Quote from: Drill on March 05, 2020, 04:13:59 PM

In fairness, and while Indiewire may be delving into hyperbole, PTA does tend to champion a lot of movies, some of which I'd consider to be straight up bad (Ted).

Remember the John Kransinski anecdote where PTA took him aside at a party and told him thst he shouldn't say that a movie is "bad" because it might jeopardise other movies getting funding? He just doesn't seem to have the brutal honesty of someone like Scorsese in him.

Drill

Quote from: Tdog on March 06, 2020, 06:49:26 AM
Quote from: Drill on March 05, 2020, 04:13:59 PM

In fairness, and while Indiewire may be delving into hyperbole, PTA does tend to champion a lot of movies, some of which I'd consider to be straight up bad (Ted).

Remember the John Kransinski anecdote where PTA took him aside at a party and told him thst he shouldn't say that a movie is "bad" because it might jeopardise other movies getting funding? He just doesn't seem to have the brutal honesty of someone like Scorsese in him.

Exactly, which is why this "piece" is pointless.

Sleepless

I agree, it's total fluff to fill space while the industry scrambles with coronavirus. But always good to have a list of films that are worth checking out, right? (A Quiet Place excluded, obvs.)
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.