Gangs of New York

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 08, 2003, 03:57:05 PM

sphinx

Quote from: DirkHe was the guy at the head table when Diaz was the "maid" at their house. He had some ginormous eyebrows on. Pretty funny.

scorsese actually does have naturally enormous eyesbrows.  unless you already knew that.

RegularKarate

Shit, you know, I remember him now, I had just forgotten that part because I kept insisting to my wife that his was the ADRed voice of one of the guys that was explaining citizenship papers to people when they got off the boats.

Dirk

Quote from: sphinxscorsese actually does have naturally enormous eyesbrows.  unless you already knew that.

These seemed a little too large. Perhaps a second viewing is needed.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

budgie

I found his eyebrows utterly convincing. But p'raps that was just in the facial hair context of the film.

Really disappointed by the movie, though. Even by DDL in some respect, just because he's been so feted that I was keyed up for a real knockout. His part seemed underwritten, though, and there just wasn't enough of him. I agree with RK that the last hour was more worthwhile... but the only scene that really got me was the knife-throwing one and the follow on, when you really got Bill's theatricality full force.

I blame a bad screenplay and the chop. I would be interested to see the full version, because the whole thing seemed truncated in every sense. Scorsese also seemed reluctant to admit that essentially it was just a good old-fashioned love story in the Gone With The Wind sense, which meant the potential power of that was completely lost. And Leo... fuck he's boring. Bill woulda blown him away (and would certainly have sliced his ears off, that whole build up to how Amsterdam might have been 'disfigured' was ludicrous), and so would Jenny.

My audience was crackling with frustration, though there was the occasional 'ugh!' at the gore. The best thing that happened all night was a bloke yelling 'Orgy!' at the tastefully arranged shot of Bill and his whores. Some hope.

:(

Pwaybloe

Somebody yelled, "Orgy!" during that scene?  It looks like rednecks live on both sides of the Atlantic.  Look for "Jackass" to be another huge hit in England.  

I can see Brits laughing in frustration mostly from the accents.  I thought the "Yanks" did a pretty good job with the Scottish accents, but it probably wouldn't fly in the UK.  I'm the same way when I hear an actor/actress fake a Southern accent.  Horrible.  

I really loved the movie, and it was much better than I thought it would be.  I am a history buff, though, and I can see the argument where the story seemed to be in the way of a history class sometimes.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: PawbloeSomebody yelled, "Orgy!" during that scene?  It looks like rednecks live on both sides of the Atlantic.  Look for "Jackass" to be another huge hit in England.  

I can see Brits laughing in frustration mostly from the accents.  I thought the "Yanks" did a pretty good job with the Scottish accents, but it probably wouldn't fly in the UK.  I'm the same way when I hear an actor/actress fake a Southern accent.  Horrible.  

I know what you mean, I hate when actors cant do a accent well. I watched Velvet Goldmine last yesterday, and Ewan McGregors American accent is terrible, I noticed this in Black Hawk Down also, you can totally hear his Scottish accent and it seems like every sentence is him starting to use his native accent and then quickly catching himself and going into the American one.

Jeremy Blackman

Although... for some reason, British actresses are really good at American accents...

bonanzataz

What was up with the accents in Velvet Goldmine? Was it just me or did the mom from the Sixth Sense keep going between British and American accents?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Duck Sauce

Quote from: bonanzatazWhat was up with the accents in Velvet Goldmine? Was it just me or did the mom from the Sixth Sense keep going between British and American accents?

Brian Slades wife? Isnt she mentioned as "American _____ turned brittish"? I think its kind of supposed to be like Madonna and adapting that  accent.

Gold Trumpet

On second thought of this movie, I realize the movie didnt even have to slow things down. Picking up the pace and making it a high energy film could have worked too if it at least got into the story for the movie but the shame in this film is that it satisfies itself with a mere Hollywood story that shows nothing for the potential of what it could have been when the sets were realized in such a magnificent way. Slowing the film down to a more Kurosawa observance would have been just my choice on how to do the film.

~rougerum

bonanzataz

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: bonanzatazWhat was up with the accents in Velvet Goldmine? Was it just me or did the mom from the Sixth Sense keep going between British and American accents?

Brian Slades wife? Isnt she mentioned as "American _____ turned brittish"? I think its kind of supposed to be like Madonna and adapting that  accent.

Yeah, but she just went in and out. In the same scenes, too. It wasn't like you went through extended periods of time and her accent was different, it was like, the same scene and her accent would go from COMPLETELY british to TOTALLY american. I knew they must have done that on purpose because there's no way any director would just let that slide and whats-her-face is a very talented actress (her name has inexplicably escaped me), so when I was watching it I thought it was interesting, just pretty weird and unexplained.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

bonanzataz

budgie

Quote from: PawbloeSomebody yelled, "Orgy!" during that scene?  It looks like rednecks live on both sides of the Atlantic.  Look for "Jackass" to be another huge hit in England.  

We call them 'lads'. It made me laugh out loud, so I don't know what that makes me... something JB would disapprove of no doubt (adding extra frisson). Laughing at Jackass is an entirely different proposition though.

The audience wasn't laughing, however, it was more a kind of aura of people willing the film to take off. And mutterings. So the orgy yell was to break the tension produced by collective expectation not being met-ness. And even though RK's explanation re the Irish accents - which I think was right - had prepared me, in the end the wandering didn't bother me. Not like, say, Don Cheadle in Ocean's Eleven. It did all fit with the idea that everything was in transition and no one was really native anything.

tpfkabi

i thought the film was pretty good. i would really like to see the original director's cut.
to the history buff,
were any of the characters in the film actual people, or were only the surrounding situations true to history?
i thought the showing of all the whores was a little excessive......it didn't really add anything and none of them were really that hot i don't think
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

Bill the Butcher was a real life character and very much to the tone of Day Lewis' performance in the movie. The difference being that Bill was actually killed in a gambling house when shot in the heart. The amazing thing is that even that day and time, he survived for 7 days with the bullet literally in his heart and died saying the words, "I'm dying an American."

~rougerum