weirdest movies ever

Started by Jeremy Blackman, January 13, 2003, 03:24:36 PM

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Phil MarloweLars Von Triers Epidemic is the weirdest.
Ever.

Lars Von Triers movies scare me. In a good way.

Sigur Rós

I've been trying to figure out a "weird-list"

1.Baron Von Münchenhauser
2.The Labyrinth
3.Dreamchild
4.Dr. Strangelove
5.Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (ups almost forgot that one!)
6. Lost Highway (i guess it's weird...)

Cecil

snaporaz

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI Am Cuba

how was i am cuba strange? that's one of the most beautiful movies i've ever seen, and the story wasn't really complex at all.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: cecil b. dementeddr. strangelove?

It's kind of weird..isn't it...Riding tha' bomb that's weird! Weird Weird Weird!

Btw has anyone seen Baron Von Münchenhausen by Terry Gillem.....that's weird but that shouldn't surprise anyone :)

Duck Sauce

Quote from: mike
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI Am Cuba

how was i am cuba strange? that's one of the most beautiful movies i've ever seen, and the story wasn't really complex at all.

I think it visually is the most beautiful movie I have ever seen. Best cinematography Ive ever seen.

cowboykurtis

have any of you seen sante sangre by jodorowsky. its a woman who belongs to a cult that cut there arems off for sacrifice. her little son and her are circus performers -- he goes behind her and uses his arms for hers -- its pretty odd film. el topp is another of his -- they are fairly hard to get a hold of. have any of you seen funny games, salo, or I stand alone. i saw irreversible at sunance a few weeks ago, i believe it is fromt eh same director that did i stand alone.
...your excuses are your own...

Cecil

i saw salo. its funny as hell: "here, a spoon. now eat it!"

Pedro

Quote from: cecil b. dementedi saw salo. its funny as hell: "here, a spoon. now eat it!"

Shit I've been trying to see that for a while...And Cecil, I mean this in a good way, you are one sick fuck :-D

Dekadetia

For some classic weirdness, I would suggest Fellini Satyricon ("Rome. Before Christ. After Fellini.") and Cocteau's Blood of a Poet.

Also wanted to mention The Shining as perhaps the most popular really fucking weird film of all time. I think one of the reasons people liked The Ring is the same reason that people like The Shining; things happen that are not explained and do not compute psychologically. Its a wonder that horror movies are driven by a need to demystify so much at the end. A bit more abstraction could be just what the genre needs.

budgie

Quote from: DekadetiaThe Shining; things happen that are not explained and do not compute psychologically.

Maybe they compute in other ways, though. Such a claim makes me drool: gimme, gimme.

Dekadetia

Quote from: budgieMaybe they compute in other ways, though. Such a claim makes me drool: gimme, gimme.

I'm thinking in particular of a couple examples; the elevator full of blood, for one. Another good example is when Wendy (Shelley Duvall) is walking around the house with the knife and that soundtrack that sounds like hundreds of people playing wooden spoons is on and she looks into a doorway to see an older man on a bed with a man in a bear (dog?) suit kneeling in front of him. Now, anyone who has read The Shining or seen the miniseries knows that these two are characters who are explained by Stephen King; Kubrick chooses not to explain them, and the abstraction of it, not knowing who they are or what is going on, is much more psychologically affecting. Also, I was reading Lynch on Lynch recently, and Lynch noted his appreciation of the twin girls scene for similar reasons: "...in the daytime you figure...they're not going to appear...he rolls around the corner and there they are! You know it's not right for them to be there at that time" (Rodley 179).

budgie

I see what you're saying, and I think you've identified the essence of weirdness. I'm not convinced about the twins, though, I think it's exactly right that they're there. In fact, given the whole aura of the movie you can psychologically compute the unexplained by sort of expecting it/accepting it, I suppose - ie it makes sense in that world, like seeing a naked man in the street might. But in terms of the rational/everyday and in the eye of the beholder I guess it's potentially weird.

Vivian Darkbloom

If you're looking for weird, try and see The tenant ( I think it's the english title, since I'm french I only know it by it's original title which is Le Locataire).

The only movie that scared the shit out fo me (it's disturbing in a very Shining-kind of a way...). Maybe because I saw it a at a festival where I was almost alone in the screening room.

It was due to be released last year but got cancelled. If anybody knows of something about the DVD please let me know since I love to be disturbed.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Vivian DarkbloomIt was due to be released last year but got cancelled. If anybody knows of something about the DVD please let me know since I love to be disturbed.

As of now, there is still no set release date:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks