Most perfectly composed shot in movie history

Started by Just Withnail, May 22, 2003, 12:32:14 PM

Fernando

Mac and Mogwai got me served!!!
Thanks you very much to both of you.

Note to Mac: I can't believe you don't own In the Mood for Love, please but please go buy it now, it is amazing, and so beautifully shot.

Reed Rothchild

You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

Redlum

Finally sorted out some working webspace.

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

some recent nice ones:

actually the last one is not a shot. it's  146 shots put together.
context, context, context.

sensational brunette

The closing shot to Chris Steele's "Comfort Blanket" looks pretty symmetrical, with the protagonists holding hands, and a slow motion, trancelike feeling.  It cuts out really abruptly, leaving an imprint of them in silhouette, if you blink over the closing titles.

Finchy.

Quote from: sensational brunetteThe closing shot to Chris Steele's "Comfort Blanket" looks pretty symmetrical, with the protagonists holding hands, and a slow motion, trancelike feeling.  It cuts out really abruptly, leaving an imprint of them in silhouette, if you blink over the closing titles.

Yeah...That is a pretty cool effect.  Kind of disorients you.  Surely 'Perfect Eyes' is a contender for the crucifix shot as well, but that isn't static.
bunnykins

At the beggining (and ending) of City of God. there's a shot that involves a chicken running under a van.  That's complex...

cine

Quote from: cronopioAt the beggining of City of God. there's a shot that involves a chicken running under a van.  That's complex...
Title of thread: Most perfectly composed shot...

What I meant is that , it must have been very hard to get that shot.

com·pose    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (km-pz)
v. com·posed, com·pos·ing, com·pos·es
v. tr.
1.To make up the constituent parts of; constitute or form: an exhibit composed of French paintings; the many ethnic groups that compose our nation. See Usage Note at comprise.
2.To make or create by putting together parts or elements.
3.To create or produce (a literary or musical piece).
4.To make (oneself) calm or tranquil: Compose yourself and deal with the problems logically.
5.To settle or adjust; reconcile: They managed to compose their differences.
6.To arrange aesthetically or artistically.

Compose that, motherfucker.

cine

Composed: Free from agitation; calm; sedate; quiet; tranquil; self-possessed.

You just got composed.

Pubrick

sorry chuck, but after like 20 pages i think we know what composition means in reference to shots.

how many more times do i hav to say, this is a single frame, take a single frame and hang it on ur wall. that's what this has been about. it's what made it fun. what ur talking about is favorite sequence. that's a whole lotta shots.

it's not even up for discussion.
under the paving stones.

i apologize, but if i started a thread about it, i'd probably be redirected.