30 Rock (esteemed winner of the 30 Rock vs. Studio 60 deathmatch)

Started by ono, September 18, 2006, 08:00:42 PM

RegularKarate

haha... classic Mod... he has some kind of sexual attraction to hating what he loved.

30 Rock is still incredible and they're squeezing more concentrated comedy out of the show's mind-grapes.

It's going to be up and down with the richness of characters... it still has heart, the heart just beats a little faster (they never really aimed for tugging strings)... I'm fine with that... I've alway appreciated how cartoonish the show is... they know exactly what to make fun of.

I do agree that they need to drop the excessive guest-stars (though I don't count John Hamm as part of that because he's genuinely good on the show and serves more purpose than "look who we've got!") and show more of the other characters (though they've addressed that they will, they're just taking it slower with them).

and the McFlurries thing was not product placement.

Stefen

The thing that I love about the show is that it really doesn't have heart in the traditional sense.

Case in point, in that episode where Liz goes to her High School reunion. By the end, right when it makes you think it's going to tug at your heart strings, it "shuts it down" and that's what I love about the show. I hope they don't get rid of that.

It's just going through a crappy stretch right now. The show is going to stick with what got it critical success and that's what they did the first two seasons. I want them to start using guest starts the "right" way like how they used Will Arnett. I don't like when they bring stars in just to get ratings. I understand it's necessary, but I feel it cheapens the show.

It needs more Rachel Dratch and Chris Parnell. They're both gold whenever they are on.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

yeah, i don't wish ill of the show, i just want it to get better again.  product placement and guest stars are easy targets because they did both of those things in the first two seasons but they made them work.  so when it doesnt work its just really distracting.  it's hard to put my finger on but something's just a little off.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The product placement has always been annoying to me.  I thought it was a joke at first with that one episode without commercials and everyone had a bit about Snapple, but it's been grating more and more over time.

However, the show is still very funny and every show has product placement anyway.  This show embraces and mocks it, so maybe that results in calling more attention to the products and encouraging their sale that much more, but who knows.  The product placement doesn't interfere with the quality of the writing, or at least for me, it hasn't yet.

...utilize.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Kal

Well, ratings are not huge so they need to make their money somewhere. Otherwise it will be off the air soon.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Kal

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

Tina Fey and the rest of the writers/producers must read this board or Mod's blog because this last episode was awesome. It got back to what the show does best -- using it's great cast of characters instead of just focusing on a select few.

Also, the guest stars were fun and not overdone like they have been this season (John Lithgow was great)

I hope they continue like this down the stretch. They have such a great cast. USE THEM.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

cine

Quote from: Stefen on March 05, 2009, 10:02:35 PM
Tina Fey and the rest of the writers/producers must read this board or Mod's blog because this last episode was awesome.

yeah, i was bout to say.. best ep of the season probably.

Pas

best ep. of the season for sure, well written and funny.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Kal

The look on Frank's face as he runs off at the end of priceless... amazing episode

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.