30 Rock (esteemed winner of the 30 Rock vs. Studio 60 deathmatch)

Started by ono, September 18, 2006, 08:00:42 PM

Ravi

Quote from: polkablues on December 06, 2007, 07:30:25 PM
Here's a question... has anyone here ever had, or even known a family that had, a Nielsen box in their household?  Granted, given the small sample size, this is not a very scientific survey, but given that it's at least as scientific as the actual Nielsen ratings system, the results of this question will determine whether or not Nielsen boxes even actually exist.

My family had a Nielsen box on our living room TV for a while.

Speaking of advertising, I just got a DVR.  Now I know what everyone was talking about five years ago.

Stefen

So did anyone go to the UCB show? Or is there anything online about how it went down or what it was like?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

grand theft sparrow

Never mind Andy Richter... either I'm drunk as hell from my company's Christmas party or I'm watching Buck fucking Henry right now on my DVR.

Stefen

You're not drunk, sir. That was indeed Buck Henry. 30 Rock just gets better and better when it should be getting worse and worse to ensure mainstream success.

You and I may have been the only ones watching it.

I heart 30R.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pubrick

they just started showing it here on some ridiculous timeslot. i've seen 2 episodes.

1. they go on a boat that isn't really tracy jordan's.
2. katrina bowden dressing SO HOT and then the main plot about tina being "pals" with baldwin.

maybe a good time to resurrect this thread.. the title at least, the rest is kinda worthless.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

Quote from: Pubrick on December 13, 2007, 11:12:25 PM
they just started showing it here on some ridiculous timeslot. i've seen 2 episodes.

1. they go on a boat that isn't really tracy jordan's.
2. katrina bowden dressing SO HOT and then the main plot about tina being "pals" with baldwin.

maybe a good time to resurrect this thread.. the title at least, the rest is kinda worthless.

First one was definitely episode 2 of the first season. 2nd was either 3, 4, or 5 of the same season. Sucks they aren't playing it in order because that would, ya know, make alot of sense since each episode doesn't really stand on it's own.

Pubrick

oh shit, you just made me realise they're showing it TWICE a week, and i've only been watching wednesday nights.

ebay it is.
under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Stefen on December 13, 2007, 11:02:16 PM
30 Rock just gets better and better when it should be getting worse and worse to ensure mainstream success.

Well, they just sealed their fate last night with Richter.  How could they be so careless?

Stefen

Quote from: H.(sparro)W. on December 14, 2007, 09:50:40 AM
Quote from: Stefen on December 13, 2007, 11:02:16 PM
30 Rock just gets better and better when it should be getting worse and worse to ensure mainstream success.

Well, they just sealed their fate last night with Richter.  How could they be so careless?

Yeah, but they did it the right way by having him on the last episode they made before the writers strike. By the time they make new episodes noone will remember that Andy was on it hence he won't sink the show.

The Richter has been nullified.

Also, did anyone else think that when they kept saying "Lemon Party!" about Liz's family they were referring to the sick and twisted internet phenomenon? I don't know if it was just coincidence.

I Love a Magician

Quote from: Stefen on December 14, 2007, 11:36:57 AMAlso, did anyone else think that when they kept saying "Lemon Party!" about Liz's family they were referring to the sick and twisted internet phenomenon? I don't know if it was just coincidence.

"You can't have a Lemon party without old Dick!"

Stefen

Quote from: I Love a Magician on December 14, 2007, 12:47:23 PM
Quote from: Stefen on December 14, 2007, 11:36:57 AMAlso, did anyone else think that when they kept saying "Lemon Party!" about Liz's family they were referring to the sick and twisted internet phenomenon? I don't know if it was just coincidence.

"You can't have a Lemon party without old Dick!"

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. YES.

I guarantee there were literally like 12 people who got the reference.

grand theft sparrow

You can fill the rest of us in anytime you want.

modage

yeah i got that reference.  i'm at work so i'm not going to link you, but if you google it, horrors await.

i actually thought this episode was super-weak for 30R outside of katrina bowden's new bangs and the lemonparty reference that sailed over america's heads.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

I agree. It was a weak episode. Christmas episodes tend to be weak on any show though. It's so gimmicky and Christianey.

Also, I HATED Suri's bangs. Jenna had a new hairstyle too (I sound like such a gossiping female) so I hope it was just for this ONE episode.

Do you think the writers strike will have a good or bad effect on a show struggling to gain ratings like 30R? Personally, I think it'll have a negative effect. It had some momentum that was just killed with this last episode. Maybe the re-runs and the Aussie audience like P can save it. You're our only hope P. If you shit on the show you deserve to be a year and a half behind everyone else!

The Lemon Party thing is one of those things like Goatse or meatspin. The precursor to 2girls1cup, shake that bear, pain olympics, and perezhilton.com. If memory serves it's a picture of a bunch of senior citizen men performing oral sex on each other. It's meant as a shock type thing like someone would send you an IM and be like "Dude! Judy Garland NUDE!!! Check it out!" and you'd unzip your trousers and click and it'd be Lemon Party. Like Goatse, I have no idea what the name means. That's why the reference was really funny because Liz's dads name is Dick and the saying went "You can't have a Lemon Party without old Dick!"

pete

so that still is cerie right?  I almost thought that they just found one of those replacement girls like they do on so many sitcoms.  I liked the episode still, I thought Liz's family was very charming.  the green screen was weird.  also the lemonparty thing made me glad that I hung out on messageboards, 'cause that one went over my head too.

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton