MGM to release Persona among other Bergman titles

Started by Gold Trumpet, March 29, 2003, 09:34:40 PM

godardian

Looks like release date for the box set has been changed AGAIN, this time to 04/27.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: godardian
I think it's a safe bet that anyone who's interested in Persona will be interested in Bergman's work as a whole, and thus at least somewhat interested in the box set... just because Persona is Bergman's best film doesn't mean the others aren't well worthwile and extremely interesting in their own right.

.out the box set .what do you suggest i should watch next...i'm not sure what the box set includes other than persona, passion of anna, and serpants egg..
....to guive you an idea of my tastes ..th efist 10 or so mins. in person aare phucking brilliant....(as well as the film itself)......is there any thing else in the box set comparative to that...????

I've only seen Persona... there's probably nothing up to that level of brilliance and uniqueness, but I'm definitely curious about the others. Serpent's Egg is not highly regarded, and the others aren't much discussed, so... it's Bergman, you know? I want to see it all.

I wish they'd release Face to Face on DVD... that's another one that's  not highly regarded, but I love it, so I'm going to trust that the other titles in the box will definitely have their rewards, however uneven or minor they may be in the context of his filmography.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

In addition, it appears that Amazon is canceling all pre-orders, so anyone who had a pre-order through them will have to order it again.  :evil:

cine

Amazon.ca still has it to be shipped in 24 hours but I refuse to order it until I see at least 3 reviews discussing how they've improved.

NEON MERCURY

man, that sucks guys....... :( ............maybe you guys would be better off getting the discs w/the phucked up ratio....at least  you get a chance to see them.who knows when/if this set will come out w/ the correct ratio........

and godardian, .yeah, you're right...i'll check moree of them out....thanks......

Chest Rockwell

cine

Quote from: Chest RockwellIs this the same? The picture they show is rather....I dunno...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4186136907
Thats the one that was recalled. Do NOT order that.

Chest Rockwell

Ravi

Quote from: Chest RockwellAw DAMMIT! Is the real box set out yet?

Yes.

cine

Quote from: Chest RockwellAw DAMMIT!
Chest, the big clue was this:
QuoteRelease Date:  Feb 10, 2004

SoNowThen

So I watched Persona this weekend.

How come no one sat me down and made me watch this before?

Ranks right up there with the best Fellini or Godard I've seen.

But maybe ten times as disturbing. Wow. Truly great though.

I have bb ordered The Bergman Trilogy and Cries & Whispers from Criterion. Let the good times roll.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.