UC Berkeley Q&A Session - Mar 9th

Started by Trent, February 25, 2006, 06:25:07 PM

jigzaw

Quote from: cronopio on March 11, 2006, 07:42:58 PM
Quote from: Ginger on March 10, 2006, 05:48:45 PM
Quote from: Lucid on March 10, 2006, 04:53:13 PM
*One possibly psychotic attendee went up to the mic, threw his leather jacket to the ground, and proceeded to mumble incoherently about the "giant cock" in "Boogie Nights."  PTA, like the rest of us, looked a little perplexed.  The guy finally got around to asking PTA's opinion about digital vs. film, to which he replied that film will always be around, but that he enjoyed M. Mann's work in "Collateral."  He also mentioned a scene in "Collateral" which he thought was the "stupidest fucking moment" in the film, though I can't remember what it was (someone help me out here).

The scene with the coyote running by.

so he's the only dude in hollywood allowed to use animals to create metaphors? the stupidest fucking moment in collateral is the whole ending thing.

I think the stupidest thing about Collateral is how Jaime Foxx was nominated for Best Supporting Actor when he was the protagonist, the lead of the fucking movie and was in EVERY SINGLE SCENE!!!!  How in the effing world is that supporting???
Ok, so that's not really the movie's fault.

I wish I could have seen PTA live, but I don't live in California.  Can anyone who was there get really specific about how he writes?  It's been mentioned that he talks about this, but I'd love to hear even more about his writing habits if there is any.

elpablo

I'll try to write what I remember and someone else will hopefully come along and add some more and you can piece together what you will.

I already mentioned earlier that he likes to practice writing sometimes just to keep his writing skills sharp and fine tuned. He said that his favorite time to write is in the morning right after he wakes up so he's still in a half-awake dream state. He likes it because he hasn't showered and stared at himself in the mirror and is still too tired to be self-conscious so he can flow better when he writes. Then when he's more awake he can go back and smooth it all out. When it comes to writing, he likes to keep his schedule routine. It helps him focus better. If he thinks the routine is slowing him down, he'll do something crazy like turn his desk around. Someone asked a question about how he channels his own pain and suffering to inspire himself to write. He replied that unlike a lot of writers who use their pain to drive them, he finds being busy, both literally and emotionally, to be distracting. It draws his focus into his own problems and away from the problems of the characters in his story, hence the desire for routine. He wants his world to be as close to perfect and non-distracting as possible so he can devote his undivided attention to the world in his story. He generally tries to stick to one story at a time. he doesn't like the idea of having too many ideas for different stories at the same time as it can get confusing and distracting.

The very first question was about how he developed the characters for his story (i.e., does he come up with a character and then write a story based on how that character would behave or does he come up with a story and develop characters as the need arises). He responded that since character and story are so closely related, it depends on the situation. Sometimes he will come up with a character and think about what he/she would do and then the story comes, other times a character will develop as necessary.

On the subject of developing his stories, he's not an outliner. He would much rather start with an idea of a sequence of events or characters and just start writing with out knowing where he's going. He thinks that if he knew how his story was going to end, it would "deflate" the experience. He likes the challenge of making progress with his stories and if he knows how the story is going to end and writing just becomes a process of expanding and bloating an outline, his career would not be as exciting. I liked this idea because having an ending in mind before the story is completely developed creates problems like deus ex machina - a writer has to force himself to the end. PTA likes his process because it makes for a more organic story.

The last thing I can remember is that he open to improv, he doesn't follow his script like scripture.

He might not have said all of that plain and literally, but that's what I gathered he meant from his responses, so anyone else who was there correct me if I'm wrong. He didn't seem like the kind of person who can be put on the spot and easily come up with answers and a lot of questions were answered with long "umms" and "I don't knows."

Sal

Thanks for all the updates guys.  Did he mention his kid at all, and how that affects his life personally and artistically?

imawombat

thanks so much for posting the pictures and tidbits!  man, i wish i could have been there...but alas, northern cali is too far a trek for me.

anyway, i read online somewhere else that he mentioned his relationship with jon brion?  anyone know what he said?  i'd love to hear about that.

thanks...
these things do happen

JG

i would like to know about his relationship with elliott smith, if there was one...

modage

Quote from: imawombat on March 12, 2006, 11:37:40 AM
anyway, i read online somewhere else that he mentioned his relationship with jon brion?  anyone know what he said?  i'd love to hear about that.

thanks...
i would like to know where else online you read that?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

72teeth

Quote from: Lucid on March 12, 2006, 12:27:48 PM
He didn't mention his kid, really; though someone mentioned that he was a fabulous babysitter - Paul jokingly answered, "Sure, you can come over and babysit any time."

me me me... and he was so serious and ur all totally jealous :yabbse-rolleyes:
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

FrunLg

did paul talk about second hand directing Prairie Home Companion, or working with altman at all? They screened it here in austin on Friday, i beleive Reiley attended the show.

PopsUp

oh, so he lost some weight. g.od he looked bad on the prairie home companion pics, it was depressing.

and then, can someone tell me on what occasion this was?

Pubrick

please don't let this event bring any douche bags to the board. PLEASE.
under the paving stones.

imawombat

Quote from: modage on March 12, 2006, 12:54:23 PM
Quote from: imawombat on March 12, 2006, 11:37:40 AM

thanks...
i would like to know where else online you read that?

it was on a blog somewhere, i think.  i was bored and just surfing the web and came across it...but it didn't say much other than the q&a was great and that he talked about jon brion...

hope this helps some :yabbse-undecided:
these things do happen

md

Quote from: JimmyGator on March 12, 2006, 12:14:30 PM
i would like to know about his relationship with elliott smith, if there was one...

Was this just a Q and A? No films shown at all...just, here he is, ask him some questions get your shoes signed?  I am very jealous
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

The Red Vine

I guess he didn't bring up Maya at any point. I still wish he had to stay with Fiona. he called her the love of his life. they would've been great.

"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Pubrick

Quote from: RedVines on March 13, 2006, 10:55:08 AM
I still wish he had to stay with Fiona. he called her the love of his life. they would've been great.
uh.. you should probably think about letting that go now. 4 years later.
under the paving stones.

The Red Vine

Quote from: Pubrick on March 13, 2006, 11:13:08 AM
Quote from: RedVines on March 13, 2006, 10:55:08 AM
I still wish he had to stay with Fiona. he called her the love of his life. they would've been great.
uh.. you should probably think about letting that go now. 4 years later.

if it were only that easy.  :wink:
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">