Favourite PTA Movie

Started by children with angels, March 07, 2003, 03:51:03 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Sigur Rós

What about French girls???  :shock:

Rudie Obias

MAGNOLIA without a doubt, then followed by PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Sigur Rós

Quote from: mogwai
Quote from: Sigur RósWhat about French girls???  :shock:
Oh la la.

But seriously what about them.....Ever done one?

fulty

Quote from: Sigur Rós.....Ever done one?
Ohhh, the French girl.
Soooo good.
Great accent.
Great.....
Out of my league.
Stole my heart.
Used me.
Very nice.
Gave heart back.
Broken. :(

Now must stick to Scottish sheep
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

pipo

Magnolia touched my feelings quite deep, and still can't believe it, a master piece (specially the making of dvd).
Hi, Just passed by...

Alethia

1) Magnolia - no words to fucking describe it.  no words will do it justice.

2) Punch-Drunk Love - achieved just as much as BN and Magnolia yet wasnt nearly as big or ambitious (at least not in the sense that those films were)

3) Boogie Nights - BRILLIANT BRILLIANT FUCKING BRILLIANT
^(it pained me to do so but i had to)

4) Sydney - slow, somber and rather impressive debut from a brilliant filmmaker.  very good, but definitly the least of the four films.

fulty

Quote from: mogwaiHard Eight: Winter
Boogie Nights: Summer
Magnolia: Fall
Punch-Drunk Love: Spring
Hey,
That's really......
now what is that word?.....
You know, the one that means "not stupid"?
Anyway, I like that..!!
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Teddy

I voted MAGNOLIA, although I haven't seen HARD EIGHT or PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE yet so its not exactly a fair vote.

Its a hard choice between BOOGIE NIGHTS and MAGNOLIA, but I just connect so emotionally with MAGNOLIA.  I swear I cry every time Earl Partrige gives his death bed speech.

"The goddamn regrets!"
"I saved Latin.  What did you ever do?"

chainsmoking insomniac

Hard Eight! *as he runs out into a barrage of machine-gun fire*

All of his films are fantastic, but I just like the relationship between Sydney and John; maybe it appealed to me for more personal reasons then I'd care to share in public; Boogie Nights and Magnolia I like equally (just as I have a hard time deciding whether to rewatch a Scorsese or Altman flick, I have a tough time deciding whether to watch BN or Magnolia); and Punch Drunk Love is just hysterical.
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

pixelnixel

I like the apartment corridor scene, the proxemics made me feel strange and panicky.  
I appreciated the realism and the "magic time" of the silent sunrise.
Patience builds the mind of man.  
Maintain balance while you plan.

brockly

Boogie Nights!
No matter how many times I watch it, I just don't get tired of it. That is a rare quality.

aclockworkjj

Couch....duh!!!!

Haha, I got a kick out of re-reading this resurrection...good find Cine!

brockly

i think pdl might be my new fav

travisbickle1000

my story of PT movies is pretty standard, i loved boogie nights when i first saw it in 6th grade, but needless to say it was a little too much for a 12 year old, the end kinda disturbed me. Later in my life, i rented magnolia on DVD, like everyone, i was initially hooked from its amazing first 10 or 15 minutes. but i think like a lot of people i hated it at first, but was mysteriously drawn towards seeing it again. when it was on cable a few months later, i turned to it, and couldnt stop watching it. i found myself crying in one of my favorite scens of all time, when T.J. Mackey finally confronts his father. i found myself falling in love with each and every character, and appreciating its unique symbolism. Magnolia is now not only my favorite PT film, but it is my favorite film of all time. There's something special about a filmmaker like PT. Those who are equally as talented at writing as they are at directing are few and far between. I always get the feeling when watching a PT film that i am seeing the exact materialization of a man with a vision. Forgive me for saying this, but even though i love all the Kurosawas, Scorses, and Coppolas, I dont think they are quite as talented as PT.