SXSW so far...

Started by RegularKarate, March 10, 2003, 04:28:54 PM

RegularKarate

So I'm volunteering at SXSW here in Austin this month and the major perk of this is a platinum badge that gets me into basically anything I want (festival related that is, still have to pay for the hookers and beer).

The unfortunate thing is that I'm working during most of the festival so I have to pick my screening choices very carefully.  This weekend I was able to see Assasination Tango with Robert Duval hosting and Bubba Ho-Tep hosted by Don Coscarelli.

Assasination Tango was great, directed by and Staring Robert Duval.  I don't think it was as good as the Apostle, but it was good for basically the same reason which is that Duval is one of the greatest actors alive and can bring life to just about any role.  My main complaint with this film (asside from a kind of weak pacing towards the end) would be in his co-star, whose acting was often improvised and rather poorly.  There are definately some bland scenes in this movie, but it's certainly worth seeing.

Now Bubba Ho-Tep... I don't know how many people have seen this, it's built quite a cult following with only one print alive (soon to have a shiny new fourth reel courtesy South By SouthWest).  Anyway, This film is exactly what I went to see, that's all I can really say... When you hear Bruce Campbel is going to play Elvis in a retirement home in Texas along-side Ossie Davis as J.F.K. fighting a mummy you set certain expectations, and they were basically met.

MacGuffin

Quote from: RegularKarateMy main complaint with this film (asside from a kind of weak pacing towards the end) would be in his co-star, whose acting was often improvised and rather poorly.

That's Duvall's girlfriend.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: RegularKarateMy main complaint with this film (asside from a kind of weak pacing towards the end) would be in his co-star, whose acting was often improvised and rather poorly.

That's Duvall's girlfriend.
Yeah... she was there too(someone said they were engaged, another said married but I don't know).

snaporaz

i heard that people with sxsw badges are just a bunch of brown-nosing groupie fags.

that's just what i heard.  :lol:

Xixax

Quote from: RegularKarateNow Bubba Ho-Tep... I don't know how many people have seen this, it's built quite a cult following with only one print alive (soon to have a shiny new fourth reel courtesy South By SouthWest).  Anyway, This film is exactly what I went to see, that's all I can really say... When you hear Bruce Campbel is going to play Elvis in a retirement home in Texas along-side Ossie Davis as J.F.K. fighting a mummy you set certain expectations, and they were basically met.

Man, this is ULTRA SWEET!

I've always LOVED Coscarelli's Phantasm series (never got into the Beastmaster stuff tho)... I can't wait to see this one!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Sleuth

Tell us about Melvin Goes To Dinner...I think that's what it's called
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

Quote from: tremoloslothTell us about Melvin Goes To Dinner...I think that's what it's called

Yeah... showed last night... had to work.  I really wanted to see it... some other guys I work with saw it though and I'll report in on what they thought later maybe.

What I was really looking forward to was the new Christopher Guest flick, but it's a No-volunteer screening.   Sucks.

As far as brown nosers go... there are some, yeah, but most of the ones I've met are pretty cool.  The type of people you can just strike up a conversation with in line because unlike the lines at the multi-plex, most of these people really care about film.

Sleuth

Did you go last year, and did Martin&Orloff screen there?
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

Quote from: tremoloslothDid you go last year, and did Martin&Orloff screen there?

I was in L.A. for the film part of last year's fest so I missed it.  Just came back in time for the tail end of the music.

RegularKarate

Okay, I'm bringing this thread back to life because I've just started this whole thing again and I'll be able to see a lot more movies this year.

Last Night:

Napoleon Dynamite:

Get used to this title because this one's blowing up.  A lot of people are calling it this year's Bottle Rocket.  I enjoyed it, but it doesn't deserve that label.  There's not enough meat to this movie to make it as good as the films it's being compared to.

It's very quirky and in parts very hilarious.  Also racist in parts (though it's hard to tell if the film was trying to laugh at it's stereotypes or with them).  It's a clean movie.  According to one of the filmmakers I was standing in line with (not a maker of this film, a maker of another film at the festival), it was made by a bunch of mormons.

Overall, the film was good and I enjoyed it, but the buzz makes me afraid that this is going to end up being overrated.

SuperSize Me:

This is another one that's getting a lot of buzz.  A lot of people are talking about this in the media because McDonalds is getting rid of thier supersize option (though they claim it has nothing to do with the film).  This film is both funny and interesting.  It's also kind of scary and gross.  They effects of eating nothing but McDonalds for every meal for a month blew three different doctor's minds.  

I hope this gets at least some kind of distribution because it's a great film.  My only complaint was that the filmmaker dedicated too much screen time to his vegan-chef girlfriend who was annoying and offered almost nothing to the film.

Some Shorts:

SXSW shorts are known for being some of the better shorts out there (A lot audience members commented that the Sundance shorts always suck).  It's hard to catch shorts, so I'll keep the highlights brief:

Milton is a shitbag: Very quick animated short about a cat. Funny

Day 37:  Short about two astronauts (looks like on another planet).  The entire thing is just one of the astronauts talking about his shit.  It's pretty funny.

I am Stamos: Best one there.  Brilliant.  Has John Stamos and he cusses an has an axe.  It's fantastic.  I won't ruin it.  If you can catch it, you should.

SoNowThen

Quote from: RegularKarate
Now Bubba Ho-Tep... I don't know how many people have seen this, it's built quite a cult following with only one print alive (soon to have a shiny new fourth reel courtesy South By SouthWest).  Anyway, This film is exactly what I went to see, that's all I can really say... When you hear Bruce Campbel is going to play Elvis in a retirement home in Texas along-side Ossie Davis as J.F.K. fighting a mummy you set certain expectations, and they were basically met.

This comes to my city soon. So I take it you're recommending it?! I was pretty stoked to see it...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

RegularKarate

Yes, SNT, go see Ho-Tep

Yesterday was pretty sparce:

Undead:

Well, I just have to say if you're into shit like Dead Alive/ BrainDead, you should see this movie.  There's basically a John Woo farmer killing a shit load of zombies.  There are a LOT of effects shot for the low budget and while they're certainly cheesy, they're well done for the money.

This is an Austrailian flick, made by Twins.  I'm sure this isn't new to a lot of people, but it's the first time it's been shown theatrically in this state.

Hellboy:

World premiere.  Guillermo Del Toro was there, Ron Perlman was there, Mike Mignola was there.  There was a Q&A and other fun stuff.  I don't remember the movie that well.  I think I liked it?

edit: Also, the more I think about Napolean Dynamite, the more I think it was really fucking hilarious.

monodynamic

Supersize me was great!

Say I Do, which was co-produced by Linklater's wife, was a very cool film.

SLASHER, eeh.... get some laughs...

I was impressed with the quality of the shorts shown, all mostly with big budgets.

Alexandra's Project, another mediocre SxSw film.

Fallen Angels, again, another mediocre canadian SxSw film.

RegularKarate

I really liked Slasher.  I met Landis afterward, he's a cool guy.

Some of the shorts WERE really good.  The midnight shorts were my favorite.

Mono, did you see the animated shorts?  Most were a little boring, but there was one that was animated to a Robert Frost poem about Pan, effing brilliant short, that.  Very unique.

monodynamic

unfortunately with my busy schedule during spring break, i missed the animated shorts. I really wanted to see Milton is a Shitbag though, and now this one you mention.

Perhaps the short I missed the most was I Am Stamos... Oh well, I suppose there will be another time.

I was very pleased with this year SxSw film festival. Only my second, but it was much better than the quality i have seen at the Austin Film Festival or Cinematexas.

Fortunately, until next year, these festivals will hold me over, along with some UT film showcases.
here's to living in austin.