Top 10 UNDERRATED movies EVER!

Started by GodDamnImDaMan, September 03, 2003, 02:56:39 AM

mutinyco

And after I was done with the old broad I wrote XIXAX on Brittney's ass...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Banky

Quote from: mutinycoAnd after I was done with the old broad I wrote XIXAX on Brittney's ass...

really?  I could have sworn that was somebody else.

mutinyco

People sometimes mistake me for Colin Farrell...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Something Spanish

Mutinyco, you are one sexy bastard.

ono

Quote from: Banky
Quote from: BankyCruel Intentions.  

I thought this movie was great and wasnt apprecited b/c everyone considered it a teen movie.

any comments or am i alone on this one ?
I don't know about anyone else, but I fully agree that Cruel Intentions is a great, wholly underrated film.  It's much more entertaining than the snoozefest based on the same material, Dangerous Liaisons.

Banky

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: Banky
Quote from: BankyCruel Intentions.  

I thought this movie was great and wasnt apprecited b/c everyone considered it a teen movie.

any comments or am i alone on this one ?
I don't know about anyone else, but I fully agree that Cruel Intentions is a great, wholly underrated film.  It's much more entertaining than the snoozefest based on the same material, Dangerous Liaisons.

exactly

MacGuffin

Then I'll defend "Dangerous Liaisons".

It is more cutthroat and witty, and is one of Glenn Close's best performances, along with Malkovich's. The dialogue is simply perfect.

You want snoozefest, go watch "Valmont".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

Bram Stoker's Dracula....(it still holds up even though whoa! is in there)

any given Sunday...

Clear and present danger.....(great political thriller.)

Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf starring Michael J. Fox.... if lovin' this movie is wrong, I don't wanna be right!

Banky

I think one of the most Under Appreciated movies of all time is easily Vanilla Sky.  This movie is the most complex, dynamic, and may i saw beautiful movies ever made.  Every single performance is on point, to say the least.  The care and effort Crowe put into this movie is unlike anything ive ever seen.  Every shot, word, look, noise, prop, location, has a well thought out purpose.  I think it is one of Tom Cruies's best performances and easily Cameron Diaz and Penelope Cruz's best.  Maybe its just me but this movie gets me somewhere very few films come close to.  The score by Nacy Wilson is amazing and fits so well.  The elevator scene, to me, is some of the best cinema in the last 15 years.  The way that it explains itself yet for the unsatisified gives more than enough clues to draw your own conclusion is brilliant.  This movie didnt really connect with me until the second viewing and thats the reason i think it might be dismissed.  I was upset at the lack of Academy attention it got.  Once again, Maybe Im alone on this one.

Any thoughts?

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pas

Quote from: eward
Quote from: MrBurgerKingStranger Than Paradise.. There's an underrated flick. I guess it's respected here, but I'd say its one of the very best of the 1980's.

I agree 100%.  it's a terrific film.

Yes, I said Down By Law but it might as well have been Stranger Than Paradise. Jarmusch is underrated in all he does, point.

NEON MERCURY

..the doors is underrated
dogma is ..
and blade 2 also
along with first elm street..
can't forget solaris (soderbergh)
got to mention sleepers..
and just remebered to include face off

ono

Quote from: BankyI think one of the most Under Appreciated movies of all time is easily Vanilla Sky.  This movie is the most complex, dynamic, and may i saw beautiful movies ever made.  Every single performance is on point, to say the least.  The care and effort Crowe put into this movie is unlike anything ive ever seen.  Every shot, word, look, noise, prop, location, has a well thought out purpose.  I think it is one of Tom Cruies's best performances and easily Cameron Diaz and Penelope Cruz's best.  Maybe its just me but this movie gets me somewhere very few films come close to.  The score by Nacy Wilson is amazing and fits so well.  The elevator scene, to me, is some of the best cinema in the last 15 years.  The way that it explains itself yet for the unsatisified gives more than enough clues to draw your own conclusion is brilliant.  This movie didnt really connect with me until the second viewing and thats the reason i think it might be dismissed.  I was upset at the lack of Academy attention it got.  Once again, Maybe Im alone on this one.

Any thoughts?
Seeing Abre los ojos may change your mind about this.  This is one of the reasons why I'm not too impressed with Cameron Crowe at all.  It was bad enough he had to take a decent film and remake it, but to pretty it up for "stupid Americans," simultaneously watering it down and not adding anything to it that the first film didn't address just makes it all even more disappointing.

I wanted to love Vanilla Sky.  It was my most anticipated film of 2001, looking back at it now.  It had such a promising premise, and a kick-ass trailer and tagline.  But once you realize Crowe doesn't mean to live up to the promises made in the trailer because he's only interested in a remake (with a few impressive shots and a cool "theme" song), all that possibility goes down the drain.  There's other threads floating around here where I talked about Crowe, I'm sure.  But that's my take on Vanilla Sky in a nutshell.  I realize there wasn't anything specific there, but I'm tired and have class tomorrow, so, later maybe.

modage

i saw Abre Los Ojos, and thought Vanilla Sky improved everything that could be improved upon to make a better film.  ALO was a great idea, an okay movie.   Crowe took those ideas and made them into a better film.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.