So Far This Year Volume 7

Started by picolas, June 26, 2009, 10:41:28 PM

picolas

1 UP

simultaneously the funniest and most 'adult' pixar movie yet. pure imagination. (i still think wall•e is the best if anyone's asking/must compare, but i feel like UP is its own thing.)

2 Two Lovers

everyone is great in this, and jaoq gives maybe his best performance ever. this movie could've gotten preachy at any moment but instead it stands back and lets everyone do their thing, letting the audience decide what's up.

3 Star Trek

bright, shiny, colourful excitement. a tad cliched but entertaining as heck.

4 Drag Me To Hell

i thought this would suck and rottentomatoes made me want to go see it in theatres. i'm glad i did because i don't think it'll be near as good on dvd. it's just a fun juggling act of horror movie gimmickry with some self-aware goofiness thrown in. i predicted the final twist but that's okay. it made me jump and laugh.

5 Nothing But the Truth

(counting as 09 cause there was really no way to see it until recently)
the script isn't perfect, the soundtrack is poorly chosen, and it gets emotional when staying neutral would be far more interesting, but a shitload of great performances and a wonderfully paradoxical issue at its core make it very difficult to stop watching.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

samsong

great:
35 shots of rum
a serious man
the sun
up
still walking
treeless mountain
tony manero
tulpan

good:
bright star
in the loop
summer hours
the bad lieutenant: port of calls new orleans
tokyo sonata
cloudy with a chance of meatballs
extract
public enemies
la danse: the paris opera ballet
the box
moon
two lovers

JG

great

treeless mountain
up
tulpan
two lovers
tetro
35 shots of rum
a serious man
district 9

pretty good

in the loop
the informant!/the girlfriend experience
summer hours

Kal

Up
Moon
Whatever Works
Tetro
The Hangover

modage

Up
Watchmen | Anvil! The Story of Anvil | The Hurt Locker | Il Divo | Star Trek
Coraline | Moon | I Love You, Man | Drag Me To Hell | The Hangover | Gomorrah
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Adventureland, Away We Go, The Girlfriend Experience and Tyson.

I haven't seen anything.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

The only movie I've been nuts about is Star Trek. And Know1ng. I sound like I have terrible taste. I just didn't really LOVE Up and Food Inc was ok. Drag Me to Hell was fun, so was Land of the Lost, but nothing beyond that. Watchmen was flawed but good. Maybe that'd end up somewhere.

My list of what I haven't seen sounds really good, though:

Moon, The Brothers Bloom, Away We Go, The Hurt Locker, Anvil, Coraline
WWPTAD?

Pozer

Quote from: Stefen on July 01, 2009, 02:34:43 PM
Adventureland, Away We Go, The Girlfriend Experience and Tyson.

I haven't seen anything.

so far movies ain't that great right now anyways. let's see your albums (so far).

pete

man, people liked Moon here but nobody's talking about it on the real Moon thread.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Kal

Updated...

Up
Moon
Whatever Works
Tetro
The Hangover
500 Days of Summer
Funny People

hedwig

Up. it made me cry with 3D glasses on.. so that's my favorite movie of the year (so far).

St. Nick. i saw it back in April at the sarasota film festival and couldn't find the words to properly review it. it's a stunningly beautiful film. i'll post a real review at some point.

Brüno. fuck the backlash.

those are the only movies this year that have made me swoon. still need to see Departures and Moon and everything on samsong's list.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

General consensus to which I contribute:

Up
Tetro
Funny People
Departures
Girlfriend Experience

So far being snubbed by the populace but now I'm standing up for:

Thirst
Taking Woodstock
Five Minutes of Heaven
World's Greatest Dad

And this stuff is (ranging from acceptable to entertaining, but not totally imperative):

It Might Get Loud
Whatever Works
The Hangover
Away We Go

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Neil

Moon, only work i bothered to see. 
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection