Extract

Started by MacGuffin, April 09, 2009, 12:38:18 AM

MacGuffin

Teaser Trailer

Release Date: September 4th, 2009 (limited)

Starring: Jason Bateman, Ben Affleck, Clifton Collins Jr, Mila Kunis, Kristen Wiig 

Directed by: Mike Judge 

Premise: A flower extract plant owner deals with workplace issues and a stream of bad luck, including his wife's affair with a gigolo.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

I haven't laughed out loud at a trailer since the first Pineapple Express preview. That pot smoking gag is so simple and obvious - and so perfectly executed!

Gamblour.

Haha! Agreed. I hope this one doesn't crap out of ideas after the first ten minutes, like Idiocracy. But this does look pretty damn funny, considering I haven't even heard of it.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Clifton Collins is one of those actors who always seems to be putting in A+ work but hardly ever getting credit for it.

This looks really funny.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

diggler

Quote from: Stefen on August 28, 2009, 08:14:36 PM
Clifton Collins is one of those actors who always seems to be putting in A+ work but hardly ever getting credit for it.

amen. ever since "i need you like i need an ass hole on my elbow" i knew he was one to watch.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

samsong

did anyone else see it this weekend?  for now, i'll just say i enjoyed it.

Ravi

I'm not sure what I think about this film.  It had a lot of funny moments, but they didn't quite add up to anything.

cinemanarchist

When it was first over I wasn't sure how much I liked it but then when I started discussing it that evening with another friend who had seen it, we started quoting lines and cracking each other up. I would imagine the next time I see it I will laugh even more, and so on and so on. Just your typical Mike Judge film that way. He might not hit home runs but he always has characters and settings that I find interesting...for some reason I have always wanted to have a movie that takes place at least partially at a shitty sports bar in a suburban Marriott, Judge beat me to it.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Ravi

Joe Adler in the film is surely a reference to lawyer Jim Adler, a.k.a. the Texas Hammer.

nix

I thoroughly enjoyed this. Bateman is a great leading man. He anchors the film even if it is kinda just an extension of his Arrested Development character. Affleck 's riffing was fantastic, I was finally reminded why I used to like him. It was like seeing him in the criterion chasing amy supplements. All around great casting from mila to the aspiring manho. One critic suggested it would play better as a series of funny or die shorts or something but I think the narrative is executed fine for a comedy.

The visuals were well above average for a movie like this, too. One perfectly placed, story inspired flourish comes to mind.

He's not reinventing the comedy wheel or anything, but it's a worthy addition to his filmography.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

pumba

Great first 2 acts. Last act chokes hard.

picolas

oh my god this was PITIFUL throughout. i nearly turned it off many times. only because of the cast did i make it to the end. Judge has officially lost his grasp on what constitutes hilarity. this is just unsympathetic idiots being idiotic. the recurring "gag" of the gigolo not understanding anything is painful. the only funny thing about this movie in theory is the casting of ben affleck, but the character still falls flat... just horrendous.

diggler

yea affleck was likeable but not as funny as his character should've been. he was almost too believable, as in that's exactly how a guy like that would be in real life. i was much more amused by his psychotic pot smoking buddy. i wanted to follow THAT guy's story. so many potentially great characters that never passed beyond their initial punchline (although David Koechner hopping the fence was great). also Gene Simmons has some decent comedic chops.  it's not a bad way to spend 90 minutes.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

©brad

Aww blast, I was semi-excited for this, mainly for Affleck's character. I like when he does roles like this. He's a total character actor in a leading man's body.