The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst - Documentary Miniseries

Started by wilder, March 13, 2015, 04:22:43 PM

wilder

Filmmaker Andrew Jarecki examines the complicated life of reclusive real estate scion, Robert Durst, the key suspect in a series of unsolved crimes.

Directed by Andrew Jarecki (Capturing the Friedmans)

Anyone else watching this?

Reel

Gonna start it ASAP as I'm now a proud HBOGO account holder and Capturing The Friedmans is beyond great.

This was in the news today:

Robert Durst arrested in New Orleans

Pedro

I upgraded to HBO today so that I could start watching this.  Capturing the Friedmans is one of my favorites. 

jenkins

and it's like wildly appropriate that the capturing the friedmans director made this, having read about robert durst today. that's quite a pickle of a life. butso the thing i wanna know is, who's gone back to watch the movie? never seen it, now is the time to get me to

reminder:
jarecki directed it, based on the durst story, ryan gosling is durst, the dp was michael seresin (birdy, foxes, etc)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1175709/

Alexandro

I remember seeing All Good Things and thinking and probably even commenting here that the story was just too weird for a feature and it would be better served as doc. Now both Durst and Jarecki grant my wish. The Jinx was riveting in the best possible way. And Durst is an infinitely more sympathetic and strangely interesting character than anything ryan gosling could have done.

I loved the way the whole thing is structured, from the basically biographic to the filmmaker's involvement taking central stage by the end.

One thing I did not like is how they stole the concept intro from True Detective...that was kind of lame. Everything else, incredible.

jenkins

Tictacbk

Yeah this was pretty amazing television by the end.  If you haven't read all the news about it yet, you should probably go watch it all.

Garam

Quote from: Alexandro on March 17, 2015, 12:41:54 AM
One thing I did not like is how they stole the concept intro from True Detective...that was kind of lame. Everything else, incredible.

that's HBO standard isn't it? Deadwood had that sort of opening a decade ago...

I watched the first 5 episodes in a row last night. It'd have to fuck up pretty badly in its final hour for it not to be my favourite true crime doc i've ever seen.

Durst's eyes look like bottomless pits.

Neil

Easily one of the best things i've ever seen. So captivated by this and what Jerecki was able to pull out of it.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Garam

I don't think i've ever felt so harrowed by an interview with a murderer before. I felt less creeped out by the talking head Nazi leaders in World at War.

You're seeing him in his element, he's still in the act really, you can see the thrill he gets from so casually accepting why people could accuse him of these things. "Sure! i can see why they'd think that, because [...tells the truth]". Seeing this guy get a buzz from skirting so close to the line of the truth after so much natural bullshit. He feels untouchable. Who can blame him after that Texas trial? He almost seems bored of his freedom and just wants to push it, like when he mills around the porch of his estranged brother's flat (that sequence is kind of hilarious in a really grisly, dark fashion btw. Sipping his Orange Julius. lol.)

Watching his body language fail to comply with his firm, unflappable denial when confronted with the envelope was just...one of the most fascinating things i've ever seen. He's never been in that vulnerable and tight a spot before, no lawyers, no spin, no rehearsal. His central nervous system can't deal with that lack of control.

Do you think he knew the mic was on in the bathroom? It'd happened once before, and he's a smart cookie. Could be a desperate attempt to sound crazy to try for an insanity plea in the future. Chilling as fuck regardless.

picolas

polkablues

Just finished this. Good god. I spent the entirety of the last episode purely in empathy for how freaked out Jarecki must have been going into that final interview. This is a man who has historically responded to being cornered by murdering people, so sitting next to him while you present him with ironclad evidence of his guilt has got to be bad for the blood pressure.

Oh, and fuck Texas forever. If that Galveston jury had been at Nuremberg, Josef Mengele would have ended up U.S. Surgeon General.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Garam