Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Captain of Industry

The url is most telling.  The Thin Red Line coming to dvd and blu-ray.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Oh God.

Thin Red Line... This more than makes up for them NOT releasing Fritz the Cat.  I've been putting off buying Thin Red Line for a while and I wasn't sure why.  Maybe this just felt inevitable.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

SiliasRuby

Really kickass. What I'm looking forward to is House (1977)-http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076162/
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Captain of Industry

Quote from: SiliasRuby on March 10, 2010, 05:48:47 PM
What I'm looking forward to is House (1977)-http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076162/

It's like if an Argento film was only kill scenes and giggly girls.  Awesome movie.

john

Hausu is at the Castro Theater 4/17.

I'm turning down Public Image Ltd. to watch it. Very excited.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

SiliasRuby

It's playing at the new beverly in LA this weekend.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Just saw it at the Gene Siskel Film Center a couple weeks ago.

It's a must buy when it drops on Criterion for me.

samsong

june releases.  fantastic.  (i've never heard of everlasting moments and haven't seen night train to munich)

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DVD SET

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
   * Audio commentary by Mehrnaz Saeed-Vafa and Jonathan Rosenbaum, authors of Abbas Kiarostami
   * The Traveler, a notable early feature by director Abbas Kiarostami
   * "Close-up" Long Shot, a forty-five-minute documentary on Close-up's central figure, Hossein Sabzian, five years after Kiarostami's film
   * New video interview with Kiarostami
   * A Walk with Kiarostami (2003), a thirty-two-minute documentary portrait of the director by Iranian film professor Jamsheed Akrami
   * New and improved English subtitle translation
   * PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Godfrey Cheshire

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DVD SET

* New high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Jan Troell
   * Jan Troell's Magic Mirror, an hour-long documentary about Troell's life and career
   * Short documentary on the making of Everlasting Moments, featuring interviews with Troell, cast,
     and crew
   * Documentary featuring photographs by the real Maria Larsson, accompanied by narration telling her story
   * Theatrical trailer
   * PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Armond White

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Jim Jarmusch (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
   * Two video Q&As with Jarmusch, one from the 2009 All Tomorrow's Parties festival in New York and one in which he responds to questions sent in by fans
   * Original documentary on Mystery Train's locations and Memphis's rich social and musical history
   * On-set photos by Masayoshi Sukita, and behind-the-scenes photos
   * New and improved English subtitle translation
   * PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by writers Peter Guralnick and Dennis Lim, as well as a collectible poster

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
   * Audio commentary by Italian film scholar David Forgacs
   * Archival video interviews with director Michelangelo Antonioni and actress Monica Vitti
   * Outtakes from the film's production
   * Original theatrical trailer
   * PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film historian Mark Le Fanu, an interview with Antonioni by Jean-Luc Godard, and a reprinted essay by Antonioni on his use of color
   * More!

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
   * New video conversation between film scholars Peter Evans and Bruce Babington about director Carol Reed, screenwriters Frank Launder and Sidney Gilliat, and the social and political climate
     in which Night Train to Munich was made
   * PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Philip Kemp

Gold Trumpet

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKK!

I have a top ten list of films I want to see on DVD. Michelangelo Antonioni's Red Desert only happens to be #1 now and has been for the last 4-5 years. And when I mean on DVD, I mean proper DVD because that out-of-print region 1 which cost over a hundred dollars to buy wasn't enough. The transfer even got poor reviews. Thank you Criterion for making my DVD life with this announcement. I was certain La Notte would be the next Antonioni and I would have been happy with that, but I'm on cloud nine now.

I'm also going to have to buy Everlasting Moments. It's new Jan Troell which I haven't seen but it's the formal introduction of Jan Troell nonetheless.

samsong

close-up and mystery train are among my favorite movies and i get chills thinking about how beautiful the leopard is going to look on blu-ray.  i've only seen red desert once at columbia.  it was the shit out-of-print dvd projected in an awkward lecture hall with terrible acoustics.  not an ideal setting, and i honestly don't remember the film at all save for monica vitti's gorgeous mug in color.  can't wait to see it again.  i'll probably be blind buying the carol reed movie.

i'd never even heard of jan troell before today.  hamsun and hurricane are all netflix has.  recommend either of them?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: samsong on March 15, 2010, 05:26:24 PM
i'd never even heard of jan troell before today.  hamsun and hurricane are all netflix has.  recommend either of them?

Hamsum is OK and never seen Hurricane, but the reason I drool over him is because of The Emigrants and The New Land. Haven't seen either of them, but they were the films that got Ingmar Bergman in the early 1970s to call him the best director working. They are epics on VHS but yearn for DVD and a beautiful presentation.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 15, 2010, 04:37:14 PM
I have a top ten list of films I want to see on DVD. Michelangelo Antonioni's Red Desert only happens to be #1 now and has been for the last 4-5 years.

No doubt.  "Red Desert" is the last Antonioni hold-out I haven't seen.  It's about time.

Sleepless

Getting Close-Up and blind-buying Night Train To Munich like Samsong  :bravo:
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

edison

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on March 15, 2010, 04:37:14 PM
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCKKK!

I have a top ten list of films I want to see on DVD. Michelangelo Antonioni's Red Desert only happens to be #1 now and has been for the last 4-5 years. And when I mean on DVD, I mean proper DVD because that out-of-print region 1 which cost over a hundred dollars to buy wasn't enough. The transfer even got poor reviews. Thank you Criterion for making my DVD life with this announcement. I was certain La Notte would be the next Antonioni and I would have been happy with that, but I'm on cloud nine now.

Hey, do you have a region-free player? I once had the Madman Red Desert and I though it was perfect. Sold it a few years back but will happily buy it again. Was just curious if you had been missing out these last 3 years since they released it.

Edit: Ah, I forgot about the BFI edition also.