Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: squints on August 10, 2010, 01:59:36 PM
yeah but what does that have to do with monkeys?

The movie is so shit that a thousand monkeys typing on a thousand typewriters for a thousand years couldn't come up with anything worse.
under the paving stones.

modage

Not sure if their quality is going down or what I expect from them is going up, but I'm pretty disappointed with their recent covers.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

The good thing is that it's been an amazing year for releases. A few years ago, I worried the well for Criterion dried up and they were done with putting their stamp on significant films of our film history. There were too many perennial classics that were never going to get the Criterion touch so it seemed like the company was making great DVDs for a significant number of unknown films to see if they could create their own classics for a new landscape. Now the company is back to going half and half with what we know and what we don't. It's a good relationship because the idea of seeing every Kubrick film get a release by Criterion is a great possibility. Two years ago, I would have considered it impossible, but now I think it will happen.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

They're getting a little too out there, but I think it's a bit early to say they're jumping the shark.  I don't mind the Anti-Christ or the boxset, but Modern Times really is a splinter in the eye.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

socketlevel

the more out there the better, don't you get sick of generic posters for films? i sure do. i admit the paths of glory one isn't the best, but i'm pretty happy with all the other choices.
the one last hit that spent you...

Gold Trumpet

Criterion has always been hit and miss with covers. I think we're getting used to the pedigree of talent of their best work and we are no longer accepting the usual muff. The Paths of Glory cover is horrendous and I really wish Criterion would edit it, but other than that, no cover moves me one way or another. People have been criticizing their use of stills in various forms for covers lately, but I think it makes sense because if you start putting avant garde design work for older movies of a different generation and time period, the new cover becomes out of date very quickly. You have to find interesting covers that honor what is in the film. Finding new ways to abstract stills from a movie is better than using original poster art (for the most part).

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

How did this lack of dilemma make it to headline status? 
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

Quote from: // w ø l r å s on August 29, 2010, 11:08:56 AM
How did this lack of dilemma make it to headline status? 

slow news week..
under the paving stones.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

modage

Have yourself a creepy little Christmas this December, when Criterion will release two modern horror classics: Guillermo del Toro's feature debut, Cronos, which offers a twist on the vampire myth—in Blu-ray and DVD editions featuring enticing extras, including Del Toro's unreleased 1987 short horror film, Geometria—and David Cronenberg's media-age sci-fi shocker Videodrome, on Blu-ray for the first time. Plus: the DVD edition of America Lost and Found hits the streets.

America Lost and Found: The BBS Story

Reinhold

maybe this belongs in a festival thread, but Criterion Commissioned posters (by comic book artists) for All Tomorrow's Parties:

http://criterioncast.com/2010/09/07/all-tomorrows-parties-poster-art-revealed/

my two favorites:

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

matt35mm

I think it belongs in this thread.  And that these are fantastic.  Yeah, The Killing one is my favorite.

Alexandro

the cronos cover is pretty shitty.