Let's Snazz This Place Up

Started by Reel, July 18, 2014, 04:53:50 PM

Reel

So, it's summer. There's no Inherent Vice trailer in sight and much better things to do than hang out on a message board. Still, this is my favorite place on the internet and it makes me sad to see it as lifeless as it's been recently. I talked to my trusty sidekick 03 about what we could possibly do to make it more interesting around here, and he made this suggestion:

Quote from: 03 on July 18, 2014, 02:57:33 AM
lets make a topic in xix and xax called 'lets spiff this place up' or some shit like that
and the basis will be throw some ideas out there for some crazy stuff we could do like somebody donate a dvd for a contest or live web conference during a synchronized viewing of a movie where we all comment and talk to each other during it, via webcam, you know. i think that's the way to go to revitalize my favorite message board that i am the most loyal to

those are some great ideas! I knew he was the guy to ask. I'm more partial to the second one because there are less logistics involved such as rules of the contest, what if someone has to ship the DVD out of the country, etc. I want to do something inclusive as possible that will get us talking...about anything. So, if we were to all watch a movie with live commentary, what would be the most fun to do? It should obviously be a bad movie, but something with a common thread that brings us all together...Ratner. Not just any Ratner movie, his worst one, After The Sunset.

Those are my two cents. any and all suggestions welcome, but were obviously more open to comments from the admins. If there's something else you think we could do, sound off.

R.I.P. How Did Xix Get Made, PodXAX, The Minority Awards...  :yabbse-thumbdown:

Jeremy Blackman

I have ideas, some more extreme than others. But yeah, I think major improvements/changes will be coming, although I wouldn't expect anything too dramatic during the summer.

I like the communal movie-watching ideas, although the webcam business sounds frightening and burdensome. Maybe something that allows people to chat from a device as they're watching. Could probably just set up a temporary chatroom on an external site, then save the transcript if we want.

Robyn

this makes me want to break out with my girfriend and hang out here 24/7 instead.

a chatroom sounds kind of boring compared to the webcam thing. just tell me when and how so I can get drunk before.  then I can cam with you guys anytime.

polkablues

I can already see where this is destined to end up; a bunch of dudes jerking off together on webcam while a Dardennes movie plays in the background.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Robyn

you say it like it's a bad thing.

more later

i think we could do the movie chat thing with skype conference kind of deal, don't you?
i dont think that would be that burdensome, i mean, if you dont wanna do it, don't. anyone that wants to join can be welcome. more later

squints

Quote from: polkablues on July 18, 2014, 06:17:14 PM
I can already see where this is destined to end up; a bunch of dudes jerking off together on webcam while a Dardennes movie plays in the background.

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reel

Ok, so let's pick a movie to watch. It should be an unintentionally bad movie, why waste this on something good? Maybe it'd be best if we pick one none of us have seen for the surprise factor. How do you feel about a Ratner or something 90's? After The Sunset is still my choice, but we should get a list together and weigh our options.

ride along
beetlejuice
ruthless people
caddyshack 2

Reel

What is wrong with Beetlejuice?!?!?!?

jenkins

it's fun right now to picture polka and squints, their computers and folders titled "belgian" and "vintage" and "lotsa wieners," and i'm sorry if that sounds odd but lemme explain, it's not only about the pics, not only about the topics, it's about intimacy and sounds, it's about squeaks and sighs and pleasures of the body and mind

i'd like to thank them for their creepy intro and for setting a strange mood. looking forward to the thingy

nothing is wrong with beetlejuice. we already discussed this: the list will be movies that will be fun to watch together. not strictly bad shit. for example, others i thought of since last post:

- grosse pointe blank
- mean girls
- house of 1000 corpses
- scream
- reindeer games (ok that one is bad)

also: i think we could turn a lot of these into communal xixax drinking games. like everytime someone talks to the camera, everytime you see the boom, every continuity error, could make universal rules, and then individual ones on top for the movie itself.
also: jenkins, dont just be cryptic, contribute my friend! you obviously love this place so put in your two pence you old snapdragon.

MacGuffin

Crash - the not Cronenberg one
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

ok well lets get this shit going whats the hold up