Phantom Thread - Critic's Reviews

Started by wilberfan, December 01, 2017, 06:55:26 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Alethia

Fitzroy

Phantom Thread reviewed by Mark Kermode for BBC Radio 5 Live.

wilberfan

Quote from: Mogambo on February 03, 2018, 11:56:29 AM
Are you Jeremy Blackman, the guy who played Stanley in Magnolia, or is that just a username you chose? Was going through the cast list and the name sounded familiar.

(If so, he would have been 16 when he first registered on this site.  Certainly possible...  Would he have used his real name?  Also possible...if perhaps a tad unlikely?)

Jeremy Blackman

I'm not the real one. I'm pretty sure.

Robyn

I'm sad you aren't the real one. I'm also sad that I'm not the real Karl-Jan. :(

wilberfan

ono

Her name is Jeva.  Fucking millennials!  (heh)  Something, something lack of life experience.  But I've known kids fresh outta college younger than her who grok it.  The polarization is to be expected.  It's almost in vogue to fall in with those who would give it a less than favorable review.  It's not about the fashion, or whether a dress is "beautiful" or not.  That is subjective, but there has to be suspension of disbelief anyway.  Like a dress, this movie is so well made, and I think that's what I take away from all of PTA's work.  The craftsmanship.

BB

Craftsmanship at the very least! If you're a film critic and you can't see (and hear) that PTA's films are impeccably well made, I don't know what to tell you. These people got out of bed to start hating, damn.

Not to make the obvious comparison, but it's like those rare critics who don't like Kubrick or think he peaked with Paths of Glory or whatever. I'm always stunned that they can't see the phenomenal technique and appreciate the movies on that basis alone.

©brad

She admits several times that the film poses ideas that are substantive and interesting, but she's frustrated that they aren't tied in a neat Spielbergian bow?

Jeremy Blackman

Click on Jeva's byline. She's not even a film critic. Mostly a political reporter. Guess we can't afford film critics anymore.

Fitzroy

The film is great. The film is always great. It's not because Paul Thomas Anderson is adored by the critics that the film is great. The film is great because it is great. Because it's beautiful. Maybe one day you will change your taste Jeva.

modage

One other factor that must be considered (if you're a long-time Xixaxer) is that PTA is the establishment now! So some young film Geeks will push back against him because he's not the young upstart who just kicked in the door with Boogie Nights. He's the filmmaker 20+ years into his career making interesting mature films that usually play better for auds more familiar with his work than newbies.

Scorsese making Age Of Innocence.
Altman making Vincent & Theo.
Demme making Beloved.
Kubrick making Barry Lyndon.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong. Just that we should brace for it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

Ohmygod guys, not only does she like "get" all this Freud stuff ("A dead mother's locks sewn into Reynold's coat? Please.") but she finds it like totally, annoyingly overabundant! I hate my generation (though she might be a bit younger than me) and I hate that the internet makes it so easy for me to rile myself up. "Can we all stop pretending Phantom Thread is a masterpiece?" Yeah, as soon as she stops pretending she's a writer. Love how everyone else MUST be pretending simply because she fails to grasp it. She even says, "Not to kinkshame, but if your partner poisons you, it's a crime." What a hero!  :doh: All the films she name-drops too - the obvious ones everyone is mentioning like Rebecca, Vertigo, but also Rivette's La Belle Noiseuse, for instance - anyone else have a teeny tiny suspicion that she maybe hasn't actually seen them? Perhaps I'm becoming an old crank....

wilberfan