There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

Started by depooter, March 27, 2005, 02:24:56 PM

md

Quote from: RegularKarate on December 12, 2007, 12:59:04 PM

Also, MD's post should probably just be completely deleted from this thread.

ahh, your best bet was to probably just ignore it...but then again I've been with this film from the start, so let me finish it.  I was waiting for someone to say "oh well you didn't see the same movie I did..." because you are completely right with your regularity.  You're holding on too tight.  You make it sound like a DDL movie directed by PT is a bad thing.  And yet, arguably, this is probably the best film he has made to date.  Let me tell you why I saw a different movie than you did.  I'm adopted.  Are you? Clearly the film sparked my interest and let me be the first adopted member on the board to say that PTA nailed it.  DDL nailed it.  I haven't been that scared, in love and that moved by a character in a long long time.  And to compliment an actor is an obvious compliment to a director.  I think PTA would want it that way.  HIYAAAAA
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

RegularKarate

Quote from: md on December 12, 2007, 01:16:38 PM

ahh, your best bet was to probably just ignore it...but then again I've been with this film from the start. 

I mean spoilerwise... it's in the wrong thread... I don't care that you're wrong about it being a DDL movie and not PTA

©brad

Quote from: md on December 12, 2007, 01:16:38 PM

ahh, your best bet was to probably just ignore it...but then again I've been with this film from the start. 

your best bet would've been to post your review in the thread we specifically created for cwbb spoilerful discussion, jackass.

idk

Quote from: ©MBBrad on December 12, 2007, 09:49:21 AM
to those who haven't seen it yet, get ready for the ride of your cinephile life to date. and don't worry about expectations or hype or all the glowing reviews or the spoilers you accidentally stumbled upon or watching the trailer ad nauseum. this movie takes all your preconceived notions and gleefully tears them to shreds. nothing can prepare you for what you're about to experience. when it's over, you'll stumble outside in a post-cinegasm stupor trying to remember what your first name is. 

this is probly the best stuff i could have heard

md

"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Sleepless

Mmm... I'm craving vodka and steak now. Cannot wait to see this movie.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

noyes

what's this?
why don't i own this?
why don't i own this?

Director Paul Thomas Anderson, special guest / Dr. Annette Insdorf, moderator

Guest: Daniel Day-Lewis

Special Guest: Paul Thomas Anderson

Film: There Will Be Blood (preview, 2007, dir. Paul Thomas Anderson)

Date & Time: Wed, Dec 12, 2007, 7:15pm
   Venue: Kaufmann Concert Hall Seating Chart
   Code: T-LC5FL04-01
   Price: $35.00 All Sections

(edit: hopefully some of it will be posted here: http://www.youtube.com/user/92ndStreetY
35 bucks is ridiculous though. that's 3 viewings once December 26th rows around.)
south america's my name.

Astrostic

I was sitting in the row with the Rysher guy. His question reminded me of a guy that asked a question at the INLAND EMPIRE screening at the NYFF last year who bullshitted his way through a history of what lynch has been trying to do with the lighting in his films throughout his career, which led to his question asking how lynch animated the weird light in the Demonic Rabbits scene,  Lynch said "it's a ball of flames" and that was it for the Q&A.
I disagree with anyone that says this film can't be ruined by spoilers and watching the trailer, because I had a mental checklist while watching the film, noting which parts of the trailer had played, and which ones hadn't played yet, and during the scenes that were from the trailer, I was quoting them in my head as they were being delivered. I think that will go away the next time I see it.  Also, I was expecting the quiet opening and a great, bizarre ending, so the opening wasn't as profound as it should have been for me, and when the title card for the last time period came up, I upped my quality expectancy for the rest of the film, while also being let down that there wasn't more that led up to that point.  Again, I think this will go away the next time I see it, as the good parts, expected or not, were the best parts of any film I've seen this year.  I thought the fire scene was as enthralling as the first time I saw the frogs, and some of DDL's encounters with other characters that I don't want to ruin are really really amazing.
I was disappointed with Paul Dano after all of the talk that he stayed toe-to-toe with DDL.  He didn't even come close, and the things that I was worried about based on his performance in little miss sunshine are the same things that bothered me in this film.  I don't think he handles dramatic scenes very well, it just feels like he screams when he wants to be taken seriously (though his voice was really well done and frightened me in the first church scene). 
I worry that Anderson might have tried too hard to channel Kubrick in the last scenes, as I was simultaneously sensing 2001, Eyes Wide Shut, Clockwork Orange, and Shining.  I thought it was very good, and I don't mind the influence, but i think the same people that like to note the director that PTA rips off in every single film will label this as his Kubrick film. 

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

Stefen

I'm not surprised to hear that CMBB has the signature PTA comedic moments we've all come to love. For making such serious films, his movies sure are funny. If edited correctly, you could make a hilarious comedy out of Boogie Nights. And the whole spontaneous friction but in Sydney? HILARIOUS. I'm confident the comedic parts in CMBB won't be out of left field like DDL slipping on a banana peel.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

maya kash

Quote from: Sleepless on December 12, 2007, 02:31:19 PM
Mmm... I'm craving vodka and steak now. Cannot wait to see this movie.

How long until the fan boy dooshies at cig and red vines rename their site vodka and steaks?

Showed up late to nyc screening and saw the last half which I missed in l.a.

It was alright.  Better than most films I've seen this year.  Most of us are just starved for good work and this will suffice for now I suppose.  He'll get better as he ages.  I think we are seeing that.  Let's just not get too excited, ya know.  Although stinky pink fan boys are cute when they get all fired up.
"Money is the blood of the planet.  Heal the money and we can heal the world."

"Put your mouth where my money is."

bonanzataz

Quote from: maya kash on December 13, 2007, 12:55:36 AM
Although stinky pink fan boys are cute when they get all fired up.

i'll show you a stinky pink, bay-bee.

i mean...

shit.

damn girl, when was the last time you bathed?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Satcho9

No Golden Globe nomination for screenplay or director? Can we all chalk this up to the title font?

noyes

Quote from: ©MBBrad on December 13, 2007, 09:01:20 AM
100%

it will go down eventually,
but i've seen it go from 7 reviews, 10 reviews, 12 reviews, and now 13 and it's still at 100%.
that makes me feel real fucking good.
south america's my name.