shin godzilla

Started by cronopio2, March 23, 2021, 09:57:04 PM

cronopio2

this is the best film i've seen in a while, and if someone asks me what my favorite film is right now, this is the answer i give.

i saw it in last year's may , and i still think it's the most covid-19 film i've seen so far.

so many things stand out, but just the way the whole story works as a public administration fairytale, it's so chef's kiss.

v curious to see what you guys think.

WorldForgot

Veryy fun movie ^_^

Saw this the day it dropped at Manhattan's Village East Cinema.
Consistently makes for a fun group watch. Esp w/ friends that haven't gotten into anime yet.

How cute is that first stage of crawling 'Zilla? I want that bug-eyed boy as a plushie. Plus, Miss Kayoco Anne Patterson. What's great is that it's a Red-Tape comedy instead of Red-Tape drama.
And well, you should really watch everything Hideaki Anno has touched.

Axolotl

Posting for posterity a bit of convo me and WF (who's a lot more articulate about the movie than i am) had in the shoutbox:

QuoteAxolotl [28|Mar 02:32 AM]:   Shin Godzilla was pretty good. WF what do you think about the rather overbearing nationalist elements?
Axolotl [28|Mar 02:33 AM]:   But probably the coolest use of lasers I've seen in a live action movie ever
WorldForgot [28|Mar 03:24 AM]:   Well from the Godzilla filmz I've seen it's either nationalist bureaucracy or apolitical slugfest, sometimes these include a "Defense" force (sometimez these suits are cool! lol) but theres in either always military.
WorldForgot [28|Mar 03:24 AM]:   This one definitely seems to make a mockery of infrastructure right?
WorldForgot [28|Mar 03:25 AM]:   They triumph but the mechanics of the bureaucracy and Japan / US tension (leverage?) are only in the way?
Axolotl [28|Mar 03:30 AM]:   I read it as a mockery of how japan's defensive abilities have been hamstrung by Western imposed hoops they must navigate
Axolotl [28|Mar 03:32 AM]:   I can see how americans can see it as a justifiable lampooning of US imperial overreach that has way outlasted its usefulness. But was sort of uncomfortable knowing the type of people that celebrate cutting down bureaucracy and to whose ultimate benefit it ends up being.
Axolotl [28|Mar 03:34 AM]:   But it's very likely i don't have enough context of how kaiju movies have operated
Axolotl [28|Mar 03:39 AM]:   The movements and effects on Godzilla are really next level and just from a visual perspective it's one of the best monster movies I've seen. But the second people start to talk about its subtext it gives me pause
WorldForgot [28|Mar 03:54 AM]:   Hmm yeah, it has more mechanics than subtext. And I do see that imbalance of defensive abilities -- along with the caveat that's interesting too (among all the "info") the proximity of their borders
WorldForgot [28|Mar 03:55 AM]:   Outside of cable Godzilla marathons and the original Kong v Godzilla I haven't seen much Kaiju. I've gotta see Sono's Love & Peace still

WorldForgot