Kajillionaire

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 25, 2020, 02:29:53 PM

Jeremy Blackman

The trailer is super spoilery. I would avoid. Instead, just know that this is a Miranda July film and that you should watch it.

I absolutely loved this. Strong contender for best of 2020 for me. Ignore the marketing stuff about there being a "heist" or whatever. This is basically an off-kilter character study. Very funny and hits really hard unexpectedly in a number of scenes.

Evan Rachel Wood has never played a character like this before (nor will she again). Richard Jenkins is also great of course.

I haven't seen all of Mirandy July's movies, but this seems to be on the accessible end of things for her. Definitely some Greta Gerwig influences I think.

Robyn

I liked this too!

Her "quirkiness" probably looks annoying and gimmicky to some, but this film is surprisingly emotional and heartfelt.

Evan Rachel Wood is also amazing.

Jeremy Blackman

Yeah, this is the real deal.

"Quirky" is a tricky thing to say. Google tells me it's a word probably applied to a majority of my favorite movies. But nah. To me, "quirky" implies frivolity or a shallow affectation. That's really the opposite of what this movie is doing or what Greta Gerwig does. "Off-kilter" or "heightened" are more applicable.