Da 5 Bloods

Started by WorldForgot, June 24, 2020, 11:00:35 AM

WorldForgot

Four African American veterans return to Vietnam decades after the war to find their squad leader's remains — and a stash of buried gold. A SPIKE LEE JOINT

a 40 acres and a mule filmworks production - YA' DIG, SHO NUFF

Have got a really soft spot in my heart for Spike Lee and his family, the filmz will speak for generations and Satchell and Jackson doing big work for my generationz creatives. This film iz about the buried treasure that generationz sprout - multiplying, surviving, growing - and the collateral of orbits we face when reckoning with our past. Where we are in DA PRESENT cuz the past never leavez us.

Well worth its runtime and a substantial script for the entire production to dig into, Spike's direction of long takes with the ensemble here especially has its melody.

Gosh, y'all, it's no surprise that this film iz dense - but especially in the way it communicates with history it's got that Spike Lee finesse that's elegant and pure-cinema. Check it out, sound off below if ya feel ~

wilberfan

Ooof.   Bombastic, preachy...the dialogue had me wincing almost the entire 40 minutes before I had to bail.  This from the man who made Malcolm X--one of my all time favorites. 

KhĂ´ng tốt.

WorldForgot

Dang, slime! You don't mess with Inherent Vice, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and you dipped outta this before the first act even turned into the second. Iz it about the era, wilberfan?

Personally, this script seems right in line with Chi-Raq and Blackkklansman. If this iz preachin' I wish I coulda gone to a cinema hall to hear it ~

wilberfan

[That was certainly my era (came within a pube of getting drafted in '72--had a lottery number of "66" and was classified 1-H!), but I don't think that has anything to do with my disappointment with those films.   I just couldn't believe how awful this was.  I don't go into these films with a chip on my shoulder.  If anything, I'm waiting with open arms.  It only makes the disappointment greater!   I need to practice lowering my expectations.

jenkins

don't lower your expectations, raise your perspective

WorldForgot

For me, I can feel that I prefer stark personalities - or 'bombastic' filmmaking. Noe, Araki, Every Giallo Evah, however that goes there are many directors that don't usually turn their volume down. Cinema with force? But I love Iwai, and his movies are both quiet and forceful? Dunno

So, although I've not seen Malcolm X or Bamboozled, yet, excited to, it seemz that Spike's alwayz been in full contact communication with history and energized filmmaking (Do the Right Thing drawn in such bold linez). And that since Da Sweet Blood of Jesus his genre-filmmaking inspiration has elevated his films' social concern. Essayz that sing.

jenkins

thought it was big and gorgeous

polkablues

Quote from: WorldForgot on June 25, 2020, 11:49:32 AM
So, although I've not seen Malcolm X or Bamboozled, yet, excited to, it seemz that Spike's alwayz been in full contact communication with history and energized filmmaking

Yep, you definitely need to watch Bamboozled. It's both his funniest film and his angriest (even angrier than DtRT, I'd say).
My house, my rules, my coffee