Quarantine Filmz

Started by WorldForgot, March 20, 2020, 11:00:21 AM

jenkins

Quote"One anonymous source described it as PTA's personal bildungsroman, a long-awaited return to entertaining mainstream commercial cinema, 'It's like, imagine a cross between The Last American Virgin and Truffaut's Day for Night'"

putneyswipe shared that in the Soggy Bottom thread. I simply searched to see if the movie was talked about here, in other words I did not watch it because I heard about it this way, which is what happened between me and Live and Let Die

The Last American Virgin is a favorite kind of thing of mine: a person from another country making a Hollywood movie. written/directed by Boaz Davidson from Tel Aviv, Palestine (that's what it says), a remake of his own movie, Lemon Popsicle. from period piece to contemporary. it's like a live-action anime. hyper-sexualized teenagers, melodrama, fashion, and music is always playing

later I thought to mention that The Last American Virgin takes place in the valley

putneyswipe

I'm surprised you hadn't already seen this! One of the great valley films, IMO.

jenkins

it was actually a friend's copy in a friends setting. you know I was more into movies about troubled outsiders

jenkins

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song

You know, I'd never heard about it as a movie. Having heard about it as a cultural event (the beginning of blaxploitation), and a one-man's-creation movie, I lazily imagined I knew what the movie would be like, but it wasn't like that at all. Specifically, I didn't anticipate the range of this movie's cinematic grammar. Writer / director / producer / stuntman / musician / lead actor Melvin Van Peebles thoroughly immerses himself in the creative process of moviemaking. What a direct way for someone to communicate their imagination to me. This movie oozes with creative expression. In a special feature, Van Peebles explains that there had been the potential of an established actor as Sweetback, but Sweetback only says nine words the entire movie, which other actors didn't consider worth it, though Van Peebles knew it was exactly what he wanted so he did it himself. Damn I mean he really made this movie happen and I think that same energy exists in the movie today.

jenkins

Skinner's Dress Suit -- it's my catnip. I bought the Reginald Denny Collection from kino because my emotions consider such things necessary. The "debonair British star" who was a "former amateur boxing champion" who "made his name in a series of two-reelers about the fighting life." I need this for what I consider simple reasons, although, for some reason, no one agrees that I'm as simple as I consider myself. I first watched Skinner's Dress Suit, which is film 1 on disc 2, because it's a comedy and I liked the sound of it. and it delivered. a man in a city (filmed in la) works in an office and his wife asks him to ask for a promotion. he does but it doesn't work out. he says it works out. she becomes out. major uhoh. they fit themselves in with the local socialites. furniture is delivered. a deluxe radio. it's unrealistic for him but he can't admit it! then he's fired. oof. they got to another ball dance with the socialites and I forgot to mention he adorably learned a new type of dance at work, and he taught it to his wife over the phone, which his old boss caught him doing. at the new dance he's worried so he looks bored to some outsiders who suspect him to be among the  upper class because of how bored he looks. situations transpire such that he's offered a half-million dollar contract and becomes the junior partner of the company. the second adaptation of the novel this is based on. it's apparently a wildly seem silent movie (according to the commentary). as for the author, "Though his death merited an obituary with photograph in The New York Times, his work has not drawn much attention since his death." my catnip