The Green Knight

Started by jenkins, April 20, 2019, 01:05:06 AM

Alma

So excited for this. Just hoping they give it a wide release where I am.

Fitzroy

The Green Knight has just had its U.K. release pulled (should be hitting cinemas in two weeks),  with no word on when or how it might appear.

excellent

Drenk

Quote from: Fitzroy on July 26, 2021, 11:08:04 AM
The Green Knight has just had its U.K. release pulled (should be hitting cinemas in two weeks),  with no word on when or how it might appear.

excellent

No release date for France. No distributor, as far as I know. Everything is still a mess, it seems. For example, you now need to be vaccinated to attend a screening, which certainly affect recent releases that didn't plan that half of the population would be prohibited from seeing a movie.
Ascension.

Alma

Quote from: Fitzroy on July 26, 2021, 11:08:04 AM

excellent

Honestly so annoyed, I was going to make it my first trip to the cinema since Feb 2020, not sure what they're playing at with this. It's not like cinemas are going to close again or the rules change in the next two weeks.

Just Withnail

It premieres in Berlin in just a few days - but of course I just went away for three weeks...

©brad

OMFG THESE REVIEWS ARE INSANE GHOSTBOY IS GETTING IT DONE

(sorry continue to feel like a proud internet brother)

Cannot wait for this shit.

jenkins

it's playing around la at 7 on Thursday

Its 89 metacritic page

the Lowery Touch is a term I employed from the beginning, and now it's really glowing

QuoteThe power of Lowery's work here is to filter his many influences into a singular vision that feels entirely in his sole possession.

QuoteLowery (A Ghost Story, The Old Man & the Gun), in addition to fleshing out the story, puts his stamp all over it so confidently that the results could be annoying, if they weren't so enchanting.

QuoteLowery's version works because, like Brian Helgeland and Curtis Hanson's rewriting of L.A. Confidential, it captures the nature and meaning of the story rather than getting caught up in individual events or plot beats.

QuoteHere, the Texas writer-director revels in the opportunity to create image after image worthy of immortalization: The Green Knight is his most purely striking achievement, offering sprawling forests bathed in ghostly orange light and overhead shots that suggest the surveying eye of a curious god.

There is a review from someone who isn't having it. and although he's speaking about this movie specifically sometimes irl I hear lowery get shittalked like this. It's not the right perspective it's another perspective that isn't having it

It's clear to me that it isn't a literal adaptation, and although I'm glad I read the source material that seems mostly unrelated

I've said before, and it's true, that many years ago when I was living in an apartment with my mother, and ghostboy was living, wasn't he, in his parents' basement, I might be misremembering the exact place he was living, but we both sounded a bit off the track to success, and we exchanged just kind of normal polite messages with each other in the evening, saying we'd each keep believing in the dream we were following. I didn't land in the same place as him but I'll be goddamned if he didn't nail it

jenkins

Basically he doesn't know what to compare the narrative to

We all remember that Lowery edited Upstream Color, and although I'm of the inclination that that movie leads us nowhere, still, it worked to go nowhere, and the editing brought us there. As to say there's previous experience involved with the composition of a non-traditional narrative, certainly St Nick and A Ghost Story as well. It's meaningful that this isn't his first attempt at this, that he's been able to think about this and grow it, along with that extra time spent editing

Robyn

Jeremy Blackman

As expected, this was spectacular. Dev Patel grabs you and doesn't let go, and you don't even realize he's doing it. It's a very subtly magnetic and seductive performance.

This has some of the most beautiful and fascinating landscapes I've ever seen in a movie. In that respect, more than one of the Qatsi films, it reminded me of The Last Jedi. Can't help but wonder how they found all of these locations and whether they're all actually real.

David's overall approach here is very similar to A Ghost Story, especially in terms of aesthetics and pacing and just the sweeping feeling of it. But it's also a lot of fun! It's a conventionally propulsive narrative while still somehow being constantly beguiling.

My God I'm in love with that ending. I'd like to know what other people think. Spoiler discussions to follow, I'm sure.

jenkins

jb, following Qatsi with The Last Jedi is pinning the tail on the donkey after being spun. i see the donkey, and this statement is playful. you do just fine by comparing the philosophical shape to AGS, while noting its own narrative dynamics. honestly if ticket purchases correspond to internet interest it'll be a sold out weekend so will you discuss the ending with spoiler tags please, because i want to know the matter being discussed, and losing the sensation of novelty isn't a significant loss from my perspective

Jeremy Blackman

Yes that comparison was mostly bait, also a response to the tweet I posted. I did legitimately think of TLJ though.

Some spoilers to start the spoiler convo. I would not recommending getting spoiled, though. There are delightful turns, and I think the surprise was central to my enjoyment.

Spoiler: ShowHide
I'm not sure whether this interpretation is off-base or incredibly obvious, but either way, here it is.

I see the ending as a fulfillment of Gawain's declaration of honor. He sees his (potential) life flash before his eyes and realizes that not even maximum glory and success could bring back the honor he'd lose. Abandoning this quest is an irreversible decision. Not even knighthood or kinghood or military conquest could reclaim that honor. Based on his vision, he clearly doesn't expect it to be a happy or fulfilling life, either. (He notably declined to express love for his girlfriend in an earlier scene, perhaps already knowing the decision he'd have to make on his way up the ladder.)

Let's make another totally expected comparison: Romeo & Juliet. Most Shakespeare scholars agree it was probably intended as a comic tragedy about dumb kids, and their idiocy in the climax is supposed to amuse and frustrate you. Gawain is similarly dumb. Even with the rules clearly laid out, he decided to lop off the Green Knight's head, sealing his own fate.

So why not another comparison: It Follows. The consequences of Gawain's poor decision are inescapable. It's coming for him and always will be. (The throne room scene is such a potent poetic illustration of that!) As he says himself, in a way — one year or a hundred years, it wouldn't matter. He's going to lose his head. So along with "reap what you sow" there's definitely a lot of "death comes for us all."

jenkins

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on July 30, 2021, 12:37:10 AM
Even with the rules clearly laid out, he decided to lop off the Green Knight's head, sealing his own fate.

It's unclear to me what happens but you don't have to explain it. I think in of itself the way Lowery sparks intimate deliberation is a success. In the source text Gawain lops off the head of the Green Chapel Knight and his fate turns out to be that the mistress of the castle was the mastermind behind the testing of the virtue of King Arthur's court, and Gawain's only problem is he wore her garter belt she gave him to protect himself. all that happens is everyone starts wearing garter belts and accepting human fallibility. again, you don't have to split apart the differences here. it sounds like Gawain just dies which is a less interesting theme, and perhaps what Lowery was referencing in his book intro, but I'll have to see the movie to find out. I support this movie